PDA

View Full Version : Phillies out!

BULBUS
10-08-2011, 06:41 AM
The teams with the two best records are out!

Misery loves company :D

flota89
10-08-2011, 09:32 AM
The title should say CARDINALS IN! :D

xpress34
10-08-2011, 10:34 AM
Just goes to show that Money (Payroll) and Wins don't mean everything...

Not only were the Phils and Yanks ranked 1 and 2 in MLB for Wins, they were also 1 and 2 in MLB for Payroll:

The Phillies had a $178 million payroll in 2011, second only to the $202 million that the New York Yankees spent.

Can't wait for Tigers @ Rangers starting tonight - GO RANGERS!!!

As far as Cardinals @ Brewers, I have to root for the CARDINALS!!!

Shipp_96
10-08-2011, 10:50 AM
The teams with the two best records are out!

Misery loves company :D

+1

legaleagle92481
10-08-2011, 10:53 AM
The Yankees rotation sucks and they have several week spots in their batting order so their loss doesn't shock me. If they had won they would have been lucky to get two games off the Rangers. The Phils loss isn't shocking either. Their offense is anemic compared to the recent past, they don't have a reliable closer and their rotation is not what it is cracked up to be. Oswalt has not been an ace for years as he showed in game four. Halladay is great but Hamels is not nor has ever been a true ace and Lee is an ace at times but at others he is far from it such as in Game 2 of this series at points earlier in the season and in last year's world series. This was never Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz.

apfriz
10-08-2011, 11:17 AM
legal, respectfully, you must not have watched much Phillies or Yankee baseball this year...

Yeah, the Yankees rotation was a bit suspect, but what team in baseball is perfect??? you can find a hole in EVERY team ?!?!?

Phillies loss isnt shocking??? They were up 1-0 in series and had a 4-0 lead with Lee on the mound, they had their heels in the throat of the cards and to the cards credit, they battled back hard...
dont have a reliable closer??? what game are you watching sir??? Madsen is going to be one of the most coveted releivers this off season, if not the most! Did Madsen blow a game that I missed???
Oswalt? No kidding, but let us know when you find a better FOURTH starter in baseball....and Hamels by good man, is GREAT, he would be the
'ace' on 20 teams...never maddux glavine smoltz...well the phillies already
have one championship during this run, and they did it without halladay and lee, guess who they had as their 'ace' ? hamels....
How many World Series did your threesome win....one.....

I guess you were 'pounding the drum' that Cards were going all the way eh? YOU saw this coming .....give me a break, it 100pct is shocking.

Baseball83
10-08-2011, 11:26 AM
As a Phillies fan it was just painful. I agree the offense was anemic. And the Phillies didn't show up for about a week in September. But I think credit should go to the Cardinals who just beat us. They outplayed the Phillies during the series and won. Good luck in the NLCS.

gorilla777
10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
The Yankees rotation sucks and they have several week spots in their batting order so their loss doesn't shock me. If they had won they would have been lucky to get two games off the Rangers. The Phils loss isn't shocking either. Their offense is anemic compared to the recent past, they don't have a reliable closer and their rotation is not what it is cracked up to be. Oswalt has not been an ace for years as he showed in game four. Halladay is great but Hamels is not nor has ever been a true ace and Lee is an ace at times but at others he is far from it such as in Game 2 of this series at points earlier in the season and in last year's world series. This was never Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz.

This is ridiculous, even as it is being stated after the fact, especially regarding the Phils starting pitching.

slab0meat
10-08-2011, 04:41 PM

legal, respectfully, you must not have watched much Phillies or Yankee baseball this year...

Yeah, the Yankees rotation was a bit suspect, but what team in baseball is perfect??? you can find a hole in EVERY team ?!?!?

