PDA

View Full Version : Willie Mays $695 for an auto on jersey?!?

Joeycola
08-24-2011, 11:17 AM
The November Chicago Suntimes Show - Willie Mays $695 for an autograph on a jersey. Seems extremely high... is this the norm for what he charges?

gingi79
08-24-2011, 02:47 PM
Yup, that's common for him now.

Willie is the last of that generation's top tier still living. Mantle, Dimaggio, Duke, Stan, all gone (I know I'm missing a few)

I have an 8x10 from Bonds company signed by Mays of "The Catch" which I gave my dad for one Fathers Day and it cost me like $100. It's framed and looks pretty classy next to my first generation M&N rookie Willie Mays NY Giants jersey. I was saddened to learn it's partner, a Mantle photo and matching rookie M&N jersey was a fake thanks to the selflessness of collector Sammy on this board. He was right about the DiMaggio I saw signed in person and Has been quite helpful in the past.

My advice would be to seek his advice on obtaining this item for much less through other channels.

both-teams-played-hard
08-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Yup, that's common for him now.

Willie is the last of that generation's top tier still living. Mantle, Dimaggio, Duke, Stan, all gone (I know I'm missing a few)

I didn't realize Stan Lopata had passed. RIP

Birdbats
08-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Stan the Man is still among the breathing. He's not in great health, but he's doing better than Teddy, Mickey and the Duke. And I think you have to include Mr. Aaron in the top tier.

both-teams-played-hard
08-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Stan the Man is still among the breathing. He's not in great health, but he's doing better than Teddy, Mickey and the Duke. And I think you have to include Mr. Aaron in the top tier.

In the very top.

godwulf
08-24-2011, 06:01 PM
It's just my opinion, of course, but as far as I'm concerned, there's top tier as a player, and then there's top tier as someone who treats fans fairly and generously, and represents the sport well in his interactions with them. Mays is certainly the former, but I've heard enough horror stories about how he treats his fans - even paying fans, at signings - to seriously question whether he can be considered the latter.

For years I've listened to people trying to justify players' rudeness, players' greed, and players' huge egos by pointing out how much money other people make off of their images and signatures and memorabilia, and I don't buy it. You can't not sign, unless you're paid ridiculous sums to do so, making your autograph so scarce that its value soars, and then justify charging $700 for a signature because "somebody else is going to turn around and sell it for more". It's a ridiculous, circular argument.

gingi79
08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
I was thinking Teddy Ballgame when I typed Stan the Man. Mea Culpa.

Mays taught his godson exactly how worthless fans are and how to treat them as poorly as possible. I was glad to get the photo signed without meeting him as I didn't want to ruin my fathers youthful memories. Let him remember Mays for his ability rather than his personality.

And not to steer the thread totally off base and offend people but I don't think Aaron is a top tier player like Mick, Duke or Ted.

A) I am a Braves fan.
B) He is the HR champ in my opinion.
C) I love him as a person and respect him as a player

BUT

He is a stat compiler, a good but not amazing player and was lucky enough to be healthy and consistently good but not great for more years than nearly any player, ever. Much like guys with 20 plus seasons hitting .260 with 250 hrs and 1500 rbi's don't belong in the HOF just because their genetic luck and work outs got them to 3000 hits. Never being the best player (or even consistent top 3) in your league let alone the sport at your position seems to be overlooked as long as you have the magic number of hits. Aaron got in the Hall because of one number which means he was good but certainly not (in my opinion) a Ted Williams or a Willie Mays. Frankly, I can rattle off 50 outfielders in MLB history who I would pick in their prime before Hank.

Joeycola
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
I think I'll pass on the Mays jersey... although my 500 hr bat needs a Mays autograph... I'll keep my fingers crossed that he's some-what a nice guy!!

godwulf
08-24-2011, 11:25 PM
Mays taught his godson exactly how worthless fans are and how to treat them as poorly as possible.

