PDA

View Full Version : Do I have Brent Wallace's 448 ft. HR bat?

Tunis
09-25-2011, 11:37 AM
At last night's game, 9-24-2011, against the Rockies, Brent Wallace launched a huge blast of 448 ft. against Jason Hammel. It was the farthest at Minutemaid this year and 4th longest ever.
Here is the pitching sequence:

Bottom 2nd
1st pitch-foul
2nd pitch-HR

Bottom 4th
1st pitch-swing strike
2nd pitch-swing strike
3rd pitch-ball
4th pitch-foul
5th pitch-swing strike

Bottom 7th
1st pitch-Called strike
2nd pitch-Ball
3rd pitch-Foul------Broke bat

I can see 3 distinct marks on bat.
Ball mark on lower half of LS emblem
Ball mark just to the left and slightly below "Houston Astros"
Ball mark just to the left on TPX logo
There is also another area that shows some seam marks

The knob of the bat is dated 08/26/11, 34.0/31.0

Can anyone please help me with screen shots showing where contact was made? Especially the HR:)

Thank you in advance,

Paul

Tunis
09-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Can't believe I wrote Brent instead of Brett. I am trying to get some pictures uploaded but I am having problems with my camera/computer.

NeonStatus
09-25-2011, 05:40 PM
If the home run was hit last night when did you get the bat?

jppopma
09-25-2011, 07:00 PM
If the home run was hit last night when did you get the bat?

I was thinking this also, but then saw at the bottom of the at bats he lists that the bat was broken. If it was sold by the team, I'd have expected them to have it authenticated. If handed to him....why wouldn't he want to share that story with everyone?

Tunis
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Guys,
Sorry for the confusion. The bat will be authenticated as the bat that was broken while hitting the foul ball. The number is FJ 722357. I don't believe it is set up in the system just yet.

When he broke his bat, I ran to the Game Used store and explained that I wanted to purchase the bat. They called down to the dugout, the authenticator put the hologram on it, and one of the guys ran down and got it for me. I paid for it and took it back to my seat.

I knew he struck out his 2nd time up so I was pretty sure it was the same bat. Turns out, he justed started using LS bats. This might be his first hit with an LS model as he has been in a horrific slump. He was something like 0 for 28.

His first call up game was Sept. 2 and the date stamp is 8/26/11. I believe he was using Marucci's before then.

There is a nice Getty image showing it was a LS that hit the HR. Just need to confirm it was my LS.

spartanservitto
09-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Post photos of the bat... then we can match it with mlb.tv screen shots.

-Tony

Tunis
09-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Here are the pictures, I hope. I had a lot of trouble re-sizing them so I am not sure how they will look. Hopefully they will help someone with a photomatch.

Tunis
09-25-2011, 09:25 PM
That was horrible!!! Sorry. I am going to try again. Can we just delete that posting?

Tunis
09-25-2011, 09:43 PM
I think these will be a lot better. Any advice would be helpful:(

chuck70
09-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Hope these help you!!!

Chuck
chuck112770@yahoo.com

Always looking for Mike Cameron and Casey McGehee items!!!!

Tunis
09-25-2011, 10:05 PM
Chuck,
Thanks!!!!
Those shots are awesome!! He was definitely using the bat I have during his 2nd at bat as the ball mark matches up perfectly with the one by the TPX logo. Any shots at all of the at bat in the 2nd inning? He only saw 2 pitches. 1st pitch, a foul, 2nd pitch, the home run.

This was also the Major Leagues 200,000th game. Everyone seemed to make a big deal out of it but really it was just another game.
Paul

chuck70
09-25-2011, 10:10 PM
Paul,
Wasn't able to get any good close up shots of his at bat in the 2nd,too short of an at bat! LOL!!!!

Chuck
chuck112770@yahoo.com

Always looking for Mike Cameron and Casey McGehee items!!!!

frikativ54
09-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Cool find. I still hold out hope that he will be a productive Major League first baseman.

Tunis
09-25-2011, 10:49 PM
Now I am grasping at straws.... Is that a logical spot on the barrel for the home run to be hit? That spot has a nice thread mark running across it.

The other mark on the bat, just below "Houston" and to the left is not nearly as defined.

