PDA

View Full Version : Explaining the hobby to friends and family

kylehess10
08-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Do people like friends or family ever think that you crazy & out of your mind for collecting game used? My parents say that I'm too obsessed and my friends just think there's something wrong with me. When they found out I spent $250 on a game used hat they kept telling me how much other stuff I could've bought with that money. But to me I think game used is the coolest hobby there is. But I guess some people just don't understand.

ahuff
08-20-2006, 05:30 PM
Yeah, they sure do. It is funny you ask, because my mother just stopped by this afternoon, and I showed her a few of my recent finds. She just gave me that motherly "What kind of son did I raise???" look!

2dales1number3
08-20-2006, 05:34 PM
My parents think I am crazy but my wife doesnt care as long as the bills are paid.

jon_8_us
08-20-2006, 05:52 PM
My parents,friends,girlfriend,and ex girlfriends all think i'm some sorta obsessed dork....but i couldn't imagine not collecting Red Sox game used
jon

suave1477
08-20-2006, 06:45 PM
My friends family co workers and women i date all think im nuts for spending all this money on game used items. WHICH IS TOTALLY NOT TRUE lol lol:p
ok well maybe a little but i enjoy the sport which leads me to enjoying the hobby. As I look at each peice I own. I look at it like I own a little peice of history.

thomecollector
08-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Exactly! when I tell my coworkers that I spent almost two weeks salary on a game used jersey. They look at me like an idiot. But like you said, just looking at the stuff knowing that your player wore it. Maybe during a great game. That's awesome! Most people buy the card for a jersey. You get the whole jersey. That's a big difference......:D

sfgiants452
08-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Yea a lot of poeple think I am nuts for collecting. My dad understands but my mom thinks I should be spending it on something else or on nothing at all, but she likes to see me happy so she contributes time to time. Most of my friends think I am nuts and one of my teaches said why would you want someones "dirty laundry". I simply replied with I love to collect memorabilia just like you love to go to your broadway shows (she loves it). I thought she was wasting her money with that but the truth his it doesn't matter what other people think. You do what you love to do. That is you I laugh when poeple say "get a life". Life is what you make it and what you want to do with it.

Anthony

scottanservitz
08-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Great post! I have friends come over all the time and ask what I picked up. They always think it is reallly cool. The only bummer is that they ask what I paid for this stuff. I reluctantly tell them so then they think I may have a screw loose. But in all reality, I am pretty selective in what I purchase. Most of my pieces will hopefully hold their value or increase over the years. You guys are right, we do it because we enjoy it! That is all that counts. We have our own little museums and when I am holding a bat it really feels cool knowing that that player used that bat or wore that jersey in front of thousands hitting that game winning hit, or scored that winning touchdown. That is the best. As long as the kids are fed and the mortgage is paid, why not.
Scott

bigtime59
08-20-2006, 10:08 PM
To put it like Lou! Lampson! would!:
Yes! Very! much! so!
My wife thinks I'm a complete moron for doing this, but as long as I drop my share in the joint account every month, probably figures it's better than me blowing the $$$ at the nudie bar.

BTW, you ever notice that Lampson! writes LOAs kinda like Shatner! reads! lines! ! ! !
:eek:

geoff
08-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Everybody makes fun of me for collecting game used but i don't care.I sometimes tell my friends how much i spend and they say i should sell my stuff and buy a house.Im not even close too that but i think its funny and i tell them in time the stuff i have will be worth alot of money.My girlfriend yells at me sometimes when i tell her how much i just spent on a certain item.I laugh at her too.I love collecting and have the time of my life doing it.

skipcareyisfat
08-21-2006, 08:17 AM
No one's ever told me I was crazy for collecting dirty, used equipment. My family and friends have always been supportive about it, although I don't really talk about it with most of them so I'm not sure if they really know how much I'm into it. My wife is pretty cool with it, too. In fact, just the other day we were watching a baseball game on TV and the camera was on Marcus Giles, who was batting. Almost as soon as they showed a close-up of Giles, my wife said, "Look how dirty HIS helmet is." I told her to back off and find her own obsession. :p

Swoboda4
08-21-2006, 08:37 AM
Sometimes I look at the family room in the basement with all the baseball G/U items and wonder if I just didn't grow up enough. But then you go to Cooperstown and certain other museums ,and say to yourself this stuff looks great I guess I'm O.K. As long as items are framed and showcased well that's what makes the difference.