From what I've read, the whole "godson" thing is pretty much overblown, Bonds being something like six years old before Mays ever saw him or became his "godfather". At any rate, from what I've also read, Bobby Bonds certainly did his share in poisoning his son's mind in any number of ways.

camarokids
08-24-2011, 11:43 PM
BUT

He is a stat compiler, a good but not amazing player and was lucky enough to be healthy and consistently good but not great for more years than nearly any player, ever. Much like guys with 20 plus seasons hitting .260 with 250 hrs and 1500 rbi's don't belong in the HOF just because their genetic luck and work outs got them to 3000 hits. Never being the best player (or even consistent top 3) in your league let alone the sport at your position seems to be overlooked as long as you have the magic number of hits. Aaron got in the Hall because of one number which means he was good but certainly not (in my opinion) a Ted Williams or a Willie Mays. Frankly, I can rattle off 50 outfielders in MLB history who I would pick in their prime before Hank.

Aaron has a lifetime batting average of .305 for 23 seasons. Hit over .300 14 seasons. Hit .292, .298 and .287 in three other seasons. Hit over 30 or more HR's in 15 seasons. 40 or HR's in 8 seasons!

Went 20 for 55 .364 batting avg. in the two World Series he played in!!!

What hurt Hank was playing on a crappy team most of his career.

trsent
08-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Willie Mays only makes public autograph appearances for top dollar and people pay it to spend a few seconds with their hero. High priced? Sure, but there isn't any other options if you want to witness Willie sign anymore.

Remember when Bonds and A-Rod signed for $1100.00 the pair a few years ago? Willie Mays is a bargain versus those prices and he will never have a controversy about using questionable drugs.

frikativ54
08-25-2011, 10:20 AM
For years I've listened to people trying to justify players' rudeness, players' greed, and players' huge egos by pointing out how much money other people make off of their images and signatures and memorabilia, and I don't buy it. You can't not sign, unless you're paid ridiculous sums to do so, making your autograph so scarce that its value soars, and then justify charging $700 for a signature because "somebody else is going to turn around and sell it for more". It's a ridiculous, circular argument.

I couldn't agree with you more. There is no justification for players' entitled attitudes, which so poison professional sports. You wonder how much is enough for some of these guys. $695 for scribbling one's name on a jersey?!?! :eek: That's pretty crazy. I wouldn't pay a sixth of that for Mays's John Hancock.

And sadly, the fans have bought in - if people are willing to fork over the money, Mays can continue to charge the fee. For that price, you can get a couple of pairs of a star player's spikes, several hats, or even a piece of original art. That's why I refuse to patronize people like Mays.

A good example of greed is that through TriStar, Randy Johnson wanted $175 per photograph with a fan. If someone is going to charge me that much, I expect CD copies of the photo(s), professional-quality lighting, and as many photos as it takes to get a keeper. TriStar hardly does any of these things.

frikativ54
08-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Remember when Bonds and A-Rod signed for $1100.00 the pair a few years ago? Willie Mays is a bargain versus those prices and he will never have a controversy about using questionable drugs.

That doesn't make Mays any less of a jerk, if Bonds and A-Rod are more greedy. To tell the truth, I wouldn't pay more than $65 for any of their autographs. And that's on a day where I'm feeling generous.

However, I would take a nice guy who used performance enhancing drugs over a complete jerk who can't even treat the fans well. Honestly, I don't care what the players do, so long as they are humane toward those who ultimately pay their salaries, namely the fans.

frikativ54
08-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Willie Mays only makes public autograph appearances for top dollar and people pay it to spend a few seconds with their hero. High priced? Sure, but there isn't any other options if you want to witness Willie sign anymore.

And judging by the ambiance of these shows, you aren't going to be spending a few seconds with your hero. He will scribble his name and then have security bark you away for being a threat, if you try to ask for an inscription or a photograph. I know from experience.

coxfan
08-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Aaron not only hit .305 lifetime despite playing to an advanced age, he is also third all time in base hits. ( Behind the singles hitters Rose and Cobb). Even if you subtract all his HR's he still had over 3000 hits. He also leads all time in total bases, ahead of Musial who was the former leader. He's one of the top five in runs scored, I believe, as well as # 1 in RBI's.