This bat might have been used in several other pinch hitting appearances. I also need to research what brand of bat he was using in the following games:

Sept. 23, Line out on Pitch #6, only contact, Bottom of 6th
Sept. 20, Strike out-no contact made at all, Top 7th
Sept. 16, Ground out to 2nd base Pitch #5, only contact, Top 8
Sept. 9, Strike out, 2nd pitch was a foul, only contact, Top 9

He might not have even been using LS for these games, he still could have been using Marucci.

Tunis
09-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Final update.
Thanks to the help of Chuck and Brian from the site, I am able to narrow down the window of when my bat was used.

The first game that Brett Wallace used a LS was Sept. 23rd. It was in a pinch it appearance. This may account for some of the seam marks that were created before my bat was used on the 24th.

Chuck produced a great shot show Brett handing the bat to a bat boy after he cracked the bat on the 3rd pitch of his 3rd at bat on the 24th.

Unfortunately, my hologram sticker states that he cracked his bat on the 4th pitch when he lined out to 3rd. That bat, of course, was a completely different bat.

The only clear photo matches I have are ones that link it to the 2nd at bat and the 3rd at bat on the 24th. If he didn't put his HR bat away after the 2nd inning, then I have it.

I believe I have it because of the number of ball contact marks on the bat. If he put the bat away after the HR, then there should only be 2 ball marks on the bat as he only made contact for 2 foul balls but there are 3 clear contact spots (including the ones the broke the bat and the home run, I think) plus another spot(foul) and one area that has seam marks.

I will run all this by Brett when I see him during the Astros Fall Caravans in the winter of 2012.

I am now putting this thread to sleep, I promise. Thanks to all that helped me or made some comments. Not the greatest bat ever, or player, but still one of my best "finds".

Paul

spartanservitto
09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
My avila bat had a similar issue and Alex was asked if he did use it for his 15th home run. The bat was relatively new with one distinguishable mark, and the mark remained on a photomatch to home run 16.... by the time the bat was done, the area where this initial mark was, had been destroyed by repeated contact. Alex acknowledged that was in fact the same bat.... My advice ask Brent, guys remember important bats, Avila had a hot August and had no doubts about mine. It was good enough for me.

-Tony

Tunis
01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Finally got my bat signed by Brett Wallace today at the Astros Caravan. Couldn't get a good, clear shot because of the reflection of the flash but the signature and inscription really look great.

joelsabi
01-25-2013, 12:44 AM
Finally got my bat signed by Brett Wallace today at the Astros Caravan. Couldn't get a good, clear shot because of the reflection of the flash but the signature and inscription really look great.

great story and great ending. i think it's great that you were aware of the situation so fast of the availability of the homerun bat. congratulation.

how did you figure it was 448 feet? from the ESPN source it says 461 as the true distance, the second longest at Minutemaid behind Prince Fielder's 486 blast. Was the 448 mentioned in a newspaper article?

Tunis
01-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Not sure where I found this but that was also the distance announced at the park that day.

Carlos Lee jogged to his customary position at the start of what turned outto be the 200,000th official game in major league history. Brett Wallace wasalready manning first base for the Astros. Lee stopped, stared at Wallace inmock surprise, and headed out to play left field.

Though Wallace hit a monstrous home run as an offer of proof he is capableof hitting for power, the Astros’ feng shui was hopelessly amiss in a13-inning, 4-2 defeat against the Colorado Rockies. The reward for the diehardsof a crowd of 26,209 that stuck it out for four hours and nine minutes was thespectacle of the Astros stranding the winning run in scoring position in theninth, 10th, 11th and 12th innings.

“We kind of let this one slip,” said Astros starter J.A. Happ, who limitedthe Rockies to two runs on three hits in seven innings.

The Rockies finally broke through against the eighth Astros pitcher, JordanLyles, who allowed the go-ahead run to score without the Rockies hitting a ballpast the mound. Lyles started the 13th by walking Tommy Field on four pitches.Eric Young beat out a bunt down the first-base line, and Field advance to thirdon catcher Humberto Quintero’s wild throw to first. A one-out intentional walkby Dexter Fowler loaded the bases, and Lyles forced in the go-ahead run bywalking Chris Nelson. Reliever Aneury Rodriguez allowed a sacrifice fly toWilin Rosario that provided a tack-on run for the Rockies, who ended anine-game losing streak.

The night had offered so much hope for the Astros. Wallace, who opened theseason as the starting first baseman, broke out of a 0-for-28 slump with thelongest home run at by an Astros player at Minute Maid Park this season.

