PDA

View Full Version : yanks go down!

lowell25
10-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Two years in a row a rod strikes out in the division series for the final out.
A rod with a strike out. Sounds great.

yanks12025
10-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Nothing we could do. Put up a fight but the Yankees beat themselves, not the Tigers. I think mlb really needs to look into these umps. Strike zones were horrible and different for each team.

yankees506
10-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Correction, last year arod struck out to end the ALCS! ;)

Congrats to the tigers, glad we had a shot, many teams did not (cough, sox)

Also agree about the strike zones, saw way too many balls in the other batters box called strikes. why do i feel like a cubs fan.....maybe next year! :D

cliffjmp33
10-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Happy for the Detroit fans, even though grew up rooting for the Yankees.

At least one thing I can look forward to sooner now is seeing what items Steiner may get from the Yankees (hint hint to a certain rep I have inquired about specific items ;)...just kidding)

JCC1968
10-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Let's face it

The Yanks have gotten old and need to rebuild, good luck to who tells Posada, Jeter, and A-Rod that their time has come???

Jason

godwulf
10-07-2011, 08:52 AM
As much as I always enjoy watching the Yankees get eliminated during the playoffs, I was actually kind of hoping they would hang on for awhile this year, seeing as the Diamondbacks are still in it - keep the chances for a 10-year World Series reunion between the two teams alive. That would have been awesome, to say the least.

When I'm sitting up in the third deck, and I can see that a ball is a good six to eight inches off the plate, and Joe West, four feet away from the action, can't - something is very wrong. Some kind of serious QA program needs to be put into effect by the Commissioner. I don't care if you've been an MLB umpire for thirty years, I don't care if your daddy and granddaddy were umpires, I don't really give a shit if you play golf with Senators and rock stars - if you can't (or won't) do the job, you're gone.

sox83cubs84
10-07-2011, 02:17 PM
That gagging sound you hear is coming from the Mothership's executive offices in Bristol, CT, as the suits and show hosts at the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network come to grips that they have only one team of chosen favorites left to roll out the hype machine on behalf of in the World Series. Maybe the Cardinals can make it a big ZERO tonight.;)

Dave Miedema

87mac25
10-07-2011, 02:26 PM
That gagging sound you hear is coming from the Mothership's executive offices in Bristol, CT, as the suits and show hosts at the Eastern Seaboard Programming Network come to grips that they have only one team of chosen favorites left to roll out the hype machine on behalf of in the World Series. Maybe the Cardinals can make it a big ZERO tonight.;)

Dave Miedema

Very Well Said Dave!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gingi79
10-07-2011, 02:51 PM
I think mlb really needs to look into these umps. Strike zones were horrible and different for each team.

I lost all faith in Umpires the first time I watched a game online at mlb.com, espn.com or braves.com. Watch Pitchtrax on Gamecast on any of these sites and you will see PROOF that strikezones are 100% subjective, wrong 40 times out of 100 and biased towards certain teams. Frankly, when I saw documented proof that the game's outcome is controlled by anything other than the players EVERY GAME, I lost interest in the sport.

I used to laugh at myself, imagining I was like every other fan who thought the refs were biased against my team. It was all part of being a loyal fan and all in jest until I realized....it's true.

jbsportstuff
10-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I enjoyed the Yankees losing. It's tough being a mid-market team competing against teams with HUGE payrolls. I didn't see any issue at all with the strike zone last night.

camarokids
10-07-2011, 03:50 PM
I am always happy to see the Yankees lose!

However, as posted earlier, the Yankees did beat themselves.
Twice Aroid struck out with the bases loaded. Just one or two clutch hits and the Yankees would be in the ALCS. Jeter almost won the game in the eighth with a two run homer.

camarokids
10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I enjoyed the Yankees losing. It's tough being a mid-market team competing against teams with HUGE payrolls. I didn't see any issue at all with the strike zone last night.

Agreed. From what I saw, I only watched half the game, the ump was right on.

xpress34
10-07-2011, 08:51 PM
You know if the Yankees had won and anyone came out saying the strike zone was different for the two teams, etc, the Yankees fans would have been saying it was just 'sour grapes' that the 'better team won' and all that crap.

Strikes Zones are all over in every game I have ever watched and to not even give Detroit credit (i.e. ...the Yankees beat themselves, not the Tigers...) - I'm sorry, but that's just being a sore loser. I guess it's true that Yankees EXPECT that they should win and that other teams are beneath them.

Congrats Detroit! Looking forward to seeing the Tigers against my Rangers!!!

yanks12025
10-07-2011, 09:17 PM
How did the Yankees not beat themselves. We had the bases loaded twice with one out and only scored 1 run.

jppopma
10-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I didn't notice any wide difference in the strike zone between the teams. Just because an umpires strike zone doesn't match up with the pitchtrax or whatever little box TBS puts up, does not mean that he is wrong. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to agree with the calls the umps were making more than where the display box showed the strike zone to be.

gingi79
10-08-2011, 12:10 AM
I didn't notice any wide difference in the strike zone between the teams. Just because an umpires strike zone doesn't match up with the pitchtrax or whatever little box TBS puts up, does not mean that he is wrong. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to agree with the calls the umps were making more than where the display box showed the strike zone to be.

I didn't watch on tv, but the online ones are based on a computer generated dynamic specific box for the player based on the plate and his shoulders and knees. When a ball lands literally inches off of square center and it's green (meaning a ball) it's offensive to see.

