PDA

View Full Version : Rivera gets 601

cjclong
09-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Mariano Rivera just got save 601 to tie for the most saves in a career. When you consider all the saves he has had in the playoffs and World Series he is definitely the greatest closer of the modern era. Its nice when a record like this will go to a player who has shown himself to be a a good person with class all during his career.

sox83cubs84
09-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Rivera is the greatest of this generation, but, historically, I'll take Sutter, Gossage or Fingers over him.

Dave Miedema

cjclong
09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I made the qualification greatest closer of the modern era. Obviously Rivera isn't pitching 3 inning saves (he's had a fair number of 2 inning saves) Would he have done as well doing that as Gossage and Fingers and Sutter, etc. Who knows? Against the Red Sox in the the 7th game of the 2004 playoffs he shut out Boston for 3 innings till the Yankees hit a walk off home run. Could he have done this frequently? Since baseball isn't played that way now we'll never know. And would the relievers who pitched two or three innings in the past have done as well primarily holding 9th inning leads? Its pure speculation. Baseball made a decision a number of years back to primarily use a shut down pitcher for one inning. Rivera has filled that role better than anyone else.

sox83cubs84
09-18-2011, 02:26 PM
I guess I'm showing my age/perspective there. My personal thoughts just don't allow me to think of 1970s as "vintage"...to me that's also "modern", and the 1950s is "vintage". I get your point...definitely the best of the last 20 years or so, and also a decent and classy person, too.

Dave Miedema

cjclong
09-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Dave, my own baseball watching goes back to the late 1950's which seems like yesterday to me now, but to the current generation is a lifetime ago. Like you I saw Fingers, Gossage, Sutter , Hoyt Wilhelm and some like Dick Radatz and Luis Arroyo who had very short careers. So I do understand your regard for the "old guys."

freddiefreeman5
09-19-2011, 10:32 AM
I think Hoffmans 601 saves are more impressive since he played most of his career for the Padres.
Wonder how many saves Hoffman would have had if he played his entire career with the Yankees?

gnishiyama
09-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I think Hoffmans 601 saves are more impressive since he played most of his career for the Padres.
Wonder how many saves Hoffman would have had if he played his entire career with the Yankees?

I have a lot of respect for Hoffman; you have to admire anyone
who's one of the best to do what he does. However he did
pitch in NL where he got to face pitchers and also played his entire
career in pitcher friendly ballparks in Qualcomm and Petco. Also its
impossible to know how he would of fared pitching in the most pressure
packed situations in front of the most pressure packed city.

Not taking anything away from Hoffman and I'm sure I'm bit biased because
I'm a Yankee fan but....just saying.

BULBUS
09-19-2011, 03:49 PM
602! Going by the numbers alone, Rivera is the greatest closer of all time. Beyond the numbers, what he has done in the post season and the number of years that he has been doing it, sets him even further apart. No bias here from a Yankees fan :p

gorilla777
09-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Way to go Mo!

Incredible feat from a very humble class act.

Ben

bdeol4
09-19-2011, 05:29 PM
I hate the Yankees, but have to say Rivera is one the best pitchers ever, period.

cjclong
09-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Hoffman has a great record and seems to be a fine man, but why would his being with the Padres necessarily bring him less saves? How many games did the Yankees play where they went into the 9th leading by 4 or more runs where a save is impossible? And Rivera got his under the constant pressure that New York provides and San Diego doesn't. In a head to head in the All Star game (I believe it was 2006) Hoffman blew the lead for the National League in the top of the 9th inning and got the loss. Rivera then came in and protected the one run lead for the American League in the bottom of the 9th inning and got the save. In the 2009 playoffs and World Series Obama was the only closer on all the playoff teams in both leagues who did not blow a save or lose a game. His ability to function successfully so often in pressure situations would set him apart from others even if he didn't now have the most career saves.

freddiefreeman5
09-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Good points and some I had not thought of.
I guess I have always been an underdog kind of guy and Hoffman didn't get this attention when he became the all time saves leader.
I do believe that Rivera is better than Hoffman, I just felt that playing on a team that was behind in so many games and won so few, that Hoffman's feat was more impressive.

maverick14
09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Hoffman has a great record and seems to be a fine man, but why would his being with the Padres necessarily bring him less saves? How many games did the Yankees play where they went into the 9th leading by 4 or more runs where a save is impossible? And Rivera got his under the constant pressure that New York provides and San Diego doesn't. In a head to head in the All Star game (I believe it was 2006) Hoffman blew the lead for the National League in the top of the 9th inning and got the loss. Rivera then came in and protected the one run lead for the American League in the bottom of the 9th inning and got the save. In the 2009 playoffs and World Series Obama was the only closer on all the playoff teams in both leagues who did not blow a save or lose a game. His ability to function successfully so often in pressure situations would set him apart from others even if he didn't now have the most career saves.

Obama??:confused:

freddiefreeman5
09-19-2011, 08:29 PM
Obama??:confused:
Obama wishes he could be as popular as Rivera.
One is great at his job and the other isn't. Guess who is who. :D

sox83cubs84
09-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Obama wishes he could be as popular as Rivera.
One is great at his job and the other isn't. Guess who is who. :D

+1

Dave Miedema

cliffjmp33
09-20-2011, 09:47 AM
MLB "tweeted" pics of Mo's uniform authenitcated from yesterday's historic game. I just don't like placement of their holograms some time.

http://t.co/O8nP0GQk

freddiefreeman5
09-20-2011, 11:41 AM
He was very humble and that is so refreshing in this "me" world we live in.

cjclong
09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Obviously I need spell check.
Interesting stat. Rivera got his 602 saves in 674 chances. Hoffman got his 601 saves in 677 chances. So Padres/Yankees played no role in number of chances. Hoffman is be commended on his classy congratulation to Rivera for breaking his record. Its true Hoffman probably hasn't gotten the recognition he deserves. However Rivera certainly deserves the recognition he is getting. Its nice when the two players at the top are both classy men you can respect.