PDA

View Full Version : What Did Everyone Think of the Movie Moneyball?

trsent
09-28-2011, 02:50 AM
Just saw it last night.

For any baseball fan, this movie is really an interesting story and look into The Major Leagues behind the scenes that many of us will never experience.

A 94% critics rating on Rotten Tomatoes is a fair rating - The movie is great!

coxfan
09-28-2011, 05:38 AM
My wife and I really enjoyed it, and will probably see it again. The baseball detail could only have been put together by a real fan; presumably Brad Pitt himself, since I understand he's the producer as well as star. I was impressed by his skill in acting here. I'm used to the "tough guy" stereotype approach (eg in "Troy"). But in this movie he modifies that to a candid and get-to-the-point, but likable and complex persona.

I was also surprised by the movie's frank depiction of current baseball people by name. Those depictions are not always favorable, and neither are the reviews of the "Moneyball" theory in practice. As a collector, I was noting that all the baseball offices shown had baseballs ( probably g-u) on the shelves.

jake33
09-28-2011, 12:32 PM
I prefer to watch a Rays game to see the real "moneyball", it is cheaper, more accurate and a better storyline.

OaklandAsFan
09-28-2011, 12:33 PM
the shots of Billy's office in the movie were taken at Oakland Coliseum inside an office there so that would explain the baseballs.

As an A's fan I have been anxiously awaiting this movie and I found it to be great. I took my son to the movie and he was only 3-4 months old at the time of the 20 game streak and his eyes lit up when I told him he was at several of those games.

David
09-28-2011, 12:38 PM
I read that Pitt wasn't a fan of the sport in HS, or at least he wasn't good at it.

David
09-28-2011, 12:39 PM
If you you look at the fans, clearly you can like a sport and not be good at it.

lcstate collector
09-28-2011, 12:48 PM
I really liked the movie. The details aren't completely accurate but I would recommend it as a great baseball film.

BULBUS
09-28-2011, 01:06 PM
I would like to see the movie. Also, I read that Brad Pitt does not follow sports. He wasnt sure why he was chosen to do this movie, but hey, it paid some bills...lol

AM
09-28-2011, 04:36 PM
I enjoyed it very much.
I usually don't like flashbacks in films, but they worked pretty well in the movie as it's just as much about Billy Beane as it is about the business of baseball

I would have liked a little more attention to the great pitching staff Oakland had in 2002, as pitching was every much a factor in their success, but all in all, very good with no saccharine-laced romanticism (similar to Sayles' great Eight Men Out)

Doodles
09-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Did the uniforms look authentic? They look good in the trailers I saw.

Anyone remember the movie with DeNiro called "the Fan?" That was the worst baseball movie I ever saw. The uniforms were a complete mess...for example, the pitcher would be in a Rockies home jersey, and the catcher in a road jersey...then outfielders would suddenly be in different jerseys, and SF would be wearing road jerseys in a home game.

trsent
09-28-2011, 09:07 PM
Good article about the history of the movie.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/08/04/oakland-goes-hollywood-with-brad-pitts-moneyball-production/

sox83cubs84
09-29-2011, 05:42 PM
No intention of going to see the movie whatsoever...I have no desire to put my hard-earned money in Brad Pitt's pocket (those who know me well will know why I said that).

Dave Miedema

scootmagroot
09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
I saw it a few weeks ago at and private screening, and thought it was really good. There is a lot of parts in it that a non baseball fan wouldnt understand, but I really liked it. Much better than I expected. And nice little touch that Billy Beane and Eric Chavez both went to my high school, so seeing a young Beane in my high school colors was fun.

Titans74
09-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Even as a huge fan of baseball/sports movies, I have zero interest in ever watching this film.

cjw
09-29-2011, 06:16 PM
No intention of going to see the movie whatsoever...I have no desire to put my hard-earned money in Brad Pitt's pocket (those who know me well will know why I said that).

