PDA

View Full Version : Can someone shed some light on this Sean Taylor Jersey?

masp3392
09-08-2011, 08:49 AM
1) obviously the price is extremely overpriced for what i've seen sean taylor jersey's go for, especially since i have fellow hurricane collectors that have sean taylor jerseys and didn't pay anywhere near that vicinity.

2) who is lou lampson and how credible are his "LOA's"? now a days its easy to fabricate at LOA/COA and it seems like photomatching is the better definitive proof or a LOA directly from the university itself.

3) overall what do you guys think about it?

masp3392
09-08-2011, 09:10 AM
forgot to add the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sean-Taylor-Miami-Hurricanes-Game-Used-Jersey-w-LOA-/110640438818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2af1e22#ht_2642wt_1038

fbchiefs879
09-08-2011, 09:19 AM
I think if I started writing up COAs, they would be more credible than Lou Lampson :p

gamewornauthentics
09-08-2011, 09:28 AM
let me start this by saying; without seeing this jersey in person i cant tell if it is game worn or not; nor am i in the business of giving a public opinion on others jerseysy. this is just the information i have gathered over the year.

jerseys from that era that were worn in games generally had a "G" "1" or "2" written in the neck tag.

tags with "X" , "O", or nothing written in the colar were generally backups.

keep in mind the school ordered tuns of extra jerseys during that time frame to sell to raise money for the football progam and to offer to players and their families to buy extras (they were very very popular when the first came out).

also keep in mind always buy the jersey and NOT the letter.

game worn miami jerseys should show a couple things from handeling miami jersey in the past.

1) hit marks on the shoulder area
2) loose threads around the colar (the threads always came lose when stretched around the shoulder pads) THIS WAS A BIG ONE
3) some smuding of the nike neck colar and running ink from the letter or number written on the tag.

i hope this helps.

maverick14
09-08-2011, 09:41 AM
I think if I started writing up COAs, they would be more credible than Lou Lampson :p

Weren't most, if not all, the jerseys that were "gamers" being sold by Vintage backed by Lampson when they got busted?

maverick14
09-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Couldn't figure out how to edit my post to add the link but here ya go.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=45140&highlight=lampson

fbchiefs879
09-08-2011, 12:06 PM
im not sure on that, but it wouldn't suprise me. he'll write a coa for anything

gingi79
09-08-2011, 12:20 PM
There are many collectors who won't buy or trade for an item with a Lou Lampson LOA. To say his reputation is less than pristine is to say falling out of a boat on the ocean could make you wet.

He boasts of having " at my disposal, 50,000 sports related photos in my library". Well Louie, in 1980 that may have sounded impressive. In 2011, anyone with internet access can dwarf that collection by clicking Image Search on Yahoo.

Listing a Lampson LOA is a red flag that other authenticators, long time collectors, the player or the team might have doubts about the item's authenticity. Lou would sign off on seemingly anything and doing a search for his name on this site or Google would net you more horror stories than the entire of Stephen King's mind.

All of that being said, an LOA or an LOO or a COA is just a piece of paper with impressive sounding words on it. It can't make a jersey real nor can it suddenly strip one of it's authenticity. They were born of a collective fear that items were not what they were proported to be and gave piece of mind to people who did not want to do their respective homework. The fact a person lied about a jersey being real and then the SAME PERSON wrote said lie down, suddenly lent creedence? P.T.Barnum said it best: "There is a sucker born every minute and two to take him"

masp3392
09-08-2011, 01:16 PM
let me start this by saying; without seeing this jersey in person i cant tell if it is game worn or not; nor am i in the business of giving a public opinion on others jerseysy. this is just the information i have gathered over the year.

jerseys from that era that were worn in games generally had a "G" "1" or "2" written in the neck tag.

tags with "X" , "O", or nothing written in the colar were generally backups.

keep in mind the school ordered tuns of extra jerseys during that time frame to sell to raise money for the football progam and to offer to players and their families to buy extras (they were very very popular when the first came out).

also keep in mind always buy the jersey and NOT the letter.

game worn miami jerseys should show a couple things from handeling miami jersey in the past.

1) hit marks on the shoulder area
2) loose threads around the colar (the threads always came lose when stretched around the shoulder pads) THIS WAS A BIG ONE
3) some smuding of the nike neck colar and running ink from the letter or number written on the tag.

i hope this helps.

great info, i knew about the markings on the jersey if game worn or not but couldnt really see through the pics, it looks like the tag has absolutely no markings

gamewornauthentics
09-08-2011, 03:51 PM
no problem happy to share the information.

you got to be the judge; but really the main thing to focus on is the pilling on the thread in the neck line even more than the markings on the tag for any future miami jerseys you will buy.

good luck in your search.