PDA

View Full Version : 1961 Yankees Road Flannel

both-teams-played-hard
09-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Just picked up this jewel. 1961 Yankees road flannel. "NEW YORK" on front is all original felt, some moth holes. Jersey has been recycled to the minors with number change. I cannot decipher the original number. Name swatch has been removed from collar. Manufacturer tags have been removed from collar, MacGregor on roads, right? Number "61" is written in tail in vintage laundry pen.
I have seen lockerroom photos with the "61" year notation written by the equipment manager of the time. Does anyone have a photo of a 1961 yankee with his shirt-tail out?

It would be appreciated if it was posted here, or you can e-mail me directly.
MANY THANKS

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/5316/ny1v.jpg

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7220/ny2.jpg

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/9776/ny8e.jpg

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/1173/ny9l.jpg

invintagewetrust
09-18-2011, 05:17 PM
The tagging in the neck looks like it did at one time have the Macgregor tag. I think they wore Spalding at home during this era. Wouldn't New York be stripped on the front replacing "new york" with the minor league affiliate? Could this be used in spring training during the '62 season instead of being recycled to the minors.

Either way its a serious shirt from one of the most important seasons in Yanks history! All I can say is WOW Warren, good job!

In Vintage We Trust.

both-teams-played-hard
09-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Yes, I probably mis-spoke by saying "minors" Spring training is more likely.

invintagewetrust
09-18-2011, 05:56 PM
It looks like just from some google image past auction searches that the Yankees wore Rawlings at home. The home shirts look like they do not have the marker tagging like your's does on the road. Are there any remnants of chain stitch marks on the bottom front tail?

Is it just me or are the away Yank flannel shirts harder to find?

In Vintage We Trust.

both-teams-played-hard
09-18-2011, 07:37 PM
It looks like just from some google image past auction searches that the Yankees wore Rawlings at home. The home shirts look like they do not have the marker tagging like your's does on the road. Are there any remnants of chain stitch marks on the bottom front tail?

Is it just me or are the away Yank flannel shirts harder to find?

In Vintage We Trust.

The chain-stiched on felt name swatch was definitely removed from collar. I cannot see any remnants on the tail. The "61" looks like the same penmanship written on some late 50s and early 60s examples. It very easily could be a 1960 shirt re-used in 1961.

invintagewetrust
09-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Yeah, the white tag strip outline is white, and I couldn't recall if the tagging for the player would be at the bottom or in the neck. Any idea why the Yankees used so many different manufacturers for there shirts? Even using two different companies during the same year?

In Vintage We Trust.

both-teams-played-hard
09-18-2011, 10:16 PM
Any idea why the Yankees used so many different manufacturers for there shirts?
Just like today, the Yankees did/do whatever the hell they want.:)

At least 4 different mfg's in the 60s, that I can count.

xpress34
09-19-2011, 10:37 AM
It very easily could be a 1960 shirt re-used in 1961.

BTPH -

Just backing you up on this statement. For those who don't know, it was thought for a long time that 'THE' jersey that Maris wore in 1961 to hit #61 had been lost to history and been recycled, trashed, etc...

It did finally turn up when a gentleman who had a 1960 Maris gamer realized that his jersey matched (photo matched) to multiple pictures taken of Maris that day in 1961. Maris was wearing his 1960 'hold-over / back-up' jersey that day for reasons that are unknown/lost to history. Maybe his 1961 jersey was dirty or getting patched up, or who who knows what.

Arguably the 'best' jersey from the 1961 season turned out to be a 1960 season jersey...

All the best -

Smitty

both-teams-played-hard
09-19-2011, 12:13 PM
BTPH -

Just backing you up on this statement. For those who don't know, it was thought for a long time that 'THE' jersey that Maris wore in 1961 to hit #61 had been lost to history and been recycled, trashed, etc...

It did finally turn up when a gentleman who had a 1960 Maris gamer realized that his jersey matched (photo matched) to multiple pictures taken of Maris that day in 1961. Maris was wearing his 1960 'hold-over / back-up' jersey that day for reasons that are unknown/lost to history. Maybe his 1961 jersey was dirty or getting patched up, or who who knows what.

Arguably the 'best' jersey from the 1961 season turned out to be a 1960 season jersey...

Great info. I also seem to remember reading that also.

BernBabyBern
09-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Hi Smitty - XPRESS34.

Can you please send me an e-mail? I have a quick question for you.

Thanks,
Pablo
mikeapno1@yahoo.com