Yankwood
08-21-2006, 09:22 AM
I think we're all just basically social misfits, but that doesn't bother me.

jboosted92
08-21-2006, 11:51 AM
I think I get the most joy out of displaying/ and helping others fans and not fans of Collecting understanding what each peice means.

Bats, Balls, etc...

I Collect items, that have a Significant history or attribution to a time/player/World Series..etc.

So I can place myself, or that person I am talking to right in that ballpark, when the player was using it.

For instance, I have a 1933 Al _ All star signed baseball.

Now its not game used, but as you can imagine, all the players, sitting in the dugout of the 1ST ever All-star game passing MY ball around signing 1 after another...

Players leaving the sweet spot available for Babe Ruth to sign... then 3 hours after he signs it, he goes out and hits a HR (which the HR ball just sold for 710,000).

Or a Bat I own that quite possibly have been used in the First world series.

Or Bats of HOF;s or Star;s that performed heroic on the field in there generation.

I also have played baseball my entire life, so maybe I have a different connection to the diamond than some. But understanding the talent and skills of theses individuals, and at the same time the History taking place, puts me in that history. Sort of :) :p

Thats what I enjoy.

trsent
08-21-2006, 01:03 PM
When I was in high school my father used to harass me that he wanted to see me take my baseball cards to pay my bills.

About ten years later my father was short with a down payment on a new house, you know where the money came from...All those baseball cards he harassed me for buying.

ivo610
09-11-2011, 03:29 AM
Just wondering how peoples friends and family react to your passion for collecting GW items?

Today I showed a good friend part of my collection. He had a hard time grasping the whole video/photo matching part of it. Being a non collector he was interested in what kind of authenticity the item had. Trying to explain to someone why authenticity isnt really a good thing to lean on was trying.

Number13
09-11-2011, 05:13 AM
For me, it is easy to explain to people. I am a history nut and love the connection it has with the past. When I put that spin on it, most people can make a connection to their childhood. I enjoy it more when people think I am either crazy or weird because of what I collect:p

brewcrew
09-11-2011, 07:59 AM
Eh, my friends and family don't really get it. My husband tolerates it, though. They all know how "into" history I am and know how much I love sports, but it's just an unusual hobby for them to understand. It doesn't much bother me, because I think the stuff I have is pretty cool. :D

Besides, I think the main thing they're concerned about is when they'll have to make that call to A&E to put me on "Hoarders." I keep telling them my collection is really, really small compared to a lot of the guys on here. :p

zookerman182
09-11-2011, 08:02 AM
Everyone i try and explain it to doesnt get it.

And if they do get it, they really dont understand the significance of everything.

Then there are the friends who are afraid to touch the items, that cracks me up.

My wife actually understands i think more than anyone else, because she knows how much i like the brewers.

mad87man
09-11-2011, 09:03 AM
No matter what i collect people never really understood it. I have collected wrestling figures, diecast cars, and now game used. Some people think its cool while others thing its weird. I don't see what the difference is if i have a 5 game used helmets or a girl has 40 pairs of shoes. I really understood that but never really questioned it so i guess its a mutual understand of sorts.

David
09-11-2011, 12:44 PM
I'm an art historian by trade, specializing in the identification and dating and dealing with forgeries of art and artifacts. With friends and other art historians who know my trade, I've explained that people collect equipment used in old sports events and this material is sometimes faked for material game, and they seem to appreciate the concept. They usually think it odd that people would spend so much for an older jersey, but they they can understand the concept of collecting items. They already understand the idea of collecting.

