PDA

View Full Version : To The Vulcan Who Banned Alberto

otismalibu
08-21-2011, 07:44 AM
I really don't know how anyone could miss the fact that Alberto was clearly joking when he stated that his warmup was now for sale at the same price that the GFC auction ended at. Maybe you just don't have a sense of humor. Maybe you had a bad experience at Olive Garden.

The Admins on a game used forum should know better than anyone that if you don't do your research first, you could end up looking foolish.

I realize basketball lags behind baseball and football on this board, so maybe only a few of us are familiar with Alberto and his collection. So, in an attempt to educate...

Alberto is a collector in the purest sense. He has an amazing basketball collection that is massive. He's taken the time to photograph every item and construct a website to share it. He doesn't have items boxed in his basement, but rather takes the collection on tour.

I've not ONCE seen Alberto offer an item for sale on this forum or anywhere else. I've asked and so have many others. Always the same response - not for sale. He doesn't buy and flip like so many on this board. If he asks for help finding photo it's because he's legitimately researching an item, not because he wants to use the photo in his eBay auction. There are no prices on his website. There are no items marked SOLD.

There is no such thing as impeccable sources in this hobby, but there are still a handful of people in the hobby with impeccable character. Alberto is on that list.

Ban the crooks. Don't ban a respected collector, simply because you missed the joke.

both-teams-played-hard
08-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Before I make a comment, I need to know the facts. Was Alberto banned? If so, why?

otismalibu
08-21-2011, 02:43 PM
I think the original thread was deleted. Alberto was comparing the patch placement on one of his pieces, with one that had sold at an auction house. The warmup sold at auction had the patch in a different location than his.

There were also some game images posted that showed a patch location comparable to Alberto's jersey.

He then jokingly posted that his item was for sale for the same price the auction realized, less buyer's premium. It seemed painfully obvious that his sale comment was in jest.

Humor...it's not for everyone.

Canseco44
08-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Was this the only reason he was banned?! I read the post and thought nothing of it. I took it as humor and was grateful for him pointing it out. I wonder if a moderator could comment on this ban. I've always wished that when someone was banned, there would be a thread started on it by the moderators on why they were banned. I know it's there decision and I respect that, but it would be nice to know. I don't visit the forum everyday, so sometimes I come on here after a few days away, and someone is just gone!

Dewey2007
08-21-2011, 03:10 PM
I completely agree with all of the OP's original comments about Alberto/LEGEND 33. Alberto is a respected collector who should have been given the benefit of the doubt. As far as I know, he has never attacked anyone on this forum, tried to sell bogus items, cheated anyone out of their money, etc. All he does is enjoy collecting basketball memorabilia and sharing his passion with the rest of the forum. I've never met him personally but have exchanged e-mails with him as recent as yesterday and he's as nice as they come.

I could see GFC possibly banning him from bidding in their auctions for his comments but not from GUU. I hope the moderators can offer up their rationale for this one...Not trying to sound overly dramatic but GUU is a little bit lesser of a place today then it was yesterday.

ChrisCavalier
08-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I think the original thread was deleted. Alberto was comparing the patch placement on one of his pieces, with one that had sold at an auction house. The warmup sold at auction had the patch in a different location than his.

Actually, his original post was deleted because of the comment that his item was for sale for the same price as the one that sold in Grey Flannel, without the buyer's premium. He reposted without the comment (it was left up at that point) and then made the same comment again later in the thread that his item was for sale at the same price as Grey Flannel, without the buyer's premium. While it may have been in jest, it didn't seem that way given the comment had already been deleted.

We deleted the post the second time and issued a short suspension for the rule violation. The system does not show 'suspension' so it reads as 'banned' even though it was temporary. An email was also sent to Alberto to explain this immediately after the action was taken.

Ironcially, this reminds me almost exactly of the time I was in my car with a bunch of friends. We were sitting at a red light with a police officer right behind us. I thought it would be funny to run the red light right in front of the officer and that my friends would get a kick out of the irony of doing it right in front of him. I couldn't believe it when the officer pulled me over and gave me a ticket. I told the officer I was only joking but, unbelievably, he gave me the ticket anyway. I guess he thought rules were there for a reason.

