PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl IV J5V Football - Image Needed

cohibasmoker
09-05-2011, 11:11 AM
In Super Bowl IV, the Chiefs used a Spalding AFL J5V football while the Vikings used a Wilson "DUKE" football. This was the last time AFL and NFL team's used their own style of footballs in a game. In 1970, with the merger completed, all of the professional teams used a NFL block letter Wilson football.

My question is, does any member have a image from SB IV showing the Chiefs using a Spalding J5-V with PETE ROZELLE as Commissioner? If so, could the image be posted or sent to me at my personal email address?

I am trying to find-out if a Milt Woodward or Pete Rozelle football was used by the Chiefs.

Thanks,

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net

Dolphins23
09-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Not to be off topic, but what does the DUKE sig on ball stand for? And do all game balls have the home teams name inscripted on them? I don't know anything about game balls and would love to start plucking some out of the air for a good price. I really like the breast cancer ball on JO auctions right now.

P.S Thats awsome that you are getting a SB IV ball. Thats a classic right there!

cohibasmoker
09-05-2011, 06:57 PM
Not to be off topic, but what does the DUKE sig on ball stand for? And do all game balls have the home teams name inscripted on them? I don't know anything about game balls and would love to start plucking some out of the air for a good price. I really like the breast cancer ball on JO auctions right now.

P.S Thats awsome that you are getting a SB IV ball. Thats a classic right there!

The below link show help you out.

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/football/nfl/wilson-and-the-nfl/history/;jsessionid=C98EDB337821DE49FA5DEF6960BF1AB9

Just got conformation today that the Chiefs did in fact use Spalding J5-V footballs with Pete Rozelle on them in SB IV. The writings on the ball are very, very faint but on the panel shown (enhanced), it looks like Otis Taylor caught a pass from Len Dawson for ????? yards. The other panel is just too faint to read.

I will probably send the ball away to PSA to have them enhance the writing and photograph the panels.

Jim

flaaia@comcast.net

miracleonice80
09-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Hi.....If you watch the NFL Films' Super Bowl IV film (the one with Hank Stram wired), there is a close-up of a Spalding J5-V with Rozelle it while the officials are measuring a first down. It is pretty cool....I have no photos.....just gotta watch the film....hope it helps. Tony

miracleonice80
09-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Great SB IV ball, by the way!!!!!!! Look forward to seeing the PSA info on it.....

miracleonice80
09-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Hey...I messed with the photo you posted.....It looks like words like.....Otis Taylor....from Len Dawson....last AFL touchdown.....for ? yards....hope this helps.....

cohibasmoker
09-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Hey...I messed with the photo you posted.....It looks like words like.....Otis Taylor....from Len Dawson....last AFL touchdown.....for ? yards....hope this helps.....

Awesome - If we ever meet - consider the first few beers on me - appreciate it

Jim

PS - Can you shoot me an email?

flaa1a@comcast.net

miracleonice80
09-13-2011, 04:03 AM
Otis Taylor.....Made last touchdown ........on a pass from Len Dawson for 4? yards.......best I can make out after looking again......

ballhawknet
09-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Otis Taylor made last touchdown with this ball @ pass from
Len Dawson - 47 yards -

cohibasmoker
09-13-2011, 07:45 AM
To begin, thanks for photo help and the emails. I've attached 2 more scans - the scan on the left is a raw image while the other is an enhanced image. Looks like it reads;

Super Bowl Gameball 1970 - Kansas City Chiefs vs. Minnesota Vikings - KC 23 Vikings 7

Jim

flaa1a@comcast.net