PDA

View Full Version : Huge Question on a pair of Votto Fielding Gloves from 2006

rchimes13@yahoo.com
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I have been searching for a game used Joey Votto glove for a little over a year. In the last month or so I have come across 5 different gloves. One way over priced, 2 that look to be back-up gloves that are signed "game used" , and two from 2006. Here's my concern...both the 2006 gloves come signed and inscribed (COA via Lockeroom Memorabilia) "Game Used 2006 Futures Game"and both gloves are hammered with use...I find it really hard to believe he switched gloves during the game (only played 4 innings in field) and only pics I can find look like he's wearing same glove. I've attached a pic of each glove...would love to hear what you guys think. I would hate to drop big $ on a glove that has ?'s concerning when it was used and why an inscription was duplicated.

kylehess10
10-04-2011, 10:04 PM
I may be wrong with this, but the first glove may be the one from the Futures Game and the second one is maybe just inscribed "Futures" to indicate he was on the team.

Cubsfan4life
10-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Ya I agree. I think the top one is the one from the game. This is a picture from the game. The bottom glove doesn't have all black lacing, and it appears the one from the game does.

rchimes13@yahoo.com
10-05-2011, 01:20 AM
Should have mentioned this before, but the bottom glove's COA actually states "game used during 2006 season including the Futures Game"

Cubsfan4life
10-05-2011, 02:25 AM
Another possibility is that one was used in BP and one was used in the game.

dplettn
10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Each of us as a collector has different standards for items (where we do/don’t have faith in an items provenance), much as we each have our own standards for personal behavior (whether to be communal or competitive with other collectors). Whoever ultimately owns these items for the long term, we can all hope they get enjoyment whatever is their own judgment on the item they own.

Personally, I think the most apparent takeaway here is for the companies which compose LOAs and put their own name or brand alongside that of the athlete:

Have tremendously high standards because your name associated with an LOA can only be as relevant as your standards are impeccable. If you buy something from an athlete, put some due diligence into checking what they have told you! Ask them what they know (an item was used in a certain year, game, or from a certain era) and differentiate such on the LOA from what may be believed. Make no assumptions and don’t be lazy because your name is your brand. And never write LOAs in such a manner that could mislead the marketplace. Regardless whether such was (or wasn't) done here, collectors are worldly enough to know that the athlete isn’t the one who composed the LOA. An athlete’s competency is their skill in sport, not the nuances of verbiage in an LOA they signed for comparatively insignificant money.

CampWest
10-06-2011, 12:41 PM
The Upper Deck card shows a long lace hanging from the pinky... I don't see that on either glove.

:confused: :confused: :confused: