PDA

View Full Version : Celebration!

godwulf
09-24-2011, 11:48 AM
No, I didn't start a thread just to crow about the Diamondbacks' clinching the NL West title last night - though it was tempting. I actually have a question.

After the mandatory locker room champagne showers and horseplay - all shown on the Jumbotron - a number of the players, first Ryan Roberts and Chris Young, then several others, came back out onto the field and started running up and down the third base line dousing and spraying the fans with champagne and high-fiving everyone. Parra ran all the way out to the left field bleachers - his territory, what they call The State of 8 - to spray chamagne on those folks, too. They were doing this for probably fifteen minutes.

I must confess that I don't spend a lot of time watching other teams' victory celebrations, but is this a common thing now? I'm used to watching the teams celebrate in the locker room, while the fans just wander off to their cars - I can't remember seeing a team actually make a point of involving the fans to this extent.

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that the Diamondbacks started one new tradition last night that won't be copied in other ballparks: about half the team ran across the field, at one point, climbed a small fence, and jumped into the swimming pool in full uniform.

After the last out, btw, I don't think I've ever seen a team disappear as quickly as the Giants. They evacuated that visitor's dugout like it was on fire.

brewcrew
09-24-2011, 11:50 AM
The Brewers got the crowd involved in 2008 and again last night, probably because all of them stuck around to watch other games on the giant scoreboard (THANKS CUBBIES!!!!).

I think it's a nice gesture - the teams realize that without the fans, they're nothing. Best of luck to the DBacks this season although I hope the Crew manage to get the #2 seed and a home playoff series first. ;)

godwulf
09-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Yeah, home field advantage is what we're playing for now, in these last five games. I bought my playoff tickets online yesterday, and hope to get to use them as soon as possible.

OaklandAsFan
09-24-2011, 12:03 PM
When the A's clinched in 2000 and 2001 they came back out and sprayed all the season ticket holders in the section that is next to the walkway between the dugout and clubhouse with Champagne and beer.

On a side note was great to see the Dbacks clinch it in front of the Giants!!!

on another side note (of personal preference) I hope the Dbacks don't get home field advantage cause I will be out of town for the first two games. If they do get home field I have 2 tickets on the concourse in LF for each of the first two games for sale.

chuck70
09-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Here are a few pictures from the Brewers Celebration with the fans last night!!!!!

Chuck
chuck112770@yahoo.com

gingi79
09-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm a Braves fan so my reply is tempered by the fact they will most likely have to play Arizona in the first round.

That being said, any time a team runs on the field and celebrates with the fans as if their support meant a lot to the players and they want the fans to enjoy their moment, I'm a fan of that team. That's class in my eyes.

When a team has a season like the Dbacks had last year, many fans stop coming to the park. We fans can sometimes be a fickle bunch and take losing personally. When a team goes from last to first and the players come back to the field to include them, it usually means the team appreciates the fans not abandoning them after one bad season.

Classy fans, classy players. Good Luck Arizona (unless you do play Atlanta) :p

godwulf
09-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Classy fans, classy players. Good Luck Arizona (unless you do play Atlanta)

Thanks, and good luck to the Braves, as well, except when you're playing the Snakes. I've got some fond memories of games in Atlanta - mostly involving DBacks wins, naturally. Randy's perfecto, for example, and certain others I'm much too good a sport to mention. :D

Tonight's game was just weird. The seventh inning interrupted by a 28-minute power outage. An infielder colliding with, and being knocked on his ass by, the Second Base umpire. Giants pitching walking 13. It was a 15-2 laugher, in the end, and the Giants have been eliminated from Wild Card contention.

coxfan
09-25-2011, 07:32 AM
When the South Carolina Gamecocks won the last two national championships in baseball, in both years they allowed fans to touch the trophy while carrying it around the basketball arena in the return-home celebration. Hopefully, none of the fans had mustard on their hands! I know people who got to the arena hours early just so thery could sit close enough to the floor to touch the trophy.

They couldn't repeat that in the parade that followed two days later, though. With 40,000 people at the parade, the trophy would be too much at risk of damage. The gamecocks and their baseball fans have a great relationship.

camarokids
09-25-2011, 09:04 AM
The Devil Rays did the same thing in 2008 spraying fans with champagne!

I think it is awesome the Giants did not even make the playoffs!!!

Maybe the Freak will cut his hair and BW will shave his beard ..... lol......:D

godwulf
09-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Wilson has some stiff competition for the Worst Beard award (some of my Amish cousins would be embarrassed by that thing), but Lincecum is clearly the owner of the worst haircut in professional Baseball. He looks like the kid in Third Rock from the Sun.

OaklandAsFan
09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
When the South Carolina Gamecocks won the last two national championships in baseball, in both years they allowed fans to touch the trophy while carrying it around the basketball arena in the return-home celebration. Hopefully, none of the fans had mustard on their hands! I know people who got to the arena hours early just so thery could sit close enough to the floor to touch the trophy.

They couldn't repeat that in the parade that followed two days later, though. With 40,000 people at the parade, the trophy would be too much at risk of damage. The gamecocks and their baseball fans have a great relationship.

Last year when I was in Chicago to watch the A's play the Cubs over the summer one of the players from the Blackhawks (who had won the Stanley Cup the previous year) was at the game with the cup carrying it around letting people hold it and take pics with it.

godwulf
09-25-2011, 11:22 PM
When Luis Gonzalez won the Home Run Derby in '01, he let the Mariners clubhouse guys keep the trophy for a week or two, so they could take it around. Hard to top that one. :rolleyes:

OaklandAsFan
09-28-2011, 04:29 AM
As I have already admitted I am selfishly hoping the Dbacks do NOT get home field advantage as I won't be home for the first two games so I was quite "giddy" when the Dodgers were up 6-1 with two outs and nobody on base tonight but HOLY SH!#@$#$ that has to be one of the greatest comebacks in history.

down by 6, nobody on base and two outs and the Dbacks come back and win it on a walk off grand slam, I'm telling ya divine intervention is gonna put a second trophy in their display case this year!!

gingi79
09-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Now that the Braves did their best Mets impression and blew a lead no team of professionals should, Let's Go Diamondbacks!

godwulf
09-29-2011, 09:20 AM
As I have already admitted I am selfishly hoping the Dbacks do NOT get home field advantage as I won't be home for the first two games so I was quite "giddy" when the Dodgers were up 6-1 with two outs and nobody on base tonight but HOLY SH!#@$#$ that has to be one of the greatest comebacks in history.

down by 6, nobody on base and two outs and the Dbacks come back and win it on a walk off grand slam, I'm telling ya divine intervention is gonna put a second trophy in their display case this year!!

They say it was only the second time in the history of MLB that a team has come back to overcome a five-runs-or-more deficit going into extra innings. And Ryan Roberts' walk-off grand slam was only the fourth time that's been done in extra innings when the team was trailing by three runs, joining Jason Giambi, Roger Freed, and some guy named Ruth.

Last night was almost a repeat, of course. Down 7-0 in the bottom of the ninth, with one out, and the Diamondbacks load the bases, Cole Gillespie, a late season call-up from Triple-A, hits a grand salome, followed by a solo homer from our backup catcher, Henry Blanco. It was fun, to say the least. Mattingly looked like a man wondering why he didn't stay retired.