PDA

View Full Version : Dan Marino on eBay with some questions

gingi79
09-08-2011, 01:35 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dan-Marino-Dolphins-Signed-Game-Worn-Used-Jersey-W-COA-and-Letter-Provenance-/280735938141?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2640069629510393928

First of all, yes I emailed the seller with these issues and was ignored. I think this jersey shows an excellent example of letters of providence being less than rock solid.

1993 was a terrible season for Dan. He was injured on October 10th against the Browns.

-The jersey he wore that game had different sleeves.
-While he did play in 2 other away games, they wore a JR patch that season.
-While the nameplate on my 1993 Dolphins jersey was sewn on like the jersey in the auction, they were not sewn on in 1992. I mention this because the sleeves match 1992 and the Dolphins played on post season game in white jerseys against the Bills. I have never heard of a 1993 season sewn patch on a 1992 season jersey however.
-In 1994, the Dolphins switched to tackle twill sewn on numbers and all jerseys had a 75th Anniversary of the NFL patch.
-The jersey shows zero wear.

I would say for a player with so many questionable jerseys on the market and so many issues with this one, to pass on it. A $1500 reserve is way too cheap for this jersey. That tells me the seller most likely knows it has all the problems. Just an FYI

Mulligans
09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Gingi....This is my Marino Jersey.....I listed it Yesterday and I received only one question on the Jersey. I replied in less than 5 minutes in an extremely courteous fashion as I always do. I did not receive a return email to my response?

I do not think that $1500 is a low reserve on an item that has a BIN of $5000. Is $5000 too cheap for a Dan Marino Jersey? I certainly don't think so. I'm hoping demand will determine the Value of the Jersey vs. having it sit @ for a year on Ebay.

Now in regards to Authenticity....It does show wear as I said in my email and is also described appropriately on the COA. Although I have not photo matched it, I have also not had the opportunity to watch video of every Dolphins game in question.

gingi79
09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Gingi....This is my Marino Jersey.....I listed it Yesterday and I received only one question on the Jersey. I replied in less than 5 minutes in an extremely courteous fashion as I always do. I did not receive a return email to my response?

I do not think that $1500 is a low reserve on an item that has a BIN of $5000. Is $5000 too cheap for a Dan Marino Jersey? I certainly don't think so. I'm hoping demand will determine the Value of the Jersey vs. having it sit @ for a year on Ebay.

Now in regards to Authenticity....It does show wear as I said in my email and is also described appropriately on the COA. Although I have not photo matched it, I have also not had the opportunity to watch video of every Dolphins game in question.

I sincerely hope I did not offend you with this post. I tried not to be accusatory but simply to provide all the info I could. I went back through my emails and it somehow went into my Spam folder. Thanks for writing back and giving more information.

$1500 for a Marino with that letter and none of the things I mentioned is, in my opinion, insanely cheap. $5k is much more fair and in line with recent auctions.

Marino did play 2 away games before his injury and one was against the Bills in Buffalo during the 1993 season. The photo on the Beckett looks a lot like the one from the 1992 playoff game on Getty. Getty has no pictures from the 1993 game unfortunately but the bottom of his sleeves from the 1993 Browns game were totally different and had the JR patch. My 93 McDuffie had it removed but showed remnants of stitching and residue. Is there any residue or remaining stitching from the patch on yours? If there is, I would suggest adding it to your auction as it eliminates one large red flag.

As I said, Marino is one of the most faked jersey out there right now. There are a couple of things that don't gel with photos from the season, just pointing them out. I sincerely hope photos from the Buffalo game come out with a solid match and I want you to know I am looking as well.

Dolphins23
09-08-2011, 03:21 PM
gingi mulligans is the most legit guy you will ever deal with in my and yours life time! Never question JEFFS authenticity! lol JK but no really he is the man.

I do question 1 thing about Jeff though....And all dolphins fans should take this into account when dealing with Mulligans..

