PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Refund Question

pacman2680
09-11-2011, 01:29 PM
I need someone to chime in on a topic that has come up, if anyone has any knowledge on the subject please help:

As a buyer, I purchase a shirt, am unsatisfied with it, request a refund. The seller tells me he wants me to ship the shirt back before giving me a refund. Does this make sense to anyone? I would think a refund is issued, then item goes back. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the help.

joshmiller0
09-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I need someone to chime in on a topic that has come up, if anyone has any knowledge on the subject please help:

As a buyer, I purchase a shirt, am unsatisfied with it, request a refund. The seller tells me he wants me to ship the shirt back before giving me a refund. Does this make sense to anyone? I would think a refund is issued, then item goes back. Am I wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Personally, I would be hesitant to send it back without a refund. However, I feel that you have more protection than he does. You have in writing that he will issue you a refund. In addition, you have your credit card company to back you. (I'm assuming you paid by credit card through paypal). I know you can go through paypal, but if you send it back and don't get a refund, you can call your credit card company to set up a dispute. In fact, you may want to call your credit card company first and ask for their advice. I would also get a name of the person that you are speaking to, in case there are any issues. On the other hand, if you get your refund first and don't send the item back (I know you will, I'm just saying what the seller may be nervous of) what recourse does he have? He can't call your credit card company and demand money...

ironmanfan
09-11-2011, 01:45 PM
assuming you used PayPal, as soon as you send the jersey back & provide PayPal with the Delivery Confirmation #, they will issue you a refund....

you can't have the shirt and the refund......

IMF

pacman2680
09-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I did use paypal, however the seller was trying to avoid refunding, so I opened a claim in paypal. Should I still ship it back?

Shipp_96
09-11-2011, 02:15 PM
I had a similar situation once on Ebay myself. Even though I didn't agree with it, I also had to ship the jersey back before getting my refund. Which I did get, but I also went thru Paypal so of course I was covered.

However, before I shipped it I did like you and opened a claim, and told him once the money has been refunded the claim will close. You are simply protecting yourself and he should have no issue with that.

I think that is only fair.

metsmetsmets
09-11-2011, 03:02 PM
I've been through once or twice -- as a buyer. Paypal will require the buyer to return the item first in order to receive a refund. This is what it is, although I don't think it's fair. The buyer has to pay before receiving the item, so it's only fair that the seller refund before getting the item back. Moeny before the item.

Here's a side issue --somewhat related-- that I think is worthy of discussion. When the ebay seller's description is clearly incorrect, or misleading, or just plain wrong and the buyer decides to return the item after realizing the inaccuracy in the seller's listing, Paypal/ebay, as far as I know, will not require the seller to pay the return shipping fees. In that circumstance, the seller can voluntarily agree to fund the return ship fee, if he is decent and has a reasonable conscience, but he will not be obligated to do so. So the buyer loses money on a transaction that was incorrectly described.

ironmanfan
09-11-2011, 03:06 PM
I did use paypal, however the seller was trying to avoid refunding, so I opened a claim in paypal. Should I still ship it back?

Open the claim, ship it back, report the Del Confirmation # to PayPal, they will refund your money plus the original shipping (unfortunately, not the shipping back).

towne63
09-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Good points all but...what would prevent the buyer, after getting the refund first, to then just keep the item? At least by returning the item to the seller first (with a delivery confirmation of some kind) you have a paper trail if it leads to a dispute.

earlywynnfan
09-11-2011, 03:13 PM
As a seller, I really see no reason why I would or should refund $$ before I have the item back in hand. As stated here, buyers have all the protection, and sellers practically none.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

Lokee
09-11-2011, 04:26 PM
As a seller, I really see no reason why I would or should refund $$ before I have the item back in hand. As stated here, buyers have all the protection, and sellers practically none.

Ken

Could not agree more.

metsmetsmets
09-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Ken

As a buyer, I don't see why I should pay for the item before I receive it. Whaddya think of that?

kudu
09-11-2011, 05:23 PM
As a buyer, I don't see why I should pay for the item before I receive it. Whaddya think of that?
Pretty simple solution, don't shop on the internet.

metsmetsmets
09-11-2011, 06:00 PM

That's not much of an answer. If the seller worries that he won't get paid after sending the item, then the buyer has just as much right to worrying about receiving the item after sending payment.

Dolphins23
09-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I just had this happen to me with a Chad Pennington Game used helmet. I recieved the helmet was unsatisfied with the item. I contacted the seller who sold me it and asked for a refund. (keep in mind I used paypal) He asked me If i could send the helmet back. (He issued refunded amount to pay for shipping which was about 20$. Once he recieved the helmet he refunded me 1900$. Hope this helps.

Dolphins23
09-11-2011, 06:02 PM

You've got to be 90 years old if you don't shop on the internet!

Dolphins23
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM
if buyer wants a refund buyer ALWAYS ships item back first. Once recieved you should have your refund with in 1-2 business days some cases hours after seller recieves the item back, keep in mind this is if you bought from a reliable seller who's known not to scam people on the internet. Like others stated the buyer has 99% of the leverage in this case and in most cases. Good luck.

P.S what did you buy? and what was wrong with it?

earlywynnfan
09-11-2011, 07:14 PM

I'm thinking you must not be on ebay.

Nor do you buy from auction houses.

Nor do you buy from anything ".com"

Nor do you buy from catalogs.

I guess I won't be dealing with you!

Ken

metsmetsmets
09-11-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm thinking you must not be on ebay.

Nor do you buy from auction houses.

Nor do you buy from anything ".com"

Nor do you buy from catalogs.

I guess I won't be dealing with you!

Ken

Oh c'mon. I wasn't serious. But other than custom and practice, the buyer, logically, can make as good a case for receiving the item before paying as the seller does for receiving payment before sending the item.

Lokee
09-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Oh c'mon. I wasn't serious. But other than custom and practice, the buyer, logically, can make as good a case for receiving the item before paying as the seller does for receiving payment before sending the item.

That way of thinking would not work on online shopping.

So buyers could easily steal the items the sellers sent without recourse.

Sellers cannot steal buyers money because paypal protects that.

Simply put your practice would not really work in today's society.

jppopma
09-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I'm curious as to why you are returning the shirt. You mention unsatisfied, but that could be anything at all.

For me personally, it can fall into three groups.

I bid on and won something I didn't want, misread the description, or took a failed chance on something: in that case I will just suck it up and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

I win something that is not quite what the seller described it as: I will contact the seller, arrange for the return, and not mind paying the return postage.

I win something that the seller flat out lied about or was fake: I will contact the seller, file the claim, and expect to be reimbursed for the return postage.

That's just me, but it seems to work well.

cohibasmoker
09-13-2011, 07:03 AM
In the rare cases that I had to send an item back, I always put my digital camera in my pocket and take the "UNOPENED" package to the Post Office. While inside, I shoot a scan of the item along with the mailing label and PO lobby, tape the package closed and send it away with delivery confirmation.

When the Seller gets the package, what excuse will he have for not returning my money? The item returned wasn't the item the Seller sent? Sounds like a good excuse but that won't hold water because we have proof of the contents of the package and that the package was delivered. If the Seller still refuses, file a complaint and send the scan to eBay.

I've only had to resort to these tactics once and it worked perfectly. In my case, the Seller got his item back and still refused to refund my money so I filed a complaint. Once eBay confirmed what was in the package and the Seller did indeed receive it, eBay refunded my money along with postage - It sounds complicated but it really isn't.

Jim