PDA

View Full Version : MEARS rejects questionable submissions...

both-teams-played-hard
09-16-2006, 02:47 PM
Forum members often ask: "Do authenticators EVER turn down an item for authentication?".
On the MEARS website, the details of a questionable Clemente flannel are reported. LTC Dave Grob outlines the inconsistencies of the submitted jersey (size, re-sewn tagging, etc.) He admits that from photos, the jersey looked good. When he examined the shirt in person, he located the problems. A good read, and a great example of how actual research should be done by everyone who calls themselves an "expert" or "authenticator". LTC Grob refers to himself as neither. He refers to himself as a "researcher". I admire that.

On the MEARS website a few weeks ago, Dave Bushing proves a '55 Hank Aaron Flannel as bogus. Hand cut lettering, inconsistent material, tagging issues are samples of the problems. This jersey has been widely advertised to appear in Historic Auctions December auction. I hope Historic Auctions does not list the '55 Aaron. By the way, MEARS does not mention Historic Auctions in the report.
There are some people who want to make the hobby better.

trsent
09-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Forum members often ask: "Do authenticators EVER turn down an item for authentication?".
On the MEARS website, the details of a questionable Clemente flannel are reported. LTC Dave Grob outlines the inconsistencies of the submitted jersey (size, re-sewn tagging, etc.) He admits that from photos, the jersey looked good. When he examined the shirt in person, he located the problems. A good read, and a great example of how actual research should be done by everyone who calls themselves an "expert" or "authenticator". LTC Grob refers to himself as neither. He refers to himself as a "researcher". I admire that.

On the MEARS website a few weeks ago, Dave Bushing proves a '55 Hank Aaron Flannel as bogus. Hand cut lettering, inconsistent material, tagging issues are samples of the problems. This jersey has been widely advertised to appear in Historic Auctions December auction. I hope Historic Auctions does not list the '55 Aaron. By the way, MEARS does not mention Historic Auctions in the report.
There are some people who want to make the hobby better.

Amen, Brother.

both-teams-played-hard
09-27-2006, 03:17 PM
I hear crickets chirping...
A tumbleweed just rolled past my computer screen...
Did any other collectors read this article on mearsonline.com?