Dave Miedema

Dave...is it because of his politics or because Jolie was once your gal and he stole her from you ? ;)

both-teams-played-hard
09-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I went last night. I really didn't pay much attention to the movie, because I was too excited about my out-fit. I was sporting an A's authentic replica, complete with pants, stirrups and white cleats. It was a bit nippy, so I threw on my A's Starter. My wife seemed jealous because of all the looks I was getting from the ladies. This one girl's boyfriend asked me what I was drinking or smoking. He was just jealous. He's obviously a hater.
Overall, the movie was awesome with a capitol "A".

d4347
09-29-2011, 07:22 PM
I felt like the movie didn't live up to expectations. Brad Pitt is an outstanding actor and he played the part with a likeness to Beane that most of the Hollywood elite couldn't. With that said, the plot lacked excitement for a baseball movie. If the best part of the baseball portion of the movie to highlight is the 20 game winning streak, maybe it's a team and subject not worth making a movie about in the first place.

I feel terrible for Art Howe. Although I don't know the man, the movie made it seem like he's a malcontent and a bored, tired old man. Hoffman might not have been the best actor to play the part. Since when is Art fat? Also, every time I hear Jonah Hill talk I think of Super Bad. He's just not the most believable fit for the role.

Overall, I give it a B

gingi79
09-29-2011, 07:41 PM
I went last night. I really didn't pay much attention to the movie, because I was too excited about my out-fit. I was sporting an A's authentic replica, complete with pants, stirrups and white cleats. It was a bit nippy, so I threw on my A's Starter. My wife seemed jealous because of all the looks I was getting from the ladies. This one girl's boyfriend asked me what I was drinking or smoking. He was just jealous. He's obviously a hater.
Overall, the movie was awesome with a capitol "A".

You are nowhere near as clever as you think you are.

sox83cubs84
09-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Dave...is it because of his politics or because Jolie was once your gal and he stole her from you ? ;)

Chris:

If I tell you that the reason I'm not going to see Moneyball is the same reason I refuse to see 98% of the Hollywood productions out there, I'm sure you'll guess the answer.;)

Dave Miedema

trsent
09-30-2011, 12:19 AM

Dave Miedema

This thread was not started to discuss Brad Pitt outside the movie.

Dave if you saw this film and didn't know jack about Brad Pitt, you would leave the theater feeling you enjoyed the movie.

In fact, I'll make you a deal - Take your wife to the movie and email me a receipt from the box office with the price your paid and I'll pay for the tickets to see the movie. My treat for you and your wife.

How can you refuse that offer?

sox83cubs84
09-30-2011, 06:02 AM
This thread was not started to discuss Brad Pitt outside the movie.

Dave if you saw this film and didn't know jack about Brad Pitt, you would leave the theater feeling you enjoyed the movie.

In fact, I'll make you a deal - Take your wife to the movie and email me a receipt from the box office with the price your paid and I'll pay for the tickets to see the movie. My treat for you and your wife.

How can you refuse that offer?

If my wife agrees to it, OK...heck, I might even go by myself if I'm not the one putting the bucks in Pitt's pocket!;)

Dave Miedema

trsent
10-01-2011, 07:20 PM
If my wife agrees to it, OK...heck, I might even go by myself if I'm not the one putting the bucks in Pitt's pocket!;)

Dave Miedema

Email me the receipt after you go and give me the PayPal account to gift the money to.

Then I want what you thought of the movie pretending the lead actor wasn't Brad Pitt.

gorilla777
10-07-2011, 07:13 PM
Email me the receipt after you go and give me the PayPal account to gift the money to.

Then I want what you thought of the movie pretending the lead actor wasn't Brad Pitt.

Maybe have Keanu Reeves as Billy Beane?........

"Bro, this payroll is totally bogus, but OPS is way righteous!"

geoff
10-08-2011, 03:29 PM
One of the best baseball movies I have ever seen.Top 3 in my book.The other 2 have to be Major League 1 and Eight Men out.