PDA

View Full Version : Extra-prompt MLB authentication

coxfan
08-27-2011, 10:33 AM
My wife and I were at last night's Angels-at Texas game in Arlington. I was able to buy a g-u ball from that game while still in progress ( They come to the stadium store by the 8th inning.) I was amazed to find this morning that the hologram was already in the system!

That was quite a change from a g-u ball I bought at their store last October, which didn't get into the system for 2.5 months. ( And then only because I'd e-mailed to inquire.)

I hope this is an improvement in their system of posting. The Rangers still have a fabulous selection of g-u items at the stadium. They had five post-season balls from 2010 ( Now four since I bought one.) They had lots of jerseys out for sale at three places in the stadium. I noted one that was authenticated as worn by Darren Oliver in Game 3 of the World Series ( priced $750). Various bats, also.

They also have a box of assorted g-u balls, all authenticated, for only $15. When we go there, we always allow lots of time for pre-game shopping!

kylehess10
08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
I noticed as well that MLB authentication is a lot faster this year. I bought some jerseys from the Braves that were holo'd to July 1st and they were in the system within a week. It's so much faster compared to last year.

frikativ54
08-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Wow - That's news to me. I bought my Jose Valverde hat about six weeks ago, and the number is still not in the system. Marc from the Tigers was in contact with MLB, and despite their promises, I still get a number not found notice every time I key it into the database. It drives me bonkers, because I'd like more details about my cap.

coxfan
08-30-2011, 10:02 AM
It may vary with the club. I've noticed even in prior years that Rangers' authentication is more detailed ( eg specifying the ball's specific use) than with some other clubs. I think each club gives instructions to its authenticators, who are local. I was told last year by a person with the Rangers Foundation that they'd worked with the authentication people to get their featured postseason balls into the system as quickly as possible; and it worked. Other g-u items that didn't get that kind of emphasis from the club were much longer delayed.

Another thing I noticed was that the Rangers are taking more balls out of play to be authenticated than before. The one I got was an Angel's single that could have stayed in play. In the past, it's been almost always just little fouls around the plate that are authenticated. The Rangers then send the balls that don't sell quickly in the store (mainly from Rangers' losses) to the Foundation without cubes where they're sold at half-price.

So maybe if authentication's still slow some places, we should e-mail the club as well as the authentication people to try to speed up their system.

frikativ54
08-30-2011, 02:15 PM
So maybe if authentication's still slow some places, we should e-mail the club as well as the authentication people to try to speed up their system.

Wow. My hat is finally in the system today! I can't explain how excited I am. :)

jake33
08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
Do they have any ALDS Rays vs, Rangers balls?

Are they authenticated to a specfic pitch or just the game in general?

BamaHater
08-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Bought a Los Astros jersey from the Astros Authentic Booth today and the authentication is in the database. The game was on Aug. 20th. Pretty quick.

coxfan
08-31-2011, 06:48 AM
jake33, they had four 2010 ALDS balls from Rays at Rangers, games 3 and 4. ( Both games won by the Rays.) They're priced at $100, at the Grand Slam store and the companion store across the corridor. ( Unfortunately I'm no longer in Texas so I can't help.) The Rangers authenticate for the specific pitch ( eg "pitched by pitcher X to batter Y, fouled, top 3rd").

You need to compare the authenticator's notation to the play-by-play on MLB.com, because they misuse terminology though the description is basically accurate. For example, they regularly misuse "foul tip" for anything fouled on the ground behind the batter. They said Andrus stole second on a pitch in the dirt; but the official scorer called it a wild pitch, not a steal. So they've got the idea and the play right, but need a course in baseball terms.

coxfan
08-31-2011, 07:10 AM
jake33, the Rangers' switchboard number, given in the 2010 media guide, is 817-273-5222. Their website's texasrangers.com, but most of their g-u stuff not listed there; it's mainly sold in their stadium stores only.