Phillies loss isnt shocking??? They were up 1-0 in series and had a 4-0 lead with Lee on the mound, they had their heels in the throat of the cards and to the cards credit, they battled back hard...
dont have a reliable closer??? what game are you watching sir??? Madsen is going to be one of the most coveted releivers this off season, if not the most! Did Madsen blow a game that I missed???
Oswalt? No kidding, but let us know when you find a better FOURTH starter in baseball....and Hamels by good man, is GREAT, he would be the
'ace' on 20 teams...never maddux glavine smoltz...well the phillies already
have one championship during this run, and they did it without halladay and lee, guess who they had as their 'ace' ? hamels....
How many World Series did your threesome win....one.....

I guess you were 'pounding the drum' that Cards were going all the way eh? YOU saw this coming .....give me a break, it 100pct is shocking.

This is ridiculous, even as it is being stated after the fact, especially regarding the Phils starting pitching.

Late to the "are you a moron?" party, but pretty much everything you said is inaccurate. Good job.

FastLane80
10-08-2011, 06:13 PM
The term 'Dream Team' is a curse for Philadelphia sports this year.

sox83cubs84
10-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Now it's complete. ESPN's "dream teams" are all out of the running. This is gonna be an enjoyable pair of LCS rounds.

Dave Miedema

frikativ54
10-08-2011, 10:05 PM
Now it's complete. ESPN's "dream teams" are all out of the running. This is gonna be an enjoyable pair of LCS rounds.

Dave Miedema

Haha. I know exactly what you mean.

legaleagle92481
10-09-2011, 01:39 AM
Late to the "are you a moron?" party, but pretty much everything you said is inaccurate. Good job.

Oh really? What was inaccurate? I watched Yankees and Phils games all year. The Phils offense other than Ryan Howard (and he strikes out way too much) and Pence since they got him borders on nonexistant. Raul Ibanez was second on the team in homers (20) and RBIs (under 90) and noone batted over .279 who played a full season with them. In one of the best hitter's parks in baseball that is pathic. The place is a launching pad. The hitters are aging and injury prone and the hot prospects like Domenic Brown are not setting the world on fire. As far as Hamels the guy had an amazing 2008 postseason it does not make him an ace just a guy with great stuff who got hot for a few weeks three years ago. He has gotten Cy Young votes once (he finished sixth), never won over 15 games on the best team in the NL for the last several years, and before this year never had an era below three. He also has struck out two hundred batters only once and never finished in the top five in a triple crown stat category. Quality all star pitcher yes, ace no way. Lets be real other than Roy and Verlander there really are no aces in baseball. Guys like Kershaw and Weaver have the potential but they need to do what they did the last two years for at least another year or two before they are "aces." To me an ace is a guy that just dominates for an extended period of time ala Koufax, Gibson, Maddux in his prime, Bo Sox version of Pedro, D Back version of the Big Unit. Guys like Cole, CC Sabathia, Lee and the like are tremendous pitchers but none have truly dominated the league for an extended period of time. Lee especially last year he did not have a great second half when he went to Texas, he was terrible in the World Series and this year he had a rough start to the year and a horrible game in the NLDS. As for Oswalt watch him pitch the guy is not what he was five years ago and is the top fourth starter in baseball but miles from being an ace. In fact Worley was being considered to replace him in the postseason rotation. As for Madson he is not in the league of a Mariano, Brian Wilson or Valerade. In fact two people had to get hurt for him to have the job (Lidge, Contreas). Would you really want him facing Josh Hamilton or Miguel with the World Series on the line?

As for the Yankees the pitching sucks. CC has been a shell of himself since August for some reason, Garcia and Colon are old and inconsistent, Nova is an unproven kid who was in the minors in July and Burnett notwithstanding Game 4 of the ALDS is the most erratic pitcher in baseball. He will give you one great start then folllow it up with four poor ones. The lineup save Granderson, Martin and Cano has serious age, injury and/or underperformance issues ala Arod, Swisher, Tex and Jeter.

