PDA

View Full Version : How many of these will hit the hobby?

sox83cubs84
09-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Yardbarker.com carrried an article today that stated that the Michigan Wolverines players will be given the option of keeping their retro uniforms from last Saturday's victory over Notre Dame. The decision is intended to reward the players for their hard-fought, double-comeback win. That being the case, I'm curious just how many will end up in hobbyists' hands, and how many that do will become available due to the breaking of NCAA rules (a la 2010 Ohio State)?

Dave Miedema

mad87man
09-14-2011, 10:11 PM
I saw this and was wondering too. I don't know how many will be available in short term now a year or 2 maybe in 4 or 5 years you will see some or more i think.

zookerman182
09-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Seems odd they would let them keep something that years from now could make them thousands of dollars.

Wouldnt that be considered a gift?

NCAA football regulations are so sketchy

Do i like that these jerseys will someday probably hit the market....absolutely.

Dolphins23
09-15-2011, 12:12 AM
NCAA is a joke for things like this. Why do it? I will be facebooking Denard in attempts to buy his jersey upon his leaving of the school :D

Go Michigan!

coxfan
09-15-2011, 06:52 AM
The whole question about the NCAA problem with selling memorabilia like jerseys is this: If the teams have given them to the players, that sounds like they're giving them something of economic value. It doesn't matter if they sell them years later; the economic value is still present, by IRS definitions, at the time of the gift. This could apply to anything, even trophies, that could be sold later as memorabilia.

If the teams didn't give them to the players, then the players are selling stuff that doesn't belong to them. The NCAA definitions on this point should be cleaned up, or not applied at all.

godwulf
09-15-2011, 08:45 AM
The "student" part of "student-athlete" should just be dropped, and the players recognized as university employees, and paid as such. Their "work" generates countless millions in revenue; their current status is a joke.

coxfan
09-15-2011, 09:35 AM
While lots of folks agree that student athletes should be paid, there's a big systems issue here. Only football and (maybe) men's basketball make money. Dozens of other college sports lose money, and rely on football profits to pay their bills.

Here at South Carolina, our baseball team averaged over 7,000 fans for each of more than 30 home dates and won two straight national championships, setting NCAA records in the process. But it still lost $300,000 last year. Football profits put all our sports in the black.

So if athletes are paid, who covers the other sports? Higher ticket prices or higher tuition? The best answer is to loosen up NCAA rules a little, such as allowing the sale of jerseys, etc., but Not to pay szalaries.

cohibasmoker
09-15-2011, 10:32 AM
While lots of folks agree that student athletes should be paid, there's a big systems issue here. Only football and (maybe) men's basketball make money. Dozens of other college sports lose money, and rely on football profits to pay their bills.

Here at South Carolina, our baseball team averaged over 7,000 fans for each of more than 30 home dates and won two straight national championships, setting NCAA records in the process. But it still lost $300,000 last year. Football profits put all our sports in the black.

So if athletes are paid, who covers the other sports? Higher ticket prices or higher tuition? The best answer is to loosen up NCAA rules a little, such as allowing the sale of jerseys, etc., but Not to pay szalaries.

If it costs $50.000 a year to attend a major University and the athletes, who are on schlorships, aren't paying like everyone else, in essence aren't they receiving a $50,000 salary?

Just an opinion,

Jim

mad87man
09-15-2011, 03:26 PM
If it costs $50.000 a year to attend a major University and the athletes, who are on schlorships, aren't paying like everyone else, in essence aren't they receiving a $50,000 salary?

Just an opinion,

Jim

i was going to post the same thing.

jppopma
09-16-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm glad that these players will get to keep the jerseys if they want. In response to anyone who thinks that it is a gift and violation of NCAA regulations, many schools will let their student athletes keep their jerseys this should be no different. If anyone wants to say that there is a value involved and they should not be able to keep them.....do you also think that college players should not receive any championship rings? Those have value too.

RASTANIF
09-18-2011, 06:43 AM
I was really hoping that U of M would auction these off. I'd love to own one of these!!!

perlman9
09-18-2011, 07:23 AM
If I recall, Ohio State players had the option to purchase at cost their throwback uniforms but they still had to buy them. I forget the amount but was about under $500 for the entire set. I am sure Michigan seniors after the season will sell off a few of the items, it will just be a matter of how public those items become. The fact is, many guys who don't make the NFL will look for some cash so am sure a few will pop up. As far as players just keeping the items, if I recall again at OSU, non-seniors got one jersey and a second if they made it to a bowl, seniors got helmet and jerseys. So maybe michigan is just giving the players this jersey instead of the normal in-season jersey? Just a thought.