PDA

View Full Version : Bryce the phenom, maybe not.....

OaklandAsFan
10-08-2011, 10:36 PM
whopping 0 for 13 to start this AFL season. The saddest part is that IMO the pitching is weak this year. There have been some crazy scores the first week.

legaleagle92481
10-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Its 13 at bats lets give the kid a couple of weeks before we write him off. It could be fatigue is starting to set in. He has probably never played as many games as he has this year.

TNTtoys
10-09-2011, 10:50 AM
I remember Mets youngster Nick Evans starting off this year terribly. He was up and down from the minors to the majors from May through July and was 0 for his 1st 15 or 16 at bats. By July 7, he was hitting .000. He then began collecting a few odd hits but 1 month later, on August 6th, he was hitting in the .140s. Fast forward 3 weeks, and he was on .300 by the end of August.

Same thing happened with Lucas Duda. As a part-time player, he batted .292 with 10 HRs and 50 RBIs for the Mets this season in 100 games/301 at bats. After his first 42 at bats this season, he was batting .143 with no home runs and 4 RBIs.

Give this kid another few weeks... Some of the newer guys are slow starters.

kylehess10
10-09-2011, 11:25 PM
I agree that there needs to be more time to see him play before jumping to conclusions that he's a fail.

Everyone needs to remember how much this kid has been through this year. It's his first year as a pro....he's probably never played this much baseball in his life, so you know he has to be tired right now.

frikativ54
10-09-2011, 11:45 PM
If you haven't been mired in an 0 for 13 slump, odds are you haven't played pro ball. Bryce will figure things out; he's got all the talent in the world.

-Frik

OaklandAsFan
10-10-2011, 01:28 AM
FYI guys it was said in jest. I know he will come around eventually. If anything its good that he is finally starting to struggle a little. He needs to be humbled a bit and learn to get himself out of a slump and emotionally get through it.

geoff
10-10-2011, 02:42 AM
Give the kid some time.He is going to be really good I think.

G1X
12-04-2011, 01:30 AM
In case anyone missed it, below are Harper's final 2011 Arizona Fall League stats. Looks like he did alright! He hit .333 (31 for 93) with 14 extra base hits (6 homers), 26 RBI, 17 runs scored, .400 OBP and .634 slugging pct. (1.034 OPS.)

In his last 10 games, he hit .427 with a .487 OBP and .743 slugging pct. (1.230 OPS). Nats fans are pleased!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, NFL/AFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game used items.

OaklandAsFan
12-04-2011, 03:18 AM
yeah I meant to find this thread a few weeks back and update it, he tore it up the last few weeks, too bad he still has his douchy attitude

Titans74
12-04-2011, 04:05 AM
yeah I meant to find this thread a few weeks back and update it, he tore it up the last few weeks, too bad he still has his douchy attitude

Douche attitude to go along with that steroid jaw. Kid is just another overrated, over hyped prospect.

brianborsch
12-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, I am not a fan of his douchy attitude, but I can't not say his performance has been awesome. He has been able to handle baseball wherever he has played. And he is still just 19!

I don't think he is over-hyped. Well maybe just a little, but he is certainly way ahead than anyone else in the minors at that age.

OaklandAsFan
12-04-2011, 12:46 PM
i personally will be very surprised if he doesn't get a real look to make the club out of ST and fully expect him to be trolling the outfield at Nationals stadium by June at the latest.

yanks12025
12-04-2011, 01:00 PM
What about his Double-A numbers, those were great..:p

freddiefreeman5
12-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I have never seen so many people wanting someone to fail.

Do you all have bat envy? :D

flota89
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I've gotta say, I'm pulling for Bryce to live up to the hype.

chakes89
12-04-2011, 05:10 PM

Do you all have bat envy? :D

Haters gonna hate :D

frikativ54
12-04-2011, 05:38 PM
I've gotta say, I'm pulling for Bryce to live up to the hype.

Is that you in the pic?

brianborsch
12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I personally don't want him to fail. I just don't like his attitude. But like I said, given his history thus far and his ability to adapt thus far, I think he is the top prospect everyone has said he is.

I would love for him to succeed and help the Nats improve their team. They already are filling some gaps so once he is up, his impact will be really felt.

flota89
12-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Is that you in the pic?
Yes. I'm on the left. We took that photo in Arizona this summer the day of the Futures Game.

sox83cubs84
12-04-2011, 11:06 PM

Two words. Tim. Tebow.

Dave Miedema

freddiefreeman5
12-05-2011, 08:18 AM
If you guys think Harper is the only player, especially teenage player, to come in with an attitude then you really don't know that much about baseball history.