The Phillies deserved to lose, the Cards got fleeced on more than a couple of calls. Ditto the Brewers who should have won in regular innings. Some people will say it all worked out in the end. Good for them, a rare evening out when the right teams won. That doesn't mean Umpires, the most readily proven flawed and corrupt negative influence in sports shouldn't be replaced by computers

xpress34
10-08-2011, 07:46 AM
How did the Yankees not beat themselves. We had the bases loaded twice with one out and only scored 1 run.

So the Tigers didn't throw the right pitch or tighten up their defense? I'm not saying the Yanks shouldn't have been able to produce, but you're also not giving the Tigers any credit for stepping up when they needed to either.

xpress34
10-08-2011, 07:55 AM
I didn't watch on tv, but the online ones are based on a computer generated dynamic specific box for the player based on the plate and his shoulders and knees. When a ball lands literally inches off of square center and it's green (meaning a ball) it's offensive to see.

The Phillies deserved to lose, the Cards got fleeced on more than a couple of calls. Ditto the Brewers who should have won in regular innings. Some people will say it all worked out in the end. Good for them, a rare evening out when the right teams won. That doesn't mean Umpires, the most readily proven flawed and corrupt negative influence in sports shouldn't be replaced by computers

Gingi -

I have to respectfully disagree - or hope you are joking. Yes, their are human flaws in the game and I can't count on both hands how many calls I've replayed on my DVR to see 1st base Umps ringing up a runner whose foot is on the bag while the ball is still a foot from the 1st baseman's glove. But, that is also part of the history and beauty of the game. The Ump is usually listening for the POP of the ball in the mitt, but sometimes the players foot hitting the bag makes the same or similar sound and a human error occurs.

At home, it has always been widely accepted that if a pitcher can repeatedly 'paint' the same spot and it's borderline near the plate, the ump is going to start giving the pitcher the nod on that pitch.

I have watched many guys hit a spot and it's called a ball - the 1st few times in that spot. But as the game goes on and the pitcher keeps hitting that same spot, the ump starts giving the pitcher the benefit of the doubt.

It is also true that bigger name pitchers, veterans, etc usually have an unfair advantage over a rookie and such before the 1st pitch is even thrown.

All that said, there is an old sports adage that rings true with ANY sport when it comes to wins - "If I was lucky and won vs good and lost, I'd rather be lucky than good."

All the best -

Smitty

godwulf
10-08-2011, 09:47 AM
With instant replay now assisting the umpires with "boundary calls", it's only a matter of time before a greater reliance on video and computer is instituted on a wider basis. I'm all for tradition in most things, when it comes to Baseball, but MLB has brought it on themselves, by permitting a lot of lazy, opinionated, half-blind old incompetents to officiate in these games, while making little or no effort to rein them in or correct their deficiencies.

Personally, one of the practices that I find most offensive in the entire sport is that of an umpire calling his strike zone, rather than the one described in the rule book. Giving a "veteran" pitcher a bigger strike zone than a relative rookie comes a close second. So-called "high strikes" are still strikes - so why do they get called balls nearly every time? How many Major League hitters have knees that are six inches off the ground? Quite a few, judging by some umpires' strike calls.

xpress34
10-08-2011, 10:40 AM
GW -

I thought that's what the 'Qwest Tech' (or whatever it's called) system was for that they installed a few years back in about half the MLB stadiums.

It's a camera set up run by MLB that records every pitch and the call made by the umpire and they are scored on their accuracy.

The last I read about it, If an umpire had a game with less than 85% accuracy (as scored by the system vs his calls) he would be written up and possibly fined. If it happened multiple times the umpire could be reprimanded and - like a player - sent down to hone his skills.

Not sure if MLB is still using that system or not - I know the Umpires and their Union didn't like the whole system, so they may have gotten it removed in their CBA.

- Smitty

legaleagle92481
10-09-2011, 02:02 AM
Only six more years of Arod, get excited Yankee fans!

NEFAN
10-09-2011, 07:06 PM
I lost all faith in Umpires the first time I watched a game online at mlb.com, espn.com or braves.com. Watch Pitchtrax on Gamecast on any of these sites and you will see PROOF that strikezones are 100% subjective, wrong 40 times out of 100 and biased towards certain teams. Frankly, when I saw documented proof that the game's outcome is controlled by anything other than the players EVERY GAME, I lost interest in the sport.

I used to laugh at myself, imagining I was like every other fan who thought the refs were biased against my team. It was all part of being a loyal fan and all in jest until I realized....it's true.

I am not sure that pitch tracker is 100% accurate either. Did love seeing the Yankees lose though.

coxfan
10-10-2011, 06:59 AM
I strongly recommend the book "As They See Em" by Bruce Weber. ( Scribner, a division of Simon and Schuster, 2009). It's the best study of umpiring I've ever read. The author is a writer for the New York Times, but he went through umpiring school to prepare for this book. He aso interviewed umpires and MLB players.

Weber discusses the strike zone at much length, including how accurate- or misleading-technical aids may be to viewers. Personally, I think the video strike zones shown to fans do an imperfect job of showing the "depth" dimension of the zone ( whether a breaking pitch falls in.)

While I'm at it, I not infrequently disagree with commentators' view of safe-out calls, when I see the same replay, no matter how emphatic those commentators may be.