PDA

View Full Version : Mets 1986 WS Photo?

Doodles
10-11-2011, 10:04 PM
According to multiple accounts I have read, either while Gary Carter was coming to the plate in Game 6 of the 1986 WS, or during Mookie's at bat, the Diamond Vision flashed "Congratulations Red Sox" or "Congratulations Boston" for a few seconds.

Has anyone ever seen a photo of this?

TNTtoys
10-12-2011, 04:32 PM
I know it appears in a video that I have of either the year's highlights or the series highlights (there are several videos).

What I don't recall clearly is whether or not it is shown in the video or just talked about.

When I have some time, I will check it out for you...

Doodles
10-12-2011, 05:35 PM
I know it appears in a video that I have of either the year's highlights or the series highlights (there are several videos).

What I don't recall clearly is whether or not it is shown in the video or just talked about.

When I have some time, I will check it out for you...

Thanks..the more I read about it, the bigger mystery it becomes.

In The Bad Guys Won, by Pearlman, he tells a detailed story of a Diamond Vision operator named Mike Ryan, Mass. native, who ordered up a Congratulations Red Sox screen on a preview monitor as soon as Backman flew out. The three words inadvertantly flashed as Carter was strolling to the plate for no more than 5 seconds…he screamed “get that s**t off now!”

In his Daily News column, 10/27/86, Mike Lupica writes that “with Mookie at the plate-and Congratulations Boston coming on the message board, then going-the Mets were one strike away again.”

I watched the game tape and saw nothing with no mention of it or any unexplained crowd reaction. So we now have two more questions…did it appear with Carter coming to the plate, or with Mookie up? Did it say Congratulations Red Sox or Boston? I have also read that it said "Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox 1986 WS Champs." I also read that George Kalinsky took a photo of it. I actually emailed him and he has no recollection of it. I cannot find any photo on Google, Getty or Corbis.

I would tend to think that by the time Mookie was up, they did not have Congratulations Whatever queued up. In fact on the tape, during Mookie’s at bat, I clearly saw “Let’s Go Mets” on Diamond Vision. That probably stayed up there. It’s pretty much certain that something did flash at some point. I also watched 1986 A Year to Remember with no luck. I also watched Ken Burns' Baseball, which had a great interview with Bob Costas about how he was all set to do the Red Sox locker room celebration.