PDA

View Full Version : Question re: players ordering jerseys

kingjammy24
09-15-2006, 01:50 PM
there was talk recently of players (and equipment managers?) now being able to order any jersey with all of the correct tagging, lettering, and numbering directly from the manufacturer. while i don't doubt any of this, it makes me curious why manny ramirez had those atypical, homemade-looking tags on the jerseys he sold? they were unlike any tagging i've ever seen from russell. it begs the questions:

- the tagging is so atypical, it seems unlikely that russell produced it. if russell didn't tag manny's massmarketed jerseys, then who did?

- why did manny come up with these "homemade" tags when apparently he could've easily ordered properly tagged versions of his jersey?

manny's "custom" tag:
http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/3382/man1hv4.jpg

typical, 2004 redsox tag:
http://img400.imageshack.us/img400/2664/man2qk2.jpg

rudy.

hblakewolf
09-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Rudy-
As I noted in an earlier post, I was told that Majestic has an account set-up that allows equip. managers to order the EXACT same jersey as those worn by the players FROM ANY TEAM, i.e., the Mariners equip. manager can order the exact same home jersey as the one being worn by David Ortiz, with the correct tagging. Although I am positive about this practice with Majestic, I have no confirmation about this being the case with Russell. As such, maybe this is the reason Manny had Mr. Fritz make up these homemade tags in her basement.

Just a thought.....:confused:

Howard Wolf
hblakewolf@patmedia.net

kingjammy24
09-15-2006, 04:35 PM
excellent! that seems to make sense. it's difficult to imagine that manny wasn't able to order boxes of his jersey, correctly tagged, etc from russell.
however, there must be a reason why he used these homemade tags. perhaps russell really did deny him. interesting. it's a nice thought to think that collectors only have to put up with these shenanigans from majestic.

personally i think the most interesting aspect to all of this is who made and affixed these tags? they look unlike anything i've ever seen on any jersey from russell, rawlings, or majestic. i can hear the "unsolved mysteries" theme playing.

rudy.