So yes, I saw both teams falling short of a title. I felt that the Yankees would be lucky to survive Detriot and if they did the Texas lineup was going to crush them. I thought the Phils were going to have a hard time with the Cards because they were the hot team and their pitching and lineup are well above average. Plus LaRussa has made a career of surprising people. Look at what he did with the 06 team. My honest prediction has been for months that Texas wins it all. They have an amazing lineup, solid though not spectacular starters and a very tough bullpen with a very intelligent manager. Plus they have the experience of coming so close last year.

gingi79
10-09-2011, 11:03 AM
The Eagle lives up to his name! Nice rebuttal counselor. Love the part where you simply stated your case with the facts without addressing the immature name calling.

Guys, come on! Aren't we above calling people "morons" or refuting people by being caustic? LegalEagle's reply is a perfect example of how to detail your opinion with specific reasons rather than disputing things with responses that claim a person's intelligence is less than stellar.

Jeffredsfan
10-09-2011, 11:27 AM
What beats 4 Aces? Apparently some inferior Cards! :p

Go Reds!

slab0meat
10-11-2011, 08:39 AM

1) Yankees rotation sucks - 4th in the AL. Incorrect.

2) Several weak spots in batting order - Yep, down years for several players. What team doesn't?

3) If Yankees won, would be lucky to win two off the Rangers - you have absolutely no idea who would have won what. What was the season series between Texas and New York, by the way?

4) Phils loss isn't shocking, other than to the MLB, Vegas, oddmakers, players, fans, and analysts. Best record, best team ERA, and middle of the road hitting. Not exactly a recipe for a first-round exit.

5) Don't have a reliable closer -- think what you like, they led the NL in least blown saves, while being tied for 4th in saves.

5) Rotation not what it's cracked up to be - Led the league in complete games and shutouts and ERA. What should they have done to fulfill whatever they're cracked up to be?

6) Oswalt is not an ace etc - he's a FOURTH STARTER. Who cares if a t-shirt calls them four aces.. I'd take him as a fourth starter any day of the week.

7) Hamels and Lee comments - pure opinion, though statistics pretty much prove you wrong again.

Is that enough?

legaleagle92481
10-11-2011, 11:23 AM
1) Yankees rotation sucks - 4th in the AL. Incorrect.

2) Several weak spots in batting order - Yep, down years for several players. What team doesn't?

3) If Yankees won, would be lucky to win two off the Rangers - you have absolutely no idea who would have won what. What was the season series between Texas and New York, by the way?

4) Phils loss isn't shocking, other than to the MLB, Vegas, oddmakers, players, fans, and analysts. Best record, best team ERA, and middle of the road hitting. Not exactly a recipe for a first-round exit.

5) Don't have a reliable closer -- think what you like, they led the NL in least blown saves, while being tied for 4th in saves.

5) Rotation not what it's cracked up to be - Led the league in complete games and shutouts and ERA. What should they have done to fulfill whatever they're cracked up to be?

6) Oswalt is not an ace etc - he's a FOURTH STARTER. Who cares if a t-shirt calls them four aces.. I'd take him as a fourth starter any day of the week.

7) Hamels and Lee comments - pure opinion, though statistics pretty much prove you wrong again.

Is that enough?

Lol. I am not going to reargue my points. I will leave it at the oddsmakers, media and fans are often wrong in their predictions. The favorite often loses. The 2010 Pats were a great recent example. 14 wins during the regular season with the league MVP at QB and they lose on their home field in their first playoff game to a team they trounced two months earlier. The 2010-2011 Lakers are another example. Two straight titles favored to face the Heat in the Finals, Kobe vs. Lebron finally. They get knocked out in the second round by a team that is an also ran every year. Who had the Mavs winning the NBA title at the start of the playoffs besides the most die hard Mav fans? The flaws in both the Phils and the Yanks were there and obvious most people just overlooked them until they got knocked out of the playoffs.