“It’s definitely one of the best feelings in the world,” Wallace said. “ Ithink just the chance to get out there and help the team a little bit wasawesome.”

Making his second September start after a one-month stay at Class AAAOklahoma City, Wallace blasted a 448-foot home run (No. 5, in his 329th at-bat)off righthander Jason Hammel in the second inning. The first hit by Wallacesince July 23 was the fourth-longest home at by an Astros player at Minute Maidsince the park opened in 2000, and it gave Happ a 2-0 lead.

“I put a good swing on the ball and it’s rewarding to have that happen andlet those adjustments happen in a game,” Wallace said. “Since I’ve been back,I’ve really tried to focus on making my adjustments and staying ready for whenI got my opportunities and try not to look too much into those stats andwhatever else is going on.”

joelsabi
01-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Not sure where I found this but that was also the distance announced at the park that day.

Carlos Lee jogged to his customary position at the start of what turned outto be the 200,000th official game in major league history. Brett Wallace wasalready manning first base for the Astros. Lee stopped, stared at Wallace inmock surprise, and headed out to play left field.

Though Wallace hit a monstrous home run as an offer of proof he is capableof hitting for power, the Astros’ feng shui was hopelessly amiss in a13-inning, 4-2 defeat against the Colorado Rockies. The reward for the diehardsof a crowd of 26,209 that stuck it out for four hours and nine minutes was thespectacle of the Astros stranding the winning run in scoring position in theninth, 10th, 11th and 12th innings.

“We kind of let this one slip,” said Astros starter J.A. Happ, who limitedthe Rockies to two runs on three hits in seven innings.

The Rockies finally broke through against the eighth Astros pitcher, JordanLyles, who allowed the go-ahead run to score without the Rockies hitting a ballpast the mound. Lyles started the 13th by walking Tommy Field on four pitches.Eric Young beat out a bunt down the first-base line, and Field advance to thirdon catcher Humberto Quintero’s wild throw to first. A one-out intentional walkby Dexter Fowler loaded the bases, and Lyles forced in the go-ahead run bywalking Chris Nelson. Reliever Aneury Rodriguez allowed a sacrifice fly toWilin Rosario that provided a tack-on run for the Rockies, who ended anine-game losing streak.

The night had offered so much hope for the Astros. Wallace, who opened theseason as the starting first baseman, broke out of a 0-for-28 slump with thelongest home run at by an Astros player at Minute Maid Park this season.

“It’s definitely one of the best feelings in the world,” Wallace said. “ Ithink just the chance to get out there and help the team a little bit wasawesome.”

Making his second September start after a one-month stay at Class AAAOklahoma City, Wallace blasted a 448-foot home run (No. 5, in his 329th at-bat)off righthander Jason Hammel in the second inning. The first hit by Wallacesince July 23 was the fourth-longest home at by an Astros player at Minute Maidsince the park opened in 2000, and it gave Happ a 2-0 lead.

“I put a good swing on the ball and it’s rewarding to have that happen andlet those adjustments happen in a game,” Wallace said. “Since I’ve been back,I’ve really tried to focus on making my adjustments and staying ready for whenI got my opportunities and try not to look too much into those stats andwhatever else is going on.”

Thanks on the reply. I figured thats what was announced at the ballpark and the reporters also took down that distance in their notes.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/index.php?h=&p=&b=Minute%2BMaid%2BPark

This source is great. Has a link to a video for every MLB homerun which you can capture into your harddrive. It doesn't have a "reported distance" column, which was the measurement announced. This source has something called true distance which according to glossary is

True Dist. (True Distance, a.k.a. Actual Distance) - If the home run flew uninterrupted all the way back to field level, the actual distance the ball traveled from home plate, in feet. If the ball's flight was interrupted before returning all the way down to field level (as is usually the case), the estimated distance the ball would have traveled if its flight had continued uninterrupted all the way down to field level

Kinda misleading term since how can something be actual and estimated distance at the same time. So difference traveled is 13 feet (461-448) if it was unimpeded by a fan.

You went with the inscription I would have used given the choice of 461 feet or 448 feet. I am think most member would do the same.

But this is a great source of information. Are all HR distances to announced? Just wondering what would a collector inscribe in such a situation if they wanted a similar description on their bat.