PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Game/No-Hitter Items

yanks12025
10-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Does anyone know what happens to the bats used by the players who make the final out. Do they keep using them, keep them or what. has someone ever come across one, and do they hold more value?

kylehess10
10-01-2011, 11:52 AM
There was once a Gabe Kapler pink bat on MLB Auctions used when he made the final out for Dallas Braden's perfect game. I can't remember the exact price, but it sold somewhere around $500-$600.

gnishiyama
10-02-2011, 11:47 AM
How much of a premium does a no-hitter add to a:

1. Nolan Ryan jersey used for a no-hitter
2. Dwight Gooden jersey used for a no-hitter
3. Edwin Jackson jersey used for a no-hitter

I used these examples because they obviously have varied levels
of popularity and success.

I have a jersey of a mid-level, yet popular player/big-market team in Japan
worn throwing a no-hitter. It would be a $1000 jersey for a regular
jersey so wondering how much of a premium a no-hitter adds.

Any input would be appreciated.

legaleagle92481
10-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know what happens to the bats used by the players who make the final out. Do they keep using them, keep them or what. has someone ever come across one, and do they hold more value?

It depends on the player. Some I assume reuse them, others for superstitious reasons probaly never use the stuff they wore/used in a game their team was no hit again. They would hold unique collectible value in my opinion because other than baseballs used in the game you are unlikely to see stuff so directly connected to the no hitter. The pitcher's stuff I would assume would not hit the market and a final out bat is the next best thing.

gnishiyama
10-02-2011, 12:23 PM
They would hold unique collectible value in my opinion because other than baseballs used in the game you are unlikely to see stuff so directly connected to the no hitter.

Do you think the no-hitter adds exponential value to a jersey?
i.e. $500 >> $5000?

ironmanfan
10-02-2011, 01:18 PM
I realize that this isn't game used, but I just thought I'd share this complete, autographed no-hitter ticket from 1991, where four Orioles pitchers (including the recently deceased Mike Flanagan) contributed to no-hit the A's:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k172/whhp72/Misc%20Orioles/1oak.jpg

gnishiyama
10-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Do you think the no-hitter adds exponential value to a jersey?
i.e. $500 >> $5000?

Just bumping once hoping someone can give me his thoughts.
Really curious to hear.
Thanks

joelsabi
10-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Just bumping once hoping someone can give me his thoughts.
Really curious to hear.
Thanks

you made me curious too.

im going by the quick calculation based on information on sale of two 1991 nolan ryan jerseys.

one was his 7th no hitter and sold for $44,812 in 2011.
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7032&lotNo=80974

a non no hittter jersey of ryan sold for $4056 in 2007 factoring inflation bumps it up to $4,432.09. if we allocate the jersey alone at $3000 of the winning bid of $3394 then the jersey with inflation accounted for would be $3,933.41.
http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/37969/April-2007-Catalog/Sports/Baseball-Equipment/Lot437~1991-Nolan-Ryan-Texas-Rangers-Game-Used-Complete-Uniform-with-Hat

So it seems that the no hitter jersey went for 10-11 times the price of a non no hit jersey for the same year. We can allocated more of the price to the pants/hat and the factor could go up to 12.

So your assessment that the price going up 10 times seems accurate for this example. Wish there were more no hit jerseys up for sale for more raw data.

godwulf
10-06-2011, 09:01 AM
I have a jersey of a mid-level, yet popular player/big-market team in Japan worn throwing a no-hitter. It would be a $1000 jersey for a regular jersey so wondering how much of a premium a no-hitter adds.

This confirms something that I've suspected for some time - that the price of game-used items in Japan, even of a mid-level player, are much, much higher than a comparable item in the U.S. There have been some American-born players who've played in Japan, and whose jerseys I'd love to own, but I suspect that they'd be out of my budgetary range, even if I were somehow able to find them.

Gnishiyama, when (and if) you see the Japanese League jerseys of the American players for sale, how do their market prices compare with those of the popular native Japanese players? Do they tend to be more sought after, or less?

So your assessment that the price going up 10 times seems accurate for this example. Wish there were more no hit jerseys up for sale for more raw data.

I'm not sure Ryan would be the best example to try to base a theory on, as the man is something of an icon, to say the least. The ten or eleven-fold increase in market price certainly applies to him (and no doubt Randy Johnson), but I'm less certain that the same would apply to the no-hitter or perfect game jerseys of lesser mortals.

joelsabi
10-06-2011, 09:16 AM
I'm not sure Ryan would be the best example to try to base a theory on, as the man is something of an icon, to say the least. The ten or eleven-fold increase in market price certainly applies to him (and no doubt Randy Johnson), but I'm less certain that the same would apply to the no-hitter or perfect game jerseys of lesser mortals.

sure. at the super high end it may be accurate. just never seen a no hit jersey available for a pitcher of the caliber of Kevin Millwood or Bud Smith to make a good comparison. but maybe there are some collectors who would pay dearly to have a no hit jersey in there collection but never seen them come up for sale. so for a bud smith 2001 non no hit jersey that cost $200-400 how much would a person pay for a 2001 bud smith no hitter jersey?