David
09-11-2011, 12:52 PM
I think if you showed about any adult American a bat used by Babe Ruth in a game, they'd appreciate it. It would be on the order of showing them General Patton's helmet.

I think when you have a closet full of game used pants from last month's Brewers' game, they'll think you're weird.

David
09-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I do think a majority of people appreciate some significance or interestingness of a jersey worn in a game by a famous baseball or football player. They might not be willing to pay $10 for it or have an interest in owning it themselves, but they can understand the jersey as an interesting artifact.

David
09-11-2011, 01:01 PM
I should add if someone showed my his Michael Jackson sparkly concert worn jacket that cost $100,000 I'd think him weird. I mean, I guess I can understand purchasing a concert worn item, but spending $100,0000 would make me question his priorities in life.

So it's not so much what you collect, but how much you spend, how much you own and how much time you put into it is what lay people find strange.

If I have an one of those little rubber ugly troll thingies on my desk, people might chuckle or think it cute or say "I have one of those." On the other hand, if they find out my home is lined with hundreds of them, they might question my mental health. So it's degree and amount that often is the key to how people view you.

David
09-11-2011, 01:05 PM
A Topps executive once said when asked about baseball card collecting, "Collecting is like a disease. And if you don't have the disease, you don't understand it."

A lot of people won't understand collecting anything.

Shipp_96
09-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Everyone i try and explain it to doesnt get it.

And if they do get it, they really dont understand the significance of everything.

Then there are the friends who are afraid to touch the items, that cracks me up.

My wife actually understands i think more than anyone else, because she knows how much i like the brewers.

Same goes for me. My wife is the only one that "gets" it, but even then she is always asking "Really? $300 for that so it can hang in a closet, and no one but you will ever see it again or even know you own it?" But she understands the significance, and when I have sold old pieces to get new ones she also sees there is a value to it. My opinion is she knows I love sports and get joy out of it, so that is all that matters to her. Plus, she used to go to autograph shows with me even when we dated. So the collecting sports memorabilia thing is not new to her.

My co-workers think I'm "odd", and just don't get it. I would venture to say even fellow Penn State alums really do not "get" my collection, even if they think it's cool I own Tambi Hali's worn cleats. I had two co-workers when I worked in DC that got it, and loved my collection and how I had it displayed. They thought it was very cool, but of course were themselves collectors. If my parents or Aunts and Uncles ever knew what I spend on this stuff they would think I was just crazy. Or weird, but they have always thought I was the "different" one.

flota89
09-11-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't really talk about it with any of my friends of family. Those who do know don't really get it though. That seems weird to me. I don't get how people can spend $50 a week for cigarettes or go shopping every other weekend and it be "normal" but it is. But when you spend $200 on a bat that you could resell for the same value if needed it's just weird.

In my opinion, some people just don't really get the whole having a hobby thing.

masp3392
09-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I got hit with the "why are you buying something your never going to wear or use" question from my girlfriend the other day. She's never collected anything throughout her life so far so she doesn't understand the concept of "collecting".

Even through all that she knows im a die hard hurricanes fan and understands that It's my hobby but can't understand why these items are so darn expensive. ( I cant either :D )

MLB~NUT
09-11-2011, 05:55 PM
I usually get most friends and family who think its cool when I get a new game jersey or bat, even a ball most get it, the ones that don't I don't bother trying to explain it to....

Todd Vernon

toddman26@sbcglobal.net

Dach0sen0ne
09-11-2011, 08:08 PM
I normally get the following responses;

1. You collect what?

2. Who the hell is Austin Jackson?

3. Are you joking about having a website for your Austin Jackson crap?

NOBODY understands me. :(

maverick14
09-11-2011, 08:41 PM
I normally get the following responses;

1. You collect what?

2. Who the hell is Austin Jackson?

3. Are you joking about having a website for your Austin Jackson crap?

NOBODY understands me. :(

haha, this post gave me a good laugh........you have an awesome collection though and we understand :D

sox83cubs84
09-11-2011, 09:33 PM
My wife and in-laws don't fully understand it, although they respect it. So did my father, when he was alive, as we often would do local shows together in the 1980s.