It's not luck but talent that extends a major-league career. Aaron was simply a better player at a certain age than others at that same age. Ruth was no longer a major-league caliber player at the age Aaron was still a star.
I agree that Ted Williams needs consideration for the best, given his years of military service. He would have hit around 700 HR's otherwise.

What hurt Aaron was:

1) He wasn't a Yankee, or another New York player. If he had been, he'd be treated like an unquestioned demigod.

2) He spoke out against the vicious racism of the time. He had much personal experience from being one of the first blacks in the South Atlantic League. When approaching the HR record, his daughter had to be placed under special protection because of a kidnapping plot, and he and his family received almost daily death threats. Neither Ruth, Williams, or Musial had to deal with that.

trsent
08-26-2011, 05:22 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. There is no justification for players' entitled attitudes, which so poison professional sports. You wonder how much is enough for some of these guys. $695 for scribbling one's name on a jersey?!?! :eek: That's pretty crazy. I wouldn't pay a sixth of that for Mays's John Hancock.

And sadly, the fans have bought in - if people are willing to fork over the money, Mays can continue to charge the fee. For that price, you can get a couple of pairs of a star player's spikes, several hats, or even a piece of original art. That's why I refuse to patronize people like Mays.

A good example of greed is that through TriStar, Randy Johnson wanted $175 per photograph with a fan. If someone is going to charge me that much, I expect CD copies of the photo(s), professional-quality lighting, and as many photos as it takes to get a keeper. TriStar hardly does any of these things.

That doesn't make Mays any less of a jerk, if Bonds and A-Rod are more greedy. To tell the truth, I wouldn't pay more than $65 for any of their autographs. And that's on a day where I'm feeling generous.

However, I would take a nice guy who used performance enhancing drugs over a complete jerk who can't even treat the fans well. Honestly, I don't care what the players do, so long as they are humane toward those who ultimately pay their salaries, namely the fans.

And judging by the ambiance of these shows, you aren't going to be spending a few seconds with your hero. He will scribble his name and then have security bark you away for being a threat, if you try to ask for an inscription or a photograph. I know from experience.

Les, I am sorry, but it doesn't matter if you feel a player's signature is only worth $65.00 to you. Willie Mays' marketing people feel they can charge $695.00 retail for him to sign a jersey, people will pay it and Willie Mays doesn't care what you or I think about it.

Who is a jerk? Who cares. That has nothing to do with it.

Too many threads on this forum are people complaining about a high price for an item on eBay they feel is worth only a fraction of the final price or one like that complaining about a player charging a lot for their autograph.

If people don't want to pay it, great, but why do people feel a need to let everyone know why they think Willie Mays' autograph is only worth $65.00 to them? Michael Jordan has been hundreds of dollars per signature from Upper Deck Authenticated since the early 1990's. Willie Mays and his people can determine any price they want, and if they don't sell autographs they can either lower the price or sit on Willie's endorsement checks from Topps or whoever is paying him these days.

So, my view is simple, if you don't like the price, don't pay it, but complaining about it is a waste of time. If you walk into the store and a television you want is $7000.00 do you go to a forum and complain that you feel it should only be $1150.00? Same thing, if you don't like the price don't waste our time complaining about it.

Spend you money elsewhere.

BU54CB
08-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Les, I am sorry, but it doesn't matter if you feel a player's signature is only worth $65.00 to you. Willie Mays' marketing people feel they can charge $695.00 retail for him to sign a jersey, people will pay it and Willie Mays doesn't care what you or I think about it.

Who is a jerk? Who cares. That has nothing to do with it.

Too many threads on this forum are people complaining about a high price for an item on eBay they feel is worth only a fraction of the final price or one like that complaining about a player charging a lot for their autograph.

If people don't want to pay it, great, but why do people feel a need to let everyone know why they think Willie Mays' autograph is only worth $65.00 to them? Michael Jordan has been hundreds of dollars per signature from Upper Deck Authenticated since the early 1990's. Willie Mays and his people can determine any price they want, and if they don't sell autographs they can either lower the price or sit on Willie's endorsement checks from Topps or whoever is paying him these days.

