PDA

View Full Version : Ebay GOODEN AUTHENTIC SIGNED 1983 GAME USED JERSEY

Doodles
10-18-2011, 11:26 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/METS-DWIGHT-DOC-GOODEN-AUTHENTIC-SIGNED-1983-GAME-USED-JERSEY-PSA-P72684-/130589773106?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e67c1cd32

Where to begin on this item...I'll start it off

1) The number fonts are very amateurish and certainly nothing the Mets ever wore

2) Gooden's first game was in 1984.

3) Other examples of this 1983 home alt have a name on back

4) There is no evidence the 1983 home alts were ever worn in a regular season game.

Anybody else want to add to the list?

sox83cubs84
10-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Actually, the collar tagging looks fairly normal...but NOT for a Gooden jersey. It looks like someone took a legitimate common 1983 jersey and tried to "create" a Gooden out of it.

Avoid.

Dave Miedema

Doodles
10-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Actually, the collar tagging looks fairly normal...but NOT for a Gooden jersey. It looks like someone took a legitimate common 1983 jersey and tried to "create" a Gooden out of it.

Avoid.

Dave Miedema

and some company authenticated it.

sox83cubs84
10-19-2011, 07:14 PM
I'd want to see the actual PSA/DNA LOA. It's highly possible that their authentication was limited to just the autograph, and the "game used" misdescription is on the seller's part. It wouldn't be the first time a seller has either become confused or intentionally set out to deceive on an "Autograph Only" LOA from PSA or JSA.

Dave Miedema

DeacDoug
10-19-2011, 09:16 PM
I'm guessing Gooden wore this jersey with the Lynchburg Mets, arguably one of the greatest minor league teams ever.

earlywynnfan
10-19-2011, 09:56 PM
I don't see the seller actually selling this as a jersery worn by Gooden. He's selling it as a Dwight Gooden signed (which it is) jersey that is game worn (which it is.) But nowhere does he say it's used by Gooden.

Now, if you want to read that it's supposedly worn by Gooden, well, I'm sure he won't stop you from believing that. But he's not actually making that claim.

Don't you love sellers who word items in a shady manner??

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Doodles
10-19-2011, 10:26 PM
I don't see the seller actually selling this as a jersery worn by Gooden. He's selling it as a Dwight Gooden signed (which it is) jersey that is game worn (which it is.) But nowhere does he say it's used by Gooden.

Now, if you want to read that it's supposedly worn by Gooden, well, I'm sure he won't stop you from believing that. But he's not actually making that claim.

Don't you love sellers who word items in a shady manner??

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

I read it again...I'm no language expert, but this would not pass the "red-face" test.

benjoe55
10-19-2011, 11:41 PM
Another thing...it's tagged "15"--not"16".

trsent
10-20-2011, 04:16 AM
and some company authenticated it.

PSA/DNA does not authenticate game use of a jersey, they only authenticated the autograph on the jersey.

They have authenticated some jerseys for NFL Auctions I believe in the past, but anything with a basic certificate or letter of authenticity from PSA/DNA is just for the autograph(s).

As for the debate, the description and title lead anyone buying this item to believe it was worn by Dwight Gooden. If it was game used by someone else it should be mentioned, otherwise it is very misleading.

Doodles
10-20-2011, 05:08 AM
Another thing...it's tagged "15"--not"16".

Good point...that would make it a George Foster. Here he is shown in a home BP.

http://dallaspenn.com/pics/albums/crapmusiclogos/george_foster.jpg

Remember that the 1983 Home alt, like the one in the auction, is a bit of a mystery. It is definitely not the road alt (which had gray letters and orange outline) and not the home BP (white outline, no name on back). people own them with 1983 tagging, but I never remember them ever being worn in a game at Shea and even people who own them can't document their game use or produce a picture.