PDA

View Full Version : misrepresentation or just trying to be helpful

Dewey2007
10-07-2011, 11:02 PM
As some of you are aware of I help coordinate a sports exhibit with our local museum here in the town I live in. I sometimes write to college's asking for game worn jersey donations of athletes from my hometown. On two occasions this year I received baseball jerseys that were not actually worn by the players I requested. Each jersey was the same number as the player in question but was worn by someone else in a previous year. I found this out by looking through photos of this year and past years. One still had the patch that was worn a couple of years ago so I know it wasn't worn this year.

I appreciate the schools donating something to our exhibit but if you cannot donate something that was worn by the player in question then why donate anything at all. I don't know if this was done blatantly and they thought that I wouldn't know the difference or if this was just an honest oversight in trying to help out our cause. Maybe a little of both? In one case after I contacted them about the jersey not being what it was, they told me that they couldn't give out the guys jersey since he's still a current student athlete. I can buy that but why send me another jersey that wasn't worn by him at all in the first place. In this case I sent it back and thanked them for trying to help us out.

In the most recent case, I am going to do the same thing. They sent me a jersey style that was worn in 2010 and the player from my hometown was only at the school one year (2011) so I know for sure it wasn't his jersey. Not sure if the person who sent it knew this full well before sending it out but I would tend to think that they have some idea. Anyhow, I just wanted to get people's thoughts and if I am being to critical. Also wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar in dealing with colleges and game used gear.

Dewey

jppopma
10-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Hey Dewey,

In the cases of donations, I would accept anything they offer and just be appreciative. If they don't pan out and are not worthy of the display, you are not out any more than if they declined to send anything.

I'm not sure show much they are trying to misrepresent things. More times that not, the teams just don't keep very good records at all. I have purchased jerseys from schools before where the actual year used is 10 years different from the information they provided.

As far as the NCAA regulations, I think that only applies to jerseys with the players names on back.

Don't sweat it and be sure to put these other jerseys to good use as traders for the ones you really need for your display. All the best.

John

Dewey2007
10-07-2011, 11:49 PM
John, thanks for your response and I agree with your thoughts. I just discovered the second jersey wasn't what I thought it was tonight so that inspired this post. I try to represent everything in our exhibit as best as possible so it just bums me out that the jersey aren't what I thought they were. I am appreciative but feel that sending them back is the best thing to do. I don't sell anything that is donated to our exhibit so it's best to just give it back or it will just take up space. These jerseys wouldn't bring much in trade either so no big deal.

I think you are right about NCAA regulations but one of the schools do not use player names on their jerseys and they indicated they still couldn't give away a current players jersey. Probably more to do with not having money to buy new jerseys every year. Funny, one school donated a football jersey of a current player and it came with the players name on the back. I thought maybe it was because it wasn't being sold so they could leave it on or it was just an oversight.

Best,
Dewey

Hey Dewey,

In the cases of donations, I would accept anything they offer and just be appreciative. If they don't pan out and are not worthy of the display, you are not out any more than if they declined to send anything.

I'm not sure show much they are trying to misrepresent things. More times that not, the teams just don't keep very good records at all. I have purchased jerseys from schools before where the actual year used is 10 years different from the information they provided.

As far as the NCAA regulations, I think that only applies to jerseys with the players names on back.

Don't sweat it and be sure to put these other jerseys to good use as traders for the ones you really need for your display. All the best.

John

coxfan
10-08-2011, 07:03 AM
My guess is that they're trying to be helpful, and just don't know what they're doing. My experience with many clerks at team stores and with antique dealers is that they know little about the sports artifacts they have; and I suspect that happens even with people in the athletics departments.

I once taught a series of seminars on supervision, and my main point was that systems involving even a few people tend to have poor communication among compartments of the system. The supervisor should promote more efficient communication across components. But few supervisors grasp this; they like to control info-flow so they're the only ones who know a lot. The effect is that people assigned tasks often don't have, nor are encouiraged to seek, the info they really need.

Shipp_96
10-08-2011, 10:13 AM
On two occasions this year I received baseball jerseys that were not actually worn by the players I requested. Each jersey was the same number as the player in question but was worn by someone else in a previous year.

I appreciate the schools donating something to our exhibit but if you cannot donate something that was worn by the player in question then why donate anything at all. I don't know if this was done blatantly and they thought that I wouldn't know the difference or if this was just an honest oversight in trying to help out our cause. Maybe a little of both?

Dewey

As a Penn State alum and collector, I feel your pain. Nothing is more frustrating than in my case buying something that you think is helping your athletic department, plus enhancing your own private collection only to find out later on it was misrepresented. For common player worn jerseys or helmets, PSU are solid. But anytime you get into Bowl games or specific players it gets VERY sketchy.

