PDA

View Full Version : Protecting Gamers from Moths

stkmtimo
09-15-2006, 11:56 PM
I currently store my game worn jerseys in my closet and just put a cedar block (I guess that's what it's called) in there in order to keep moths out of the jerseys and closet. Does anyone else do this? Is this OK to do? I'm just wondering as I hope it won't have any negative effects on my jerseys.

Thanks,
Tim

hblakewolf
09-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Moths are attracted to dirt in clothing-grease, etc. Unless your flannel material is clean, there is a good chance moths will make holes in the material as they eat.

I always wash my flannels when I obtain a new one (delicate cycle). Iron on a low setting, and store in a cedar chest.

I had a cedar chest custom made that holds a folded jersey perfectly!

Hope this helps.

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

bigtime59
09-16-2006, 10:55 AM
I bought a couple of boxes of inexpensive cedar paneling (available at most home improvement stores) and placed it in my jersey storage area. I didn't entirely panel the room in cedar, but ran 3 to 4 strips along each wall.

Mark Sutton
bigtime39@aol.com

34swtns
09-16-2006, 11:07 PM
I guess if there's any upside to living in a hot tropical climate it's that doors and windows stay closed year-round. Meaning no bugs in the house, period. If ever a moth, a midge, a miller or a mosquito is spotted in the house it gets a quick introduction to Mr. rolled-up Sports Illustrated and is promptly beaten into a powder.

indyred
09-16-2006, 11:24 PM
I think the newer poly made jerseys, you don't have much to worry about. They are built to last. I recall reading something on a hockey site, that HOF freezes there real old flannel/wool sweater jerseys from time to time as a precaution. Anyone heard of this before?