PDA

View Full Version : The Jersey Rules

ziggy
09-27-2011, 04:12 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7008222/rick-reilly-jersey-rules

brewcrew
09-27-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm glad Rick Reilly put the exception in there for women. I own a lot of non-gamers and I enjoy wearing them to sporting events. :p

both-teams-played-hard
09-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Jersey Waiver A: By wearing a jersey, you are waiving your rights to any sexual activity for the evening. No woman in history has ever said, "Oooh, that guy wearing the jersey of another man! That's hot!"

Has a single dude ever met a woman, while wearing a jersey? Fellas, stick to solid color T's and khakis.

Dewey2007
09-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Well said!

Jersey Waiver A: By wearing a jersey, you are waiving your rights to any sexual activity for the evening. No woman in history has ever said, "Oooh, that guy wearing the jersey of another man! That's hot!"

Has a single dude ever met a woman, while wearing a jersey? Fellas, stick to solid color T's and khakis.

Titans74
09-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks, but I refuse to follow rules that are adhered to by pompous, uptight middle to upper class bozo's.

I'm 37 and enjoy wearing the occassional jersey. Mostly old school throwbacks from teams of my youth. I will agree with the undershirt rule. No self respecting grown man should ever leave his house with unsightly fat or nipples popping out from any article of clothing.

I'll continue to wear and enjoy my M&N Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Bo Jackson, Tom Seaver and other jerseys.

Shipp_96
09-27-2011, 05:18 PM

I actually thought this was another typical article from Reilly...which is not saying all that much. There was a time in the early 2000s when many musical acts wore jerseys (esp. Mitchell & Ness) that it was actually a trend to wear jerseys. I did then myself simply because I could get away with wearing my authentic jersey and not face public ridicule!

Oh yeah, dated plenty and wore jerseys all the time, including when I dated my now wife of eight years :D. Reilly is clueless. I know it was tongue and cheek, but still. Anyway, they were retired years ago by me. I think outside of the Super Bowl and maybe a signing years ago I cannot remember the last time I wore one.

So maybe he does have a point...nah!

Shipp_96
09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks, but I refuse to follow rules that are adhered to by pompous, uptight middle to upper class bozo's.

I'm 37 and enjoy wearing the occassional jersey. Mostly old school throwbacks from teams of my youth. I will agree with the undershirt rule. No self respecting grown man should ever leave his house with unsightly fat or nipples popping out from any article of clothing.

I'll continue to wear and enjoy my M&N Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Bo Jackson, Tom Seaver and other jerseys.

One of the two I still own is a M&N of my child hood idol, Franco Harris. The other I own is a Bettis, which now is rare and hopefully one day he will join Franco as a HOFer.

Jake51
09-27-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm 41, fat and wore a hat...so I broke more than a few of the rules but here's why:

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18870083 (http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18870083)

commando
09-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Here I am in 1992. The women LOVED me.

gingi79
09-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Reilly can kiss my jersey clad booty. Sheeple who can't stop themselves from telling other people what to do, think or wear are just showing their self loathing.

Maybe if more people listened to themselves and weren't just doing what everyone else does, the peer pressure infused boring landscape would change.

I have worn jerseys for 20 years. Picked up 2 ex gfs and a wife wearing one. Then again, I don't depend on others opinions of me to see my self worth. I'm a rebel, I know.

Whenever I hear people discussing other people's business my response is the same. Grow up, get out of high school and concentrate on your own foibles. Plenty enough to keep you busy there.

slab0meat
09-27-2011, 08:20 PM
I'm 38 now, and still wear a good number of my jerseys. Have worn then since about 12 or 13.

And back when I used to go out a lot with friends (and places/clubs still allowed jerseys to be worn), I wore them a lot. And not that I was any Don Juan, but a jersey never "waived" my right for any activity involving a girl. I had a decent batting average back in the day.

jppopma
09-28-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm 41, fat and wore a hat...so I broke more than a few of the rules but here's why:

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18870083 (http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_18870083)

Much better journalism there! Reilly is not quite at the top of the fashion world, take a look at a few pictures of him....

cjw
09-29-2011, 07:56 AM
Fellas, stick to solid color T's and khakis.

Warren, you are a good guy, but KHAKIS? Seriously? There is a reason Dockers stores are disappearing from landscape....boring and staid. Khakis (unless slim cut and flat-fronted, i.e. not pleated...and that is even pushing it) are as boring as wearing a Ralph Lauren blue button down.

I agree with Gingi, that one shouldnt instruct others what to wear and I am not trying to be too critical of khaki-wearers, but "YAWN".

MSpecht
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
This thread is locked following the various opinions that have been put forth and before Victor's old catalogue pictures start showing up. Thanks to all for your well-reasoned participation.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com