joelsabi
10-06-2011, 09:28 AM
here are 2 scott erickson 1994 jerseys
no hitter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-Erickson-1994-Game-Used-NO-HITTER-Jersey-Minnesota-Twins-MLB-HOF-/220851805211
asking $12,295

non no hitter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Scott-Erickson-Dbl-Signed-Game-Used-Twins-Jersey-/300563585799
asking $560

wish there had been some actual transaction numbers for this example.

gnishiyama
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys for your input:

going by the quick calculation based on information on sale of two 1991 nolan ryan jerseys.

one was his 7th no hitter and sold for $44,812 in 2011.
http://sports.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7032&lotNo=80974

a non no hittter jersey of ryan sold for $4056 in 2007 factoring inflation bumps it up to $4,432.09. if we allocate the jersey alone at $3000 of the winning bid of $3394 then the jersey with inflation accounted for would be $3,933.41.
http://www.lelands.com/Auction/Aucti...iform-with-Hat (http://www.lelands.com/Auction/AuctionDetail/37969/April-2007-Catalog/Sports/Baseball-Equipment/Lot437%7E1991-Nolan-Ryan-Texas-Rangers-Game-Used-Complete-Uniform-with-Hat)

So it seems that the no hitter jersey went for 10-11 times the price of a non no hit jersey for the same year. We can allocated more of the price to the pants/hat and the factor could go up to 12.

So your assessment that the price going up 10 times seems accurate for this example. Wish there were more no hit jerseys up for sale for more raw data.I think thats a very low price for a full Nolan Ryan uniform set on Lelands
but like everyone else said I guess there's no standard "markup" since there
is too small of a sample. It really boils down to how much someone wants it
but I don't see a collector paying $12K for a Scott Erickson jersey unless
he is an advanced collector of historic MLB items. Even still I would
think an advanced collector would still wait for a bigger name and pay more.
Scott Erickson, Twins...hmmm. However if supply and demand dictated
the price, IMO $12K can be considered on the low end.

This confirms something that I've suspected for some time - that the price of game-used items in Japan, even of a mid-level player, are much, much higher than a comparable item in the U.S. There have been some American-born players who've played in Japan, and whose jerseys I'd love to own, but I suspect that they'd be out of my budgetary range, even if I were somehow able to find them.

Gnishiyama, when (and if) you see the Japanese League jerseys of the American players for sale, how do their market prices compare with those of the popular native Japanese players? Do they tend to be more sought after, or less? It depends but it is still EXTREMELY difficult to get Japanese game used
jerseys. The higher price is because of supply and demand.
There are much less teams in Japan and obviously less players
to root for and collect. GU items just don't reach the market like they do
here. More recently All-Star and one game special event jerseys (think
Jackie Robinson Day) have been auctioned off for charity and they go for
tons because usually the auctions are accompanied with picture of the
player signing and holding up the jersey. Aside from solid provenance
Japanese people are suckers for charities. (Fake charities selling
memorabilia is as prevalent of a problem as fake items in itself in Japan)

To answer your question about Japanese native vs US-born Japan players
it's not even close. Japanese people still very much support "their own".
Shigeo Nagashima, and not Sadaharu Oh, is the most popular Japanese
player because Oh is half Chinese even though Oh has superior career
stats. Stats alone do not dictate the market price of a game-used items in
Japan. It's more about popularity and marketability.

Also it should be noted that for MLB Japanese items, people only pay
premiums on players who were born and began their careers in Japan
where they gathered a following. Kurt Suzuki of the A's, although he
has Japanese roots, is born and raised in Hawaii therefore he is
considered an American player despite his appearance. Junichi Tazawa
of the Red Sox, publicly asked Japanese clubs not to draft him
since he wanted to play here so his items will never command a premium
in Japan even if he becomes successful.

Back in the day, only the best of the best Japanese players like
Nomo, Ichiro, Hideki and Kaz Matsui..yes Kaz, Dice-K came here and people
were excited to see how they would fare against the best so
that is why their stuff went for a premium. However now with the influx
of fringe players coming here to "fulfill their dream of playing MLB" or
chasing that free agent money, the Japanese MLB market has become
extremely watered down. Those guys do not command much, if any,
premium. I get offers all the time from guys who pick up an item
just because its from a Japanese player and expect me to pay tons.

godwulf
10-06-2011, 07:02 PM
It depends but it is still EXTREMELY difficult to get Japanese game used jerseys. The higher price is because of supply and demand. There are much less teams in Japan and obviously less players to root for and collect. GU items just don't reach the market like they do here. More recently All-Star and one game special event jerseys (think Jackie Robinson Day) have been auctioned off for charity and they go for tons because usually the auctions are accompanied with picture of the player signing and holding up the jersey. Aside from solid provenance
Japanese people are suckers for charities. (Fake charities selling
memorabilia is as prevalent of a problem as fake items in itself in Japan)

To answer your question about Japanese native vs US-born Japan players
it's not even close. Japanese people still very much support "their own".
Shigeo Nagashima, and not Sadaharu Oh, is the most popular Japanese
player because Oh is half Chinese even though Oh has superior career
stats. Stats alone do not dictate the market price of a game-used items in Japan. It's more about popularity and marketability.