So, my view is simple, if you don't like the price, don't pay it, but complaining about it is a waste of time. If you walk into the store and a television you want is $7000.00 do you go to a forum and complain that you feel it should only be $1150.00? Same thing, if you don't like the price don't waste our time complaining about it.

Spend you money elsewhere.

I don't get it, I thought part of the reason this forum existed is to discuss the hobby? Its entirely within people's right to complain during a discussion if they want.

I think what Mays charges for his signature is ridiculous, but its his signature and he can charge what he wants for it. It seems to me that people have the biggest problem with Mays' attitude when he signs. If he's going to be a complete ...hole when he signs, then Mays shouldn't do public signings. I've witnessed his antics during shows, completely inappropriate.

frikativ54 was merely expressing his or her opinion, which you have summarily dismissed. A bit hypocritical don't you think, especially when you close the post with your own opinion, which you seem to think pretty highly of.

vonbrandingo
08-26-2011, 01:02 PM
I met Willie Mays when he signed at the San Francisco Tristar show in May. Got his 1951 Bowman card signed and paid $300 for it without hesitation. My girlfriend and I were saddened by his overall condition but I guess it shouldn't be a surprise at his age. He was likeable to us and I've seen no evidence of him being a jerk to his fans. My girlfriend videotaped him sign the card and our interaction and it is a great clip of a moment that I won't forget.

BTW, I see no problem with him charging 600 or more to sign a game used bat or jersey or other high value items. If you're going to pay that much for his auto, put it on something that will increase the value by more than $600. In my opinion, his auto on a gamer or his rookie card does that.

mbrieve
08-26-2011, 01:04 PM
These show prices are more about the experience of meeting him and seeing your item signed in front of you. If you are simply looking for the best deal on a Willie Mays autograph, there are a ton on the market and most with with Say Hey Authentication and often with PSA/DNA as well. The "catch" photo in 8x10 or 16x20 can be had all day from $80-$120. Baseballs signed in blue lumocolor are available in the $99 range. And I just found this deal for a signed jersey with Say Hey authentication for $259 delivered:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=4q7pdbbab&v=001BrgDgGpztzfRkdEcZYXdWtR8rMgRw9paMkFeMH6nrfB_-sPVXCH5jqv0scLYxwToOpQt326yiv3nzrx5rkQLUipUCHTjyeU Lj2kpZKlrDtc%3D

Again, you are paying for the experience of meeting him and getting your item signed.

MJB14
08-26-2011, 01:57 PM
I had Mays sign for me last year at the National. I found an old 11x14 pic of him and Jim Rice together, the only one I've ever seen of them 2 together, that I wanted to get signed by both for my dad. Mays was his favorite player growing up and Rice was mine so I figured I'd pay the $300 since I don't know how many opportunities to get Mays to sign there are going to be left based on his age. Other than the line moving at a slow pace based on his eyesight not being good , I had no problem nor did I notice anyone else have any problems with Mays. In fact he signed a full size batting helmet for one guy that I guess he messed up the sig (smear or something) and he actually had the guy come back and re-did the auto for him and then asked him if that one was ok. While he wasn't overly chatty with the customers he did shake everyone's hand that extended their hand to him. So overall I have no complaints for the fact that I got to meet IMO the greatest all around player ever and obtain a signed photo that I can pass down to my son one day that portrays the baseball heroes of both his dad and grandpa.

Also, according to the guys working the lines for Tri-Star they said they had over 200 tickets sold for Mays. Most people had 16x20s or larger flats, bats, and balls to get signed. Few had the smaller flats, helmets and jerseys. Based on his pricing:

Flats Up to & Including 11x14, Baseballs $300
Flats Larger than 11x14 $350
Caps or Equipment other than H Webb Gloves, Bats or Jerseys $370
H Webb Gloves, Regular Bats $500
Jerseys, Jersey Numbers $700
Specialty Bats: Includes Louisville Slugger, Hillerich & Bradsby or Adirondack Bats $800

With 2 out of the 3 top sellers (not to mention all the people who paid the extra $ for inscriptions) being the higher priced to get signed I'd say there are quite a few people out there who have no problem paying those prices. Like mbrieve said, it's as much about getting to physically meet Mays as it is the auto itself.