PDA

View Full Version : Brian Jordan 1999 home jersey on eBay

kylehess10
10-13-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm a little confused by the Brian Jordan 1999 home jersey on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brian-Jordan-Game-Worn-Signed-Jersey-1999-Braves-/190588134682?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item2c5ff0251a#ht_896wt_1110

First, I noticed this is a Set 3 1999 home jersey of Brian Jordan. I actually own a 1999 home jersey worn by Brian Jordan which is also a Set 3. Mine was worn during the regular season, during the playoffs (NLCS), and reworn in 2000 Spring Training (photomatches confirm this)

I've checked a few websites and saw plenty of images of Brian Jordan in a 1999 home jersey, but I cannot find any photos of him wearing the one in the auction (I confirmed that via the alignment of the front logo in the images I looked at).

Also, if there's TWO Set 3 Brian Jordan 1999 home jerseys out there, then wouldn't that mean there's 6 total atleast? That seems like way too many home jerseys to be issued in 1999.

Opinions?

sox83cubs84
10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Kyle:

If this one was worn, it didn't see any 2000 spring training action, as there is no ML logo on the back of the neck (those were added in 2000 spring training).

Dave Miedema

kylehess10
10-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Kyle:

If this one was worn, it didn't see any 2000 spring training action, as there is no ML logo on the back of the neck (those were added in 2000 spring training).

Dave Miedema

Yes, that's correct. I've always assumed my jersey was worn for all of Spring Training. I already knew the one from the auction couldn't have lasted past 1999 (especially since the Hank Aaron patch is still attached too)

Also, I should add: I remember a collector telling me a couple years ago that every Set 3 home jersey from 1999 was supposed to be used for Spring Training the following year. That's definitely the case for my jersey, but not this one.

apfriz
10-16-2011, 07:00 PM
the other note on the jordan jersey that drives me nuts is the stain by the nameplate....it seems it would be sooooo easy to find that in an image, but I could never find anything ???

and trying not to be redundant, but I have 3 '99 home jersey too, and it is my understanding that all set 3's were worn in the playoffs and 2000 spring training as well, but....There are exceptions to all rules, perhaps this is one....

I have a 99 Javy Lopez that is "4 8 99" but the use is rediculous and he had a shortened season...? the aaron patch is there, no mlb patch in the back, so who knows...maybe they blow through catcher's jerseys so they make more??

maybe you saw the John Hudek '99 home gamer with the '1 99' strip tag...
the tag makes me question the jersey, but as I say, sometimes there are exceptions....perhaps they accidentally made two 3 33 99 strips and just said screw it, use 'em both....

What other '99 braves jerseys do you have....
I have smoltz,(1 29 99) AJones (2 25 99), and Javy...(4 8 99)
All three auto'd too....i love these jerseys....

kylehess10
10-16-2011, 07:10 PM
the other note on the jordan jersey that drives me nuts is the stain by the nameplate....it seems it would be sooooo easy to find that in an image, but I could never find anything ???

and trying not to be redundant, but I have 3 '99 home jersey too, and it is my understanding that all set 3's were worn in the playoffs and 2000 spring training as well, but....There are exceptions to all rules, perhaps this is one....

I have a 99 Javy Lopez that is "4 8 99" but the use is rediculous and he had a shortened season...? the aaron patch is there, no mlb patch in the back, so who knows...maybe they blow through catcher's jerseys so they make more??

maybe you saw the John Hudek '99 home gamer with the '1 99' strip tag...
the tag makes me question the jersey, but as I say, sometimes there are exceptions....perhaps they accidentally made two 3 33 99 strips and just said screw it, use 'em both....

What other '99 braves jerseys do you have....
I have smoltz,(1 29 99) AJones (2 25 99), and Javy...(4 8 99)
All three auto'd too....i love these jerseys....

Those are some sweet '99 jerseys you have! The Jordan is the only one I own that is pre-2006. I always wonder who has jerseys from all of these great Braves players from that era. You rarely see them hit the market.

Would you happen to know if any of the Set 3 jerseys were worn in the World Series too? I was lucky to match my Jordan jersey to the NLCS (from a full-res photo) but I've never been able to find clear pictures of him in the World Series. I figured he wore a different jersey but ya never know. It sure would be nice if he continued wearing it past the NLCS.

apfriz
10-16-2011, 07:47 PM
that was always my assumption..I've never owned one (set 3), so I am at the mercy of what I read....that they used set 3 because they were newer in the playoffs, then recycled them for 2000 spring training...but very true, I never see them surface very often....
and I am always looking!

I saw a glavine 99 home gamer come up some time ago, with a smoltz jersey at the same time (i think the smoltz was a 2006?), but the asking price was so much more than I could afford...and it went before I could even try to muster up the cash...I dont imagine that will pop up again for a while...

Out of curiousity if you DID find one of the set 3's and it had the patch removed and MLB added to the collar, would you restore it to a 1999 look, or keep it as is?

I always asked myself if I would restore a jersey if I knew what I had, but I think I would be too afraid of damaging a good jersey, and be happy with perhaps getting (hopefully) a good photo to show what you have....

What methods to you prefer when trying to match the jersey's from the late 90's Kyle...getty? is there a better / alternate site I should try..

I have some great jersey's from 98, and an AJones from 2000 that I would love to match, but I dont know how to manipulate the getty images to get closer looks to verify those intricate details that make all the difference....

kylehess10
10-16-2011, 08:39 PM
that was always my assumption..I've never owned one (set 3), so I am at the mercy of what I read....that they used set 3 because they were newer in the playoffs, then recycled them for 2000 spring training...but very true, I never see them surface very often....
and I am always looking!

I saw a glavine 99 home gamer come up some time ago, with a smoltz jersey at the same time (i think the smoltz was a 2006?), but the asking price was so much more than I could afford...and it went before I could even try to muster up the cash...I dont imagine that will pop up again for a while...

Out of curiousity if you DID find one of the set 3's and it had the patch removed and MLB added to the collar, would you restore it to a 1999 look, or keep it as is?

I always asked myself if I would restore a jersey if I knew what I had, but I think I would be too afraid of damaging a good jersey, and be happy with perhaps getting (hopefully) a good photo to show what you have....

What methods to you prefer when trying to match the jersey's from the late 90's Kyle...getty? is there a better / alternate site I should try..

I have some great jersey's from 98, and an AJones from 2000 that I would love to match, but I dont know how to manipulate the getty images to get closer looks to verify those intricate details that make all the difference....

Well if I could prove it was worn in the World Series, I'd still probably keep it in its original condition. It sure would look nice though if it had the World Series & Hank Aaron patch still attached, I just don't like adding anything that wasn't there when it was worn.

I had matched my Jordan jersey from images on Getty. There's a way you can photomatch a Braves jersey via the alignment. After collecting Braves jerseys for serveral years now, I've realized that every single jersey they wear is different when it comes to the alignment. Having 2 Braves jerseys with the same alignment is like have 2 Yankees jerseys with pinstripes in the same positions....it's just near impossible. There's about 8-10 specific spots on the front logo that can differ. I look for every single spot...sometimes the smallest bit of detail can differ, but it helps me determine when/how long my Braves jerseys were worn.

If you want to send me some pics of the jerseys you have, I can help you find some pics of them being worn, if there's pics out there though. Usually there are....I use many websites to find images, no matter the year.