Btw, Alberto's suspension will end in a few days.

-Chris

otismalibu
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
My mistake. I typed banned instead of suspended. I knew it was a suspension, but Alberto's email stated "banned for a week" so I guess I just had the incorrect term in my head.

Dewey2007
08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
Greg, after reading your post I looked Alberto up on the members list and it had "Banned" under his name so I assumed the worst. I didn't know that GUU issued temporary suspensions.

In NBA terms I guess we can say that Alberto left the bench during a fight!!

My mistake. I typed banned instead of suspended. I knew it was a suspension, but Alberto's email stated "banned for a week" so I guess I just had the incorrect term in my head.

Canseco44
08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Thanks Chris for posting the whole story and explanation. Funny story about the cop and the red light. Sounds a lot like the story of the cop and me in my 69 camaro. We were at a red-light side by side and he revved his car up and was acting like he wanted to race. Of course the light turns green and I pull the front tires off of the ground. He immediately pulls me over! Lol. Gave me a warning and had a laugh with me. Man I miss the old days!

both-teams-played-hard
08-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Ironcially, this reminds me almost exactly of the time I was in my car with a bunch of friends. We were sitting at a red light with a police officer right behind us. I thought it would be funny to run the red light right in front of the officer and that my friends would get a kick out of the irony of doing it right in front of him. I couldn't believe it when the officer pulled me over and gave me a ticket. I told the officer I was only joking but, unbelievably, he gave me the ticket anyway. I guess he thought rules were there for a reason.

I find this very hard to believe. So we are to believe that Chris Cavalier has a bunch of friends. Yes, Chris. That is an ironic story dripping with irony. :)
I inserted the smiley face to show that I was just joking. Please don't throw me in the briar patch or suspend/ban me for my weak attempt at humor.

otismalibu
08-21-2011, 07:31 PM
Ya know what I think is funny?

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb110/otismalibu/Legend33.jpg

ChrisCavalier
08-21-2011, 07:41 PM
I find this very hard to believe. So we are to believe that Chris Cavalier has a bunch of friends. Yes, Chris. That is an ironic story dripping with irony. :)
Actually, you are probably right that the hardest thing to believe about that story is that I, at one time, had a bunch of friends. In fact, I thought your comment was so funny I called all my current friends to take a look at your post. Unfortunately, he wasn't home when I called :o

-Chris

ChrisCavalier
08-22-2011, 11:57 AM
As follow-up to this thread, Alberto's suspension has ended and we have emailed him to let him know he is free to post.

Thanks to everyone who participated on this thread.

Sincerely,
Chris

LEGEND33
08-23-2011, 02:18 PM
Hello everybody ! My suspension ended today.
I try to see the positive effects:

1-How many friends :) :) :) :) :)

2- I must be more serious :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

But i want you to know that i was so angry :mad: :mad: :mad: for the suspension that i unstitched the patch from the lower part of the jacket and i re-sewed it on the left sleeve so it is ready for the next GF auction.

True..not true...you know me better now

Alberto (Italy)

solarlottry
08-24-2011, 01:23 PM
I am glad Alberto was reinstated! I think his original post just goes to show how doing ones homework can save thousands of $$$. Not saying that the GF warmup is not authentic but by looking at Getty It would seem that the warmup with the patch on the arm was worn more often than any other. One would have to watch every game from the season that the warmup was worn to rule out the GF patch placement.

This hobby is an expensive risky one at times and sadly so. Many of these risks can be avoided by linking up with fellow collectors and experts and by doing extensive research. I am never afraid to call an auction house and ask questions and if I get a vague, evasive answer then the question itself is answered!

Alberto has a great collection and is a wonderful resource for BB collectors. He should be applauded not banned, although i do see why he was suspended.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ANY 1994 shirt. Paying a nice finders fee!
Paul
garciajones@yahoo.com