I have been sold a jersey that I was later told not only was not worn in the Bowl game, but was not even the players jersey EVER as the locker tag did not match one he ever had issued (this information came from the player himself). Yet I have a COA from the school in an envelope stating otherwise.

My friend and fellow alum, who works closely with our school for fundraising events, says he is angry and embarrassed at what the University pass on to him sometimes as one thing and finds out later on it is something totally different. He was given a jersey for a fundraiser, claimed to be a Rose Bowl worn jersey from a prominent player. He was holding a signing with the since graduated player and thought the auto would only enhance the auction. When he introduces the jersey to the player, he will not it. He says not only was I never issued that locker, but MY Rose Bowl jersey is hanging at home framed on my wall! When my buddy presented this to the athletic department, they simply took it back.

He is not sure if they aren't aware, simply do not care or do not think they are doing anything wrong. But it's scary to buy from the source and still potentially be sold a bill of goods! I have been watching their auctions as of late, and they are MUCH better about saying "this number has been worn by such past players such as etc..." and not committing to any player or year, which is good. I am OK with that.

It's to the point where when I want a specific player I now buy cleats from the players directly via my friend, or sometimes their worn jersey. For others I simply buy their NFL worn gear, which sucks for me because it is not as cool looking in my collection, but at least I know THEY wore it then.

legaleagle92481
10-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I don't think your being too critical they should donate stuff that is genuiune or not donate at all. What good is an exhibit if it is not exhibiting genuine stuff?

trsent
10-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I don't think your being too critical they should donate stuff that is genuiune or not donate at all. What good is an exhibit if it is not exhibiting genuine stuff?

So, they thought they were donating the correct items and they messed up so you should throw it in their faces and be just a poor sport about it?

Good theory.

joelsabi
10-09-2011, 10:37 AM
As some of you are aware of I help coordinate a sports exhibit with our local museum here in the town I live in. I sometimes write to college's asking for game worn jersey donations of athletes from my hometown. On two occasions this year I received baseball jerseys that were not actually worn by the players I requested. Each jersey was the same number as the player in question but was worn by someone else in a previous year. I found this out by looking through photos of this year and past years. One still had the patch that was worn a couple of years ago so I know it wasn't worn this year.

I appreciate the schools donating something to our exhibit but if you cannot donate something that was worn by the player in question then why donate anything at all. I don't know if this was done blatantly and they thought that I wouldn't know the difference or if this was just an honest oversight in trying to help out our cause. Maybe a little of both? In one case after I contacted them about the jersey not being what it was, they told me that they couldn't give out the guys jersey since he's still a current student athlete. I can buy that but why send me another jersey that wasn't worn by him at all in the first place. In this case I sent it back and thanked them for trying to help us out.

In the most recent case, I am going to do the same thing. They sent me a jersey style that was worn in 2010 and the player from my hometown was only at the school one year (2011) so I know for sure it wasn't his jersey. Not sure if the person who sent it knew this full well before sending it out but I would tend to think that they have some idea. Anyhow, I just wanted to get people's thoughts and if I am being to critical. Also wondering if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar in dealing with colleges and game used gear.

Dewey

Hi Dewey,

I am glad you are doing you own due diligence in verifying if the donated article is the real deal.

I would return a wrong item and tell your findings for the item and ask if possible to have a replacement item. Tell the donator that you would appreciate if possible for them to email pictures of an replacement item prior to mailing. Tell them that this will save both of your time for physical inspection and authentication. As an example, mention what has happened in the past and why you had to mail back a donation. I think the example would show that you as a curator for the museum only accept legitimate pieces. Keep the return letter professional and cordial for possible future communication.

Tell them also that you are willing to wait for the players NCAA eligible to expire before procuring the item from them and that you just asking whether any article would be available for that player at that expiration time. Maybe the school sees the urgency of getting an article to you and this will alleviate the time pressure element of getting a donation to you. Maybe there are two people involved in getting you the item at the school and one person is trying to please the other person who is not really familiar with "game used" jerseys.

Donations are tricky I imagine. Give the donator the benefit of the doubt and allow them to possibly send you a replacement item based on your professionalism when returning the item.

You are doing great job. Good luck with your exhibit.

both-teams-played-hard
10-09-2011, 02:24 PM
So, they thought they were donating the correct items and they messed up so you should throw it in their faces and be just a poor sport about it?

Good theory.

Joel,
I think you should re-read the initial post. I think he just wants the items in his exhibit to be properly identified. I think words like, "throw it in their faces" and "poor sport" are harsh.

trsent
10-10-2011, 06:27 AM

Good theory.

Joel,
I think you should re-read the initial post. I think he just wants the items in his exhibit to be properly identified. I think words like, "throw it in their faces" and "poor sport" are harsh.

I was not replying to the initial post - I was replying to the post by Justin.