PDA

View Full Version : How many Minor League jersey's are issued?

Klattsy
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if it varies from team to team of if there is a general rule on how many of each jersey a player receives in the minors per year.

I had always thought that they would get one of each jersey (i.e. home, away, alternate ect) but recently I contacted a AAA team about one player and the response was that they can "take one out of circulation" to sell to me.

Would this just be a AAA level thing where players might have multiple sets (because the teams have more money to buy jerseys) or have people seen it happen at lower levels.

I always liked my MiLB jersey's thinking that they where the ONLY jersey the player wore all year...now i'm not so sure???

Mark.

AstrosGU
10-04-2011, 10:10 PM
Hi All,

I was wondering if it varies from team to team of if there is a general rule on how many of each jersey a player receives in the minors per year.

I had always thought that they would get one of each jersey (i.e. home, away, alternate ect) but recently I contacted a AAA team about one player and the response was that they can "take one out of circulation" to sell to me.

Would this just be a AAA level thing where players might have multiple sets (because the teams have more money to buy jerseys) or have people seen it happen at lower levels.

I always liked my MiLB jersey's thinking that they where the ONLY jersey the player wore all year...now i'm not so sure???

Mark.

I can not speak for all Minor League teams, but the players on any of the Houston Astros Minor League teams each receive 1 of each style jersey for the season (home, road, alternate, etc.)

joelsabi
10-05-2011, 12:33 AM
usually its one of each style (home, road, alternate, bp) unless something is stolen and they reorder the item.

G1X
10-05-2011, 10:30 AM
My limited observations are similar to the previous two posts.

The local team in my area, the Potomac Nationals (Class A Carolina League), have one set of road, one set of home, one set of red BP tops, and one set of blue BP top. The BP tops are occasionally worn in games, especially if a double-header is involved.

They also do not reorder the home and road shirts every year as they tend to wear them for several seasons. The home jerseys have nameplates, so they remove and replace the plates as needed.

I lived in Birmingham for many years up until 1997, and the local team (Birmingham Barons - Class AA Southern League) was similar to the Potomac Nationals in that they basically had one set of each and would generally wear the uniforms for more than one season. They also wore the BP tops in game action, especially when the weather was extremely hot, as the starting pitcher had the option to decide if the team would wear the more comfortable mesh BP tops. I don't know for sure what they are doing at this point.

Hope this helps!

Mark Hayne
Gridiron Exchange
gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League and Atlanta Falcons uniforms, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used equipment.

dcgreg25
10-05-2011, 10:49 AM
In my experience with jerseys from the Cleveland Indians minor league system (Buffalo Bisons, Columbus Clippers, Akron Aeros, Kinston Indians) they issue one home, road and alternate jersey per player.

The Bisons, for example, used the same jerseys for 2007 and 2008 changing out the nameplates for players and did not sell those jerseys until they changed affiliations to the Mets following the 2008 season. This means the same set of jerseys was used for two years. The team COAs confirm this and several of the jerseys were used by three or four different players during that time.

ahuff
10-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Most of my area Class A teams also issue 1 set to each player. HOWEVER...if it is a superstar player, beware as I've found out up to 10 sets were issued for at least one player in my league. I know that teams have ordered an additional jersey for some of the higher caliber players to sell to the card companies that cut them up. I own one home jersey that was the regular jersey; however, this player wore one other home jersey that was special ordered specifically by the club for him to wear for one game and then was sent to the card company right after the game.

jppopma
10-07-2011, 10:45 PM
Most minor league teams will issue one of each for the season. I have seen teams that will use them for multiple seasons (sometimes up to 5 years based on tags).

There are also some minor league teams that will gladly sell a gamer right from the players locker. The premise of this, is that they will sell the used jersey and just make up a new jersey for the player. The downside of this is that they don't track how often they do this (if they had enough request, they'd change them out after each game), but on the upside there are good deals to be had from these teams. Some are looking to cash in and others that do not normally sell gamers will offer the jersey up for the price of the new jersey + customizing.

harleighb
10-08-2011, 01:31 AM
I echo ahuff's comments regarding additional jerseys being prepared for top prospects. The Beloit Snappers usually issue one home, road and BP/alternate jersey for each player each year (plus all of the one-off special event jerseys). That being said, I've seen 2-3 Aaron Hicks home jerseys from 2010. At least one of the home jerseys came with a Team LOA with the typical Snappers language regarding being game worn but others I've seen state the specific date the jersey was worn (i.e. the jersey was only worn on that date).

Klattsy
10-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Hmmmm. Well that muddies the water a bit. Especially if low level teams are making a couple of jersey's for one player.

Nothing is cut and dry in this hobby i'm finding out. To many "however's" and "that being said's" for my liking ;)

Thanks to all the responses.