Thank you very much for all the helpful info. As I say, there are a few players - Josh Whitesell (who, last I heard, was still playing there), Alan Zinter, Andy Green and Scott Service - whose Japanese League jerseys I'd love to collect, but not if I have to sell my house to finance the purchases. :rolleyes:

What is the market for game-used bats like, over there? Similar to that for jerseys?

joelsabi
10-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys for your input:

I think thats a very low price for a full Nolan Ryan uniform set on Lelands
but like everyone else said I guess there's no standard "markup" since there
is too small of a sample. It really boils down to how much someone wants it
but I don't see a collector paying $12K for a Scott Erickson jersey unless
he is an advanced collector of historic MLB items. Even still I would
think an advanced collector would still wait for a bigger name and pay more.
Scott Erickson, Twins...hmmm. However if supply and demand dictated
the price, IMO $12K can be considered on the low end.

Goh,

I gave it a shot since you posted the question.

Did anyone notice when this Erickson jersey was originally sold on eBay? Evidently Erickson himself tried selling his own jersey back in May. Not familiar with the Onion. Must be a good markup by the current owner if the story is true.

From The Onion
MINNEAPOLIS—Hoping to make a little extra money, former Minnesota Twins pitcher Scott Erickson placed his 1994 no-hitter against the Milwaukee Brewers up for sale on eBay Sunday. "It's 17 years old, but I guarantee this game is still 100% hitless," read the listing, which after four days online has received one bid of $4.75. "You get all five strikeouts, four walks, even the six runs my teammates put up in support. Trust me, this is truly a fine game to own." Erickson has set the no-hitter’s Buy It Now price at $2,500.

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/scott_erickson_attempts_to_sell_1994_no_hitter_on_ ebay/4749687

frikativ54
10-06-2011, 11:56 PM
Goh,

Did anyone notice when this Erickson jersey was originally sold on eBay? Evidently Erickson himself tried selling his own jersey back in May. Not familiar with the Onion. Must be a good markup by the current owner if the story is true.

From The Onion
MINNEAPOLIS—Hoping to make a little extra money, former Minnesota Twins pitcher Scott Erickson placed his 1994 no-hitter against the Milwaukee Brewers up for sale on eBay Sunday. "It's 17 years old, but I guarantee this game is still 100% hitless," read the listing, which after four days online has received one bid of $4.75. "You get all five strikeouts, four walks, even the six runs my teammates put up in support. Trust me, this is truly a fine game to own." Erickson has set the no-hitter’s Buy It Now price at $2,500.

http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/scott_erickson_attempts_to_sell_1994_no_hitter_on_ ebay/4749687

The Onion is satire. Don't believe a word they write. :p

joelsabi
10-07-2011, 09:36 AM
It depends on the player. Some I assume reuse them, others for superstitious reasons probaly never use the stuff they wore/used in a game their team was no hit again. They would hold unique collectible value in my opinion because other than baseballs used in the game you are unlikely to see stuff so directly connected to the no hitter. The pitcher's stuff I would assume would not hit the market and a final out bat is the next best thing.

how about the jersey of the person calling the pitches.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2011/06/yogi_berras_jersey_from_perfec.html

gnishiyama
10-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Goh,

Did anyone notice when this Erickson jersey was originally sold on eBay? Evidently Erickson himself tried selling his own jersey back in May. Not familiar with the Onion. Must be a good markup by the current owner if the story is true. I definitely appreciate your input and thoughts. As someone else mentioned
the Onion is a satirical website for entertainment.

Thank you very much for all the helpful info. As I say, there are a few players - Josh Whitesell (who, last I heard, was still playing there), Alan Zinter, Andy Green and Scott Service - whose Japanese League jerseys I'd love to collect, but not if I have to sell my house to finance the purchases. :rolleyes:

What is the market for game-used bats like, over there? Similar to that for jerseys?It won't be much for those guys if it ever hits the market. I would say
around $200-$300 tops, that's if they ever reach the market. I am
not exactly sure what they do with player's jerseys after the season
but I do know some teams do recycle jerseys into the minors.

As for bats, they are far less expensive over there. I don't know
why there is a difference but while an Ichiro MLB gamer may go for
$5K+ over there, an Ichiro gamer from his Japan days goes for
less than half that. I don't know why.
Most Japanese superstar's bats rarely clear the $1K mark over there
unless as I mentioned earlier, its a charity item.
Japanese fans have acknowledged the fact that MLB baseball is
superior and most want to see how their favorite stars will fare on
the highest level. The irony is that some of those same fans are
complaining that everyone is bolting for MLB.

Anyway we got OT, so back to the PG and NH discussion.