My brothers used to constantly ridicule my involvement in the hobby, until they saw that I was gaining fame and notoriety in the hobby, even if I wasn't getting independently wealthy in the process. I'm not sure what either one of them would think now...we haven't spoken in 17 years and I really don't give a rat's rearend what they think.

Dave Miedema

UTeric3232
09-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Ya, my wife is about the only one who gets it....

But even she gives me the "Oh great, another jersey thats just going to crowd the closet" type of comments once in a while.

yankees506
09-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Im not out in the public with my collection as i am semi-private but the few people ive let in my world have either one of 2 reactions.

1. Couldnt care less (no worries here :p )

2. Think is cool but over the top, the "this looks like a museum" comment is one that catches me by surprise everytime (i dont see it that way at all).

When people ask me "why" i simply say, "i have nothing better to do and i think its cool". My family only cares that it makes me happy, now if i could only explain to the old gf why we need to take our pictures down for my new cano bat :mad: :cool:

Manram
09-11-2011, 10:04 PM
One I get a lot is how do you know the player actually used it? Then when you try to explain companies like PSA and mlb authentication they don't get it............

frikativ54
09-11-2011, 11:31 PM
While my Dad thinks I have enough memorabilia, my Mom is pretty understanding. She will on occasion buy something game used for me, or if I am desperate for something, loan me the money. Recently, after she loaned me money for an item, I showed her video of the player wearing it, and she thought it was really cool. Likewise, after I explain my passion for a certain item and the story behind it, she has an appreciation too. Her attitude is at least I'm not spending the money on beer or drugs and everyone spends money on some hobby. We are live and let live.

frikativ54
09-11-2011, 11:34 PM
My brothers used to constantly ridicule my involvement in the hobby, until they saw that I was gaining fame and notoriety in the hobby, even if I wasn't getting independently wealthy in the process.

I didn't realize that you were famous in the hobby, Dave.

I'm not sure what either one of them would think now...we haven't spoken in 17 years and I really don't give a rat's rearend what they think.

Wow - Sorry to hear that, Dave. That must be rough.

gingi79
09-12-2011, 12:59 PM
My friends are impressed when it is a player or team they root for. Then they want to touch and have questions about how I got it and such.

Most didn't really care though until my wedding when their groomsman gifts were game worn jerseys from their favorite teams. Suddenly, my collection seemed a lot more interesting.......:p

frikativ54
09-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Most didn't really care though until my wedding when their groomsman gifts were game worn jerseys from their favorite teams. Suddenly, my collection seemed a lot more interesting.......:p

LOL! That's a funny story. :p

thegoodz15
09-13-2011, 10:33 AM
morning forum, i thought this was a great title and i have been hearing such stories since 1984 why i collect game used uniforms and bats....having one of the largest ollections on the east coast, i start telling people of my first story that in 1990 i traded my 1956 mantle uniform for my first house at the age of 26.......at the time the house was 180k.......today the uniform believe it or not is worth more then the house.....when people come to my home they ae simply in awe from trophies and the hundreds of game used bats i have displayed.....ask any who collects art or baseball memorabila and they will simply tell you....if there is a rembrandt on the wall for 20 million dollars or a mickey mantle game used world series bat.....the bat is will be talked about all evening...in florida i actually do seminars in the 55 and over communities teaching people that its the greatest hobby in the world and one of the greatest investments out performing stocks and real estate.....i get more pleasure looking at my ruth, mantle, munson game used bats that looking at my 3000 shares of a piece paper of microsoft....lol....and when a item that you have sells for hundreds of thousands of dollars....and you own one.....that when you can laugh at friends and family....in closing there are so many people i have met since 1984 that share the same passion i have with the game of baseball and yankees memorabilia.....and i hope to teach this to my daughter charlie who is 15 months old......when family and friends do come over the house kinda makes you feel like a ballplayer or a rock star...lol

happy collecting,
scott m. goodman......"thegoodz15"