PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone put their high-end jerseys in a safe?

benjoe55
10-21-2011, 06:35 PM
Does anyone put their high-end jerseys in a safe?

If so, which safe do you use?

Apparently, you will have to fold your jerseys to fit it in a safe. Is folding a jersey such a bad thing to do that it outweighs using a safe?

joelsabi
10-21-2011, 10:06 PM
Here is a great thread started by dcgreg25 on Storing & Preserving Game Used Jerseys.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=34195

Swoboda4
10-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Well the more interesting aspect to your question is the folding. Safety vs folding. I tried folding the jersey but one side gets the chance of hard to rid folding marks on the non viewed stitched lettering/number(s).I keep the 86 Dykstra G/U home pinstripe World Series jersey on a wide hanger to the exact width of the shoulders seem to seem. Kept at 68 degrees, no attics no basements no garages. Building is secure and display is carriage bolted to wall beems. Reminicent to the Declaration of Independance display just vertical. All for a just released ,talented champion,off his rocker car wash owner.

stlbats
10-22-2011, 11:02 AM
I have considered putting my gu bats and jerseys in a gun safe. I dont have anywhere to display my stuff right now anyway. Gun safes are expensive, but what isn't. Jerseys could be hung and bats could be hung or leaned up safely.

Gridiron Heroes
10-22-2011, 11:55 AM
I used to hang all of my jerseys on nice wooden hangers and out of direct sunlight and store my bowl rings/watches in my safe. Since I moved into my tiny beach condo I store the jerseys from my personal collection in my Marion Barber Cowboys game used equipment bag (about 35 jerseys jam packed that I've picked up over the past year), and my bowl rings in my girlfriends jewelry box :confused: . I've got no storage space, but a million dollar view.

Always looking for former Gophers game used jeresys/helmets!

Shawn Kennedy
gridironheroes22@yahoo.com
GridironHeroes.net

d4347
10-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey Swaboda4, would you be able to post pics of the 86 Dykstra or email them to me. I would love to see them. It's one of the jersey's I wish I had.

robertbrender@hotmail.com

benjoe55
10-22-2011, 01:12 PM
I asked the question because the advantages of a (fire-proof) safe are protection against fire, theft and other natural disasters. If the high-end jersey is in a closet or drawer, the jersey likely is toast in the face of a fire or natural disaster--no matter how well the jersey was handled and treated.

I am on the fence as to whether to buy a safe or to leave the jerseys stored in a closet on hangers or folded within plastic bags in a chest.

Thanks for your thoughts.

CampWest
10-22-2011, 01:39 PM
I've been considering a large fire proof safe too, but the cost and size/weight are a major concern. A "24 gun" safe is $900+-, then you get hit for a huge $250 delivery fee and hopefully that includes installation. The large fire safes weigh upwards of 500 lbs or more. So if you ever move its either another 200-300 dollars to hire a moving company to move it or you sell it with the house.

benjoe55
10-22-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm looking at this Cannon safe via Costco:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11670675&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114|3373&N=4042061&Mo=32&No=10&ViewAll=998&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3373&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

320 pounds and $399 (until 11/6) with shipping and handling included; will have to fold a limited number of jerseys--but then I only have a limited number of high-end jerseys.

Billy77
10-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Just remember most safes are "fire proof" for a certain amount of time! Please check specs if u are buying an expensive safe.;)

asr1084
10-22-2011, 07:02 PM
I store all of my gu items in a 36 gun safe and it is comforting knowing that i dont have much to worry about. I also keep mini dehumidifiers to control humidity and moistuee. If you can afford it it is truly the best way to go for complete protection. Bats are perfect for this as they fit well in the gun racks. Highly highly recomended.

benjoe55
10-22-2011, 07:07 PM
I store all of my gu items in a 36 gun safe and it is comforting knowing that i dont have much to worry about. I also keep mini dehumidifiers to control humidity and moistuee. If you can afford it it is truly the best way to go for complete protection. Bats are perfect for this as they fit well in the gun racks. Highly highly recomended.

Can you hang a jersey in a gun safe? From pictures, a gun safe doesn't seem to have enough depth.

asr1084
10-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Can you hang a jersey in a gun safe? From pictures, a gun safe doesn't seem to have enough depth.

In my 36 gun safe you could but it would be tight. Most have a center divider makinf that tough. I guess you could remove that and easily do so. Im not a jersey guy but you ca certainly hang a jersey in one. I think a 36 gun safe is about the snlmallest you can go for a jersey display without folding it. Gun safes come bigger but also get very expensive. With safes you get what you pay for and its worth spending a little more on one ilfor the oeace mind in my opinion. My wife thought i was crazy but she likes it now that iys all consolidated lol. ;)

asr1084
10-22-2011, 07:26 PM
With a 36 gun safe you could display a jersey hanging up horizontal facing you flat and it would not require you to put it in sideways to fit. For storing a gun safe is the only way. The only negative is your stuff is locked up and not displayed at all times. Btw sorry for my horrible spelling as i am using a touch screen phone and it is not easy.

benjoe55
10-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Here is a great thread started by dcgreg25 on Storing & Preserving Game Used Jerseys.

dcgreg25 DID indeed write a great guide in preserving textiles. Thanks.

benjoe55
11-09-2011, 08:56 PM
Here is a gun safe with adjustable shelves. You might have to add something, in order to hang jerseys, but you will be able to hang jerseys within the safe. $799 including shipping:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11621869&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|114|3373&N=4042061&Mo=30&No=4&ViewAll=998&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3373&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=