PDA

View Full Version : Game Used Florida Gators helmet question

Preston
08-30-2011, 09:36 PM
Hey guys (and gals),

Got a couple questions on a potential game used Florida Gators helmet I'm considering buying...

Here are pics of it - it appears (to me) to match up w/ the style of helmet from this American Memorabilia Auctions helmet attributed to Brandon James. http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/Auction_Item.asp?Auction_ID=62352&c=%5CGame+Worn%2DUsed%5CFootball%5C&t=Closed&p=0&s=&offset=100

1. What's a "fair value" price to pay for this? The seller has quoted me $300. I think that's good but I own as many game used helmets as my grandmother does - zero.

2. Toward the bottom of the pictures in the auction is a 4-digit number written inside the helmet - the helmet I am considering buying ALSO has four numbers written in it - What exactly does the 4-digit number mean? And is there a way to attribute it to a specific player based off those numbers?

Thanks in advance!

Shipp_96
08-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Don't know much about Gator helmets, but the average Seahawks NFL game worn helmet, from their team shop go for $300 + taxes. So the price seems on par to me.

You can get cheaper game worn helmets (I used to get NAVY college game worn helmets at a nice price), but I also bought directly from the school.

Hope this helps to give you some point of reference :).

Blitzmaster
08-30-2011, 11:32 PM
I Personally wouldn't buy it. Pretty sure that Florida has an Exclusive deal with Riddell at other than a couple of DNA helmets(Schutt), every picture I have seen is players wearing Revolution and recently Spped helmetys. Also, Florida has used a Heavy Metallic paint on their helmets for about the past 5 years. The pic in the one you are considering is a Pro-gloss orange. Hope this helps, Chris

Blitzmaster
08-30-2011, 11:35 PM
not to mention, that helmet looks pretty clean for a college helmet! I recently purchased a Hawkeye helmet from the team store and it was completly destroyed. The helmet you are looking at shows NO wear.

BamaHater
08-30-2011, 11:43 PM
I was going to say the helmet might have been reconditioned but upon further inspection it look too new to for that. Looks like they might have picked up a retail authentic Gator helmet and added the proper decals. Not too hard to do.

Preston
08-30-2011, 11:51 PM
not to mention, that helmet looks pretty clean for a college helmet! I recently purchased a Hawkeye helmet from the team store and it was completly destroyed. The helmet you are looking at shows NO wear.

That was my other fear, not having much wear. That, and the decals. At best this looks like a game issued/ready helmet (or worn by the guy on the VERY end of the bench who the waterboy would play before) because it does have the numbers written inside (though I'm still unclear as to what they represent) but I think I may be passing on this helmet unless I get a better deal than I'm getting.

lakeerie92
08-31-2011, 12:58 AM
I can say with certainty that the helmet is your everyday helmet you can buy in stores. I know my Gators helmets and that isn't one. There are real, so close you can't tell and fake. That one is fake. I have put together a few that I sold as replicas (mostly the Pro Combat from 09 like in my avatar) and a metal flake orange Tebow replica. I can let you know where to buy a game used 2010 helmet, but they are $400. Email me if you are serious about buying one

no1ufgator
08-31-2011, 10:48 AM
agreed. not gu, just schutt replica and UF contracts with Riddell.

GoGators
10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
I'm a little late on the response but want to also confirm this helmet is not game worn or team issued. First and foremost, it should be metallic flake. Additionally, the Gators do not place the Florida decal on the back of helmets unless there is a bumper for it to go on.

You can purchase authentic game-worn helmets from the Official Gator Sportshop for $400 a pop. They make sure to remove any references to the player who wore them, though.

perlman9
10-20-2011, 09:10 AM
And if i recall, the one I got my son has the player's number on the back as well? I haven't looked at it in a while but I believe it has a sticker with the player's number