PDA

View Full Version : Game Worn Walter Payton Jersey???

fbchiefs879
10-10-2011, 01:30 AM
Does this seem legit to you guys??? Any experience with this company??

http://www.milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=21818&searchby=0&searchvalue=None&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=100&category=23&seo=1985-Walter-Payton-Chicago-Bears-Game-Used-Road-Jersey

trod3ks
10-10-2011, 01:10 PM
If it has the blessing of Grey Flannel, it is the real deal. Grey Flannel have been commissioned to sell the personal collections of several former payers including Mantle and Maris. They are the best!

solarlottry
10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
A Grey Flannel letter and 2$ will get you on the subway! Just because any item has a GF letter does not mean that it is authentic. I cannot tell you how often I have seen items in their auctions that are complete junk. On the other hand they have some very nice items as well. It goes back to doing one's homework and researching the jersey before bidding.

Mile High, from my experience, does NOT have a good reputation! They had a 94 Jerry Rice away gamer up for auction a while back that was so obviously fake it was laughable! I contacted them and they never responded nor did they pull it. It eventually sold for over 2500$. There is a thread about it on GUU in the auction section.

I am interested in the Jim Harbaugh Colts gamer they have so I started looking at Getty last night and have not come up with a match although it is a style match. I am gonna start a thread regarding the shirt today.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 49er gamer! Paying a finders fee as well

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

sox83cubs84
10-10-2011, 02:18 PM
It wouldn't be a 1985 if it's legit...that style of Wilson tag didn't appear until the following year. Amazing how any Bears jersey of a Super Bowl 20 player, regardless of identifying features, "magically" becomes a 1985 jersey when offered for public sale.

Dave Miedema

Lokee
10-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Not to mention that wilson tag looks pretty "vibrant in color" for being 26 years old and worn by Payton.

Falcon
10-11-2011, 12:27 AM
Paul, how do u keep up with all these auctions!? Please let me know if u come accross any Deion or Falcons gamers!

A Grey Flannel letter and 2$ will get you on the subway! Just because any item has a GF letter does not mean that it is authentic. I cannot tell you how often I have seen items in their auctions that are complete junk. On the other hand they have some very nice items as well. It goes back to doing one's homework and researching the jersey before bidding.

Mile High, from my experience, does NOT have a good reputation! They had a 94 Jerry Rice away gamer up for auction a while back that was so obviously fake it was laughable! I contacted them and they never responded nor did they pull it. It eventually sold for over 2500$. There is a thread about it on GUU in the auction section.

I am interested in the Jim Harbaugh Colts gamer they have so I started looking at Getty last night and have not come up with a match although it is a style match. I am gonna start a thread regarding the shirt today.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 49er gamer! Paying a finders fee as well

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Titans74
10-11-2011, 12:33 AM
If it has the blessing of Grey Flannel, it is the real deal. Grey Flannel have been commissioned to sell the personal collections of several former payers including Mantle and Maris. They are the best!

Employed by GF? Sounds like it.

David
10-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Mile High is a legitimate auction house, but their specialty is sportscards.

sox83cubs84
10-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Mile High is a legitimate auction house, but their specialty is sportscards.

Agreed. They're NOT inherently dishonest, but they seem to be way over their heads when it comes to game-used items, and, based on a couple of Forum posts, not real big in accepting outside help that conflicts with the opinions of their "experts".

Dave Miedema

34swtns
10-14-2011, 05:54 AM
Those plastic or "silk" tags weren't applied to Bears jerseys until 1987.

Overall, the jersey looks pretty clean to have been a Payton gamer. It's easy to fake "scuffs, hit marks" and "team repairs". What's not easy to duplicate is damage to the heat-pressed numbers and letters which you will see plenty of on any of the widely recognized Payton gamers that have traded hands over the years. The numbers on this example look pristine.

mickeymbz
10-15-2011, 09:03 PM

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

it might even get you thrown off the subway.. couldnt have said it any better! people still sold on a LOA as the final word.. unbelievable.
100% agreed paul

woody1351
10-16-2011, 08:34 AM
i've been watching this auction house for the fins helmet, it has a lou lampson loa so its gotta be legit. there arent may pics that i can find for trying to photomatch it and i dont know enough about helmets to buy it.

sox83cubs84
10-16-2011, 03:01 PM
i've been watching this auction house for the fins helmet, it has a lou lampson loa so its gotta be legit. there arent may pics that i can find for trying to photomatch it and i dont know enough about helmets to buy it.

See the previous comments on this thread regarding Grey Flannel's LOAs...those remarks go DOUBLE for Lou!

Dave Miedema

woody1351
10-16-2011, 03:42 PM
i know my comment about lou was in a joking manner in my head.

sox83cubs84
10-16-2011, 10:20 PM
i know my comment about lou was in a joking manner in my head.

Phew....glad it was sarcasm...you had me worried for a minute.

Dave M.

trsent
10-17-2011, 03:45 AM

Lou probably knows more about helmets than you do. His system is poor, but I thought he knew football. Or at least vintage football. Something like that.

There is a member on here, Arenas or something like that, who knows the most about helmets. You should start a new thread and ask about it with a link to the auction.