Even the beloved Bob Feller (one of my favorite by the way) told the scout that he was the best he would ever see. He said that he would put more people in the stands than Babe Ruth.
He was 17 at the time, acting like a 17 year old.

Satchel Paige was the king of smack talk and was never ashamed to talk about how great he was.

I hope Harper never puts his head down and acts the way others want him to.
I bet that if Harper signed with the haters favorite team and did become great the attitudes would be different.

Titans74
12-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I wouldn't care which team he played for, mine included. I just don't care for the kid. I don't "hate" anyone, especially just some athlete. I just don't care for him and feel in the grand scheme of things he is and will be just another player who never lives up to the hype. Ala Delmon Young.

allstarsplus
12-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Keep the politics and religion talk for the politics and religion blogs. Some of you have been warned before. I deleted 17 posts with no substance. Actually many of the others just seem to attack Bryce Harper's personality. We don't even allow personal attacks on other Forum members and I didn't delete those since Bryce isn't a Forum member.

I have met Bryce many times and he was very kind to my children which I was very appreciative of. He is still a teenager, keep that in mind.

allstarsplus
12-05-2011, 10:32 PM
I wanted to share these pictures of Bryce with 2 of my children in 2010.

Titans74
12-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Keep the politics and religion talk for the politics and religion blogs. Some of you have been warned before. I deleted 17 posts with no substance. Actually many of the others just seem to attack Bryce Harper's personality. We don't even allow personal attacks on other Forum members and I didn't delete those since Bryce isn't a Forum member.

I have met Bryce many times and he was very kind to my children which I was very appreciative of. He is still a teenager, keep that in mind.

Biased much?

allstarsplus
12-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Biased much?

Sure I am. It doesn't change my statement in the 1st paragraph.

coxfan
12-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm delighted to hear that political content's been deleted. Like many independents, I deplore the lack of respect that persons at both political extremes have for each other. We'll keep a positive focus here if we stay on topic. (And feel free to delete my post, as my second sentence is the only political statement I'll ever make on this forum.)

MSpecht
12-06-2011, 12:44 PM
One of the best quores about young ballplayers ever. As manager Casey Stengel once put it so eloquently, when asked about his team's poor performance: "Our phenoms ain't phenomenating!"

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com

freddiefreeman5
12-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Titans,
Your sig line is so strange. You blast Harper and yet you are looking for R. Palmerio items. That has to be the most confusing thing I have ever read on here.

Titans sig line :
"$$$ Top dollar paid for R. Palmeiro 1996-1998, 2004-2005 Orioles game used photomatched iems. Will pay RIDICULOUS prices for the right item.

Bryce Harper = ML BUST! Poor attitude. Should he investigated for steroids."

OaklandAsFan
12-06-2011, 10:13 PM
I think the general consensus here is that Bryce has a crappy attitude, Raffy was always nice whenever I saw him. I scored dozens of graphs from him during his playing days (pretty much every time I asked he signed for me) and he also gave me a bat once just because I congratulated him on his 500 HR.

bad attitudes generally lead to people wanting you to fail and rooting against you.

Steroids or not you cannot call Raffy a ML bust, he had a great career in an era where its pretty well known at this point damn near everyone was doing it so you had to do it to even the playing field.

I used to be very vocal agains the steroid users but have just come to a point where I accept it for what it is, a black mark on the history of the game that hopefully has been cleaned up at this point. Steroid users will suffer due to that era and some players who may not have used may also suffer. The only people I really have issues with are people with bad attitudes and flat denial despite the mountains of evidence against them (Bonds, Clemens)

freddiefreeman5
12-06-2011, 11:18 PM
He is accusing Harper of steroid use like it is bad and horrible when the player he collects actually was caught using steroids.

Like I said before, if Harper was an Oriole he would love him.

freddiefreeman5
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Harper to compete for right field job.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bcjb2

brianborsch
12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Well good for him. It sounds like he has the right kind of manager to help him attain his goals. I think I recall Harper saying he wanted to be in the bigs before age 20. He certainly has more of a chance after that statement. Now all he has to do is perform in Spring.

Again, I hope he does well. I just hope his attitude doesn't sabotage his career. Good luck Mr. Harper!

Titans74
12-16-2011, 06:14 PM
He is accusing Harper of steroid use like it is bad and horrible when the player he collects actually was caught using steroids.

Like I said before, if Harper was an Oriole he would love him.

Wrong. Yes, I like Raffy and McGwire and several others "cheaters". And yes, I do think Harper is a roid user. I have since he was in HS. I don't care what team he is on. He is an arrogant prick. And that has been proven time and time again by many video clips and my watching him play and interact with people. The Nats can keep him. My O's will still be in last place regardless lol