PDA

View Full Version : great call umps

Fnazxc0114
10-22-2011, 08:24 PM
you gotta love how an umpire can control the outcome of the game.

yanks12025
10-22-2011, 10:21 PM
This is pretty funny. People yelled at me saying I was nothing but a sore loser when I complained how the Yankees got nothing but BS calls on Balls & Strikes while the Tigers got everything. But now that it's happening to another team, the umps are bad. But for the Yankees, nothing but being a sore loser.

sox83cubs84
10-22-2011, 10:45 PM
you gotta love how an umpire can control the outcome of the game.Not the first time, by any means...the 2005 White Sox rode bad umpire calls to a World Championship. The only differences were that there were 3 or 4, all going in Chicago's favor, and they came in the league playoff rounds...it could be argued that the Sox may not even have MADE IT to the Series without the plethora of bad calls favoring them in the LDS and LCS.

Dave Miedema

Fnazxc0114
10-23-2011, 10:03 AM
not arguing balls and strikes, im arguing the fact that holliday was out by three feet at first and the umpire blew the call. It changed the outcome of that inning. I guess the ump was just looking out for his home town team. He has been a cards fan his whole life. The worst part is the ump didnt care he missed the call on the biggest stage in baseball. This is just as bad as the blown call the cardinals had in 1985.

This is pretty funny. People yelled at me saying I was nothing but a sore loser when I complained how the Yankees got nothing but BS calls on Balls & Strikes while the Tigers got everything. But now that it's happening to another team, the umps are bad. But for the Yankees, nothing but being a sore loser.

Fnazxc0114
10-23-2011, 12:40 PM
well im over the call now, hope its a better game tonight.

jbsportstuff
10-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Five words...Bernie Carbo safe at home...one of the worst blown calls ever.

The umps back was literally turned the other way.

70to66
10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
I think in the post season each team should get 1 challenge per game. The ump did get it wrong, but I still think the cardinals would have won the game.

frikativ54
10-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Good teams find ways to win in spite of umpires.

70to66
10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
I agree.

Fnazxc0114
10-23-2011, 06:21 PM
great point frik, especially when the other team gets extra outs. On an even playing ground the good team should find a way to win.

camarokids
10-23-2011, 06:34 PM
The home plate umpire screwed up the call at the plate with Napoli tagging up to score. His foot hit the bag before the tag.

We will never know, with the missed call at first, there are two outs with nobody on base. The game could have gone completely different. Sometimes one bad call can change a game totally.

I don't really care who wins the WS. But lets not let the umps influence the outcome!

I liked the Cards for years. They trained for 75 years in ST. Pete, FL where I lived many years. I started collecting game used bats thanks to the Cards in the Spring of 1997. I got 20 bats during Training Camp that year.

godwulf
10-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Good teams find ways to win in spite of umpires.

Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. The fact remains that no team, good or bad, should ever have to overcome both the other team and an umpire's incompetence. Umpiring mistakes should not simply be accepted as a part of the game. It may take twenty or thirty years, but instant replay on more than just "boundary calls" is coming...and probably some kind of electronic check on balls and strikes, as well.

cjclong
10-27-2011, 11:51 AM
I have been against replay, but I'm changing my mind. I've seen too many plays recently that weren't even close and the umpire got it wrong like the tag out non call at first in the series and blown call on what should of been the last out of what should have been a perfect game in Detroit last year. I accept that it is impossible to review every play, the game would last 6 or 7 hours. But I think a limited number of challenges like they have in football would be appropriate. They already now review some home run calls. Of course it wouldn't cover every bad call, the challenge in football doesn't allow for every holding or clipping call. But it does allow a team to challenge what they think are the worst and most important calls.