PDA

View Full Version : ? about mlb authenticaion

ncbadges
10-03-2011, 09:23 PM
Is there a way to have a game used item MLB Authenticated after the game is over? For example, if you had an item that was game used last month (or whenever) can you have it authenticated using photomatches, player testimony, ect? Just curious as I have seen an item for sale that was NOT authenticated and then seen it a few weeks later and it WAS authenticated.

I guess my question isn't CAN you have it done, but HOW do you have it done?

Thanks
ncb

WadeInBmore
10-03-2011, 10:18 PM
You can't (to my knowledge). Sorry :(. MLB won't authenticate any item unless they personally see it used/worn. Period.

Wade

yankees506
10-03-2011, 10:24 PM
arod bat authenticated after the fact bb 024115

lakeerie92
10-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I talked to an authenticator a few times this year and several different ones repeated the same thing that items can't be authenticated outside of the locker room or field of play (game used items).

I gave the hypothetical situation that I received a 3rd out toss up from a player if he would authenticate it for me since I was sitting right behind him. The new rules this year prevent them from authenticating anything that has entered the stands.(He said he could make an exception if he saw the ball tossed to me. He said they also make some exceptions for players milestone baseballs). He ended up deciding not to authenticate my ball and gave me one he had instead.

frikativ54
10-04-2011, 01:02 AM
The new rules this year prevent them from authenticating anything that has entered the stands.(He said he could make an exception if he saw the ball tossed to me. He said they also make some exceptions for players milestone baseballs). He ended up deciding not to authenticate my ball and gave me one he had instead.

What were the old rules?

dplettn
10-04-2011, 03:13 PM
arod bat authenticated after the fact bb 024115

If you look carefully, you'll notice that this item is in the database under "PLAYER COLLECTED BAT".

This is a different entry, and I have at times seen other entries that were held before authentication under such Player Collected sections as opposed to Game Used Entries.

The strict parameters for MLB authentications covering game used are frustrating at times, but such parameters are what really provides for 100% certainty.

If a ball goes into the stands and gets thrown back, perhaps the authenticator could in theory compare what he sees to a game used ball as opposed to a BP ball, but such a subjective assessment could never truly be 100% certain. So, the strict parameters protect the integrity of game used authentication.

dplettn
10-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Is there a way to have a game used item MLB Authenticated after the game is over? For example, if you had an item that was game used last month (or whenever) can you have it authenticated using photomatches, player testimony, ect? Just curious as I have seen an item for sale that was NOT authenticated and then seen it a few weeks later and it WAS authenticated.

I guess my question isn't CAN you have it done, but HOW do you have it done?

Thanks
ncb

In instances where an item's significance might justify the resources and planning (ie: a home run record, etc) an item can be covertly marked and authenticated in alternate process than is typical. So then, if the ball flies into the stands, it can still be identified through a covert marking. Such is not scalable for typical authentication though.

When you see an item that was authenticated outside of normal processes (authenticator watches the ball stay in grounds, bat break, or jersey come off player's back) it will be in "Player Collected" section of database. I once noticed an entry where an item that was significant to a player was kept by some other person until later being authenticated with such detail right in the entry. That was in the "Player Collected" section of the database.

For normal folks, the appropriate question is still "Can?", and the answer is "No." I have the ball that was Joey Votto's 600th career hit. But the authenticator's notes didn't reflect the hit, rather the (next) pitch which took the ball out of play. Regardless of evidence on the ball, the authentication will never reflect the ball's true relevance because the authenticator didn't take notes while the ball was in play. Frustrating? Sure! But at the same time, I understand such parameters protect the integrity of MLB authentication.

Hope this helps.

coxfan
10-04-2011, 04:05 PM
In the October pickups thread, p. 2, is a HR ball fj 741465 ( I think I recall the number correctly). The hologram states the authenticator trusted security, who brought him the ball from the bullpen. Plus, last year when the Rangers won their first-ever home postseason game, the authenticator expressly stated it was given to him by Nolan Ryan.

The only lesson from this is that if you get a security person who saw you catch the ball, he/she might vouch for you with the authenticator. In general, I'm glad they're being much stricter.

coxfan
10-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Never mind. I just noticed that the HR ball brought by security was under "Player-collected". That's a new concept; thanks for pointing it out.

lakeerie92
10-04-2011, 05:41 PM
What were the old rules?

He told me before if they witnessed the ball they could authenticate it, but now they are not supposed to.

Zack Hample caught the last Mets HR at Shea Stadium and an authenticator met him and put a hologram on the ball. Last I checked it wasn't entered in the system, but apparently now they won't even do that even if they have no intentions of recording it.

By the way, my ultimate goal in the whole conversation with the authenticator was to get him to authenticate a ball and somehow include my name in the info. He said he absolutely could and then when he gave me a ball said he couldn't.