For a Pats fan he buys a lot of PHINS gear!!!! haha :D And thank God he does because hes the guy who helped me obtain both my GRAILS well him and Master Woody

Dolphins23
09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
and gingi you have to remember, mulligans is a collector, he sells his stuff cheap because he likes to see other collectors happy. Yeah he does sell a lot of his collection at times, but believe me Mulligans is out for the people and I know this first hand. He sold me one of my grails for 750$ when he could have let it go on ebay or at another auction for well over 1000$ espcially being as to how much the Player I bought is loved by all NFL fans. Goes to show you that like Marino, class pays and paying for class is always well worth it in my honest opinion. The value of a classy players jersey as to some pac man jones punk will be so opposite on the rictor scale that its some what comical.

That being said 1500 reserve is very honest to meet a collectors needs as far as pricing. He is right 100% to list it at 1500$ because he is correct in stating that why list it with a high reserve when the market has been so low for superstars in recent and some end up on ebay for over a year. Yeah that Marino that sold recently for 7,500 is an example, but keep in mind that guy listed the jersey only once and he listed it a week before kick off for the season. Theres been a 98 marino sitting on an auction site for years with all proper paperwork and photo-match for 7,200$ and its still sitting there. Mulligans is smart when it comes to selling and I'm sure hes sold more super star jerseys on Soft and Hard markets then any member on this board. The man knows what hes doing, and he is not out to scam or lie to any customer. He also replys to emails very quickly so the fact that he "ignored" you I find very hard to believe.

Mulligans I can't believe your selling some of your jerseys that you had listed as NOT FOR SALE. Looks like some one is stocking up on funds for the season :D .

P.S please no bidding wars with me for phins QB gamers. If anything if your bidding against me I'll let you win and then buy it off of you haha. But yeah would be pointless to bid eachother up lol

gingi79
09-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Found the game on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrLILtwPmAo

At the 3:11 mark, you can clearly see the sleeves are different than yours.

Everything I have seen points to the AFC divisional game in Buffalo January 1993 as the sole game that matches this style jersey. I hope someone with more information about jerseys from that game can chime in and hopefully verify they wore 93 year tags during the end of the 1992 season when the game date was in 1993.

For some reason, the Fish wore white during some home games and some away games that season. I believe they wore white against the Jets September 12th based upon the Boomer Esaison getty image listed as from that date in a green jersey. However I have not seen a single image from 1993 with Marino sleeves matching 1992.

I also can rule out its use during August 1993. During the 1993 preseason, the names matched the tri-colored numbers in an experiment that was discarded.

otismalibu
09-08-2011, 03:52 PM
and gingi you have to remember, mulligans is a collector, he sells his stuff cheap because he likes to see other collectors happy.

Who needs The Onion?!?!

Dolphins23
09-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Found the game on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrLILtwPmAo

At the 3:11 mark, you can clearly see the sleeves are different than yours.

Everything I have seen points to the AFC divisional game in Buffalo January 1993 as the sole game that matches this style jersey. I hope someone with more information about jerseys from that game can chime in and hopefully verify they wore 93 year tags during the end of the 1992 season when the game date was in 1993.

For some reason, the Fish wore white during some home games and some away games that season. I believe they wore white against the Jets September 12th based upon the Boomer Esaison getty image listed as from that date in a green jersey. However I have not seen a single image from 1993 with Marino sleeves matching 1992.

I also can rule out its use during August 1993. During the 1993 preseason, the names matched the tri-colored numbers in an experiment that was discarded.

I thought Marino never wore S cut sleeve style?

Dolphins23
09-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I ment striped sleeves. But yeah Mulligans jersey was def not worn against the bills.

Dolphins23
09-08-2011, 04:27 PM
You never know Marino could have given Levritz an issued jersey and just said it was game worn. The jersey he has matches the magazine cover, so is there any proof that it could have been worn in 94? Or is that ruled out

Dolphins23
09-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Look at the sleeve what is that patch/logo at tip of sleeve? P.S this was 1992 season, but worn in 93 against bills.

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/98289188.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F541B6663AA422B98C 0549B6B7F3B10BC27CB65E13240AC2FE

fbchiefs879
09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
I did some research on this jersey a while back, and it's a legit gamer. I was able to style match it to that season, so i don't understand why there is ANY concern over it. Ive got dolphins games from all seasons, including that one, and its definitely a style match. of course its almost impossible to photomatch these old jerseys, but i know the seller and he is very honest and upfront.

fbchiefs879
09-08-2011, 11:09 PM
oh also.....back in the don shula era, the dolphins ALMOST ALWAYS wore white jerseys!!!!!