PDA

View Full Version : Mark Grant Giants Jersey Help?

delhommejake17
10-10-2011, 06:50 AM
May sound like amateur question...but was wondering why #34 designation is not on tag in front, only the year 84...thanks:D

jppopma
10-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Every team has their own style of tagging. Some have just the year, others will have any combination of: name, number, size, set, or inventory numbers.

If the Giants normally would have the number on the tag, this was likely due to Grant being a later call up. Many teams would make up year tagged blanks and add NOB and numbers to them as needed later in the season.

sox83cubs84
10-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Grant was called up approximately 3 weeks after the season started, so that may have something to do with it.

Also, while I can't recall the exact words, I recall Lon Lewis indicating that the Giants had a year tagged-only set in 1984, related to the Giants reusing one of their 1983 sets in 1984.

Dave Miedema

lon lewis
10-10-2011, 03:52 PM
Just to be clear on this, the Giants did recycle 1 set of the '83 jerseys in 1984. For the home versions it required removing the memorial armband and adding the '84 All Star patch. For the roads, since they didn't have the armband it required only adding the All Star patch. The 1984 jerseys ordered ( in early spring training) for specific players/coaches and Mgr did carry the number and year designations. The blank jersey order carried only the year designation and were used for the most part for those players who were either aquired after the original jersey was made in spring training, ( Al Oliver for example) aquired during the season (Dusty Baker for example) or called up during the season. (Mark Grant falls into this catagory) And in a rare instance to replace a damaged jersey of a player. ( Duane Kuiper decided to cut the tail off of his jerseys and cut at least one too short) What was interesting to me during this period is that the Giants Dugout stores also sold some blank jerseys ( not all) with the year designation on them in '84, '85 & 86

sox83cubs84
10-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Lon...thanks for clarifying what I remembered.

Dave M.