PDA

View Full Version : 50$ to first person who can come up PHOTO of Tony Dungy wearing a #21 49ers gamer!!!!

solarlottry
09-30-2011, 10:48 AM
I recently picked up a game used #21 49ers gamer with Tony Dungy's nameplate. In 1979 he played one season for the 49ers after playing 2 seasons with the Steelers. He wore # 21 with the Steelers but eventually wore #27 with the 49ers.

It was thought that he would be resigned by the 49ers in 1980 or 1981 but they stuck with Dwight Hicks and via the 1981 draft (possibly the greatest defensive draft class for a single team ever) brought in Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Williamson. Thus the birth of "Dwight Hicks and his Hot Licks"!

This home red 49ers gamer was probably worn in 1978 by WR Larry Jones and then recycled for use in 1979. Dungy may have worn it in preseason or training camp but eventually switched to #27. There is indication of a nameplate change and the shirt shows reasonable game use for a WR and/or DB. There is a repair UNDER the nameplate which suggests Dungy could have worn the shirt in camp and was going to wear it during the season (thus his nameplate was added) but decided to change to #27 instead. No one wore #21 until 1981 when Eric Wright was drafted.

I have looked thru a # of 49er reference sources and no luck yet. If anyone can come up with an image of Tony Dungy wearing a home #21 jersey the 50$ is theirs!!!!

I can take additional images of the jersey and post them on GUU or email them to anyone who is interested.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 49er gamer! Paying up to a 500$ finders fee for the right gamer!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com

Dewey2007
09-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Paul, try contacting the 49ers media relations person/department. They might be able to dig up a photo or two of Dungy from their archives. I've contacted teams and some are good about sending photos. Not sure if the team would want the $50 if they have a photo but it's worth a try. Good luck!

I recently picked up a game used #21 49ers gamer with Tony Dungy's nameplate. In 1979 he played one season for the 49ers after playing 2 seasons with the Steelers. He wore # 21 with the Steelers but eventually wore #27 with the 49ers.

It was thought that he would be resigned by the 49ers in 1980 or 1981 but they stuck with Dwight Hicks and via the 1981 draft (possibly the greatest defensive draft class for a single team ever) brought in Lott, Eric Wright and Carlton Williamson. Thus the birth of "Dwight Hicks and his Hot Licks"!

This home red 49ers gamer was probably worn in 1978 by WR Larry Jones and then recycled for use in 1979. Dungy may have worn it in preseason or training camp but eventually switched to #27. There is indication of a nameplate change and the shirt shows reasonable game use for a WR and/or DB. There is a repair UNDER the nameplate which suggests Dungy could have worn the shirt in camp and was going to wear it during the season (thus his nameplate was added) but decided to change to #27 instead. No one wore #21 until 1981 when Eric Wright was drafted.

I have looked thru a # of 49er reference sources and no luck yet. If anyone can come up with an image of Tony Dungy wearing a home #21 jersey the 50$ is theirs!!!!

I can take additional images of the jersey and post them on GUU or email them to anyone who is interested.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 49er gamer! Paying up to a 500$ finders fee for the right gamer!

Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com