PDA

View Full Version : JO/Meigray and their contracts

mmonte4
08-16-2011, 12:28 AM
I feel this topic deserves its own thread...

Does anyone have insight into the details of the contracts JO and Meigray make with teams? How do they work? Do they agree to give 50% of sales to the team? Do they agree to give them a lump sum? Do they agree to buy every jersey for $500? What is in it for a team that enters into a contract with with these companies?

Meigray appears to go a step further and is endorsed by the NBA - their auction is actually linked to the nba.com website. I've always been curious about the particulars of this arrangement.

Neely8
08-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Although I'm curious too, I doubt you'll be able to obtain the specific details regarding those company's contractual agreements.

mmonte4
08-16-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm sure someone has some insight. Multiple companies are doing this so it can't be a huge secret as to the general arrangement.

Dolphins23
08-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Although I'm curious too, I doubt you'll be able to obtain the specific details regarding those company's contractual agreements.

We don't want there exact contrat structured agreements. We just want a bases of knowledge as to what exactly they do to obtain the contract. It's head scratching to me and a lot of other members on this board. What kind of loans did JO sports have to take out to breach agreement with professional sports teams GWM? It's really cool that teams gave into the JO business to begin with. I guess there marketing strategies are appealing to the NFL. Why would a multi-billion dollar industry (we're talking the number one watched sport in the nation) do business with a small time collectables business like JO, Stiener, Meigray, ex.... It's quite fond and interesting to try to find further detail with regards to it all if you ask me. But thats just my opinion.

It maybe gives hope to youngsters out there who want to make there hobby there dream (get paid doing what they love to do) collect jerseys for persons collections and put smiles on persons faces. Whats good about JO and all the sites even NFL auction is your totally safe buying from them and avoiding fake counterfits at all costs. But at what price? Now thats totally up to the collector.

I will mention that JO sports is a little overpriced. I saw them selling a Joey Porter Dolphins jersey with captains patch worn for 2 games with heavy game use and mud stains for 1300. I saw the same jersey hit ebay for 600$. The auction was listed by JO because they coudln't get 1300 and didn't want to sit on it. I feel like they tend to do this a lot. Can they result to eBay due to over stock? Or are these fakers stealing pictures off of there website?

BarryMeisel
08-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Hi everybody,

Out of respect for this Forum and the open communication that I steadfastly believe in, I did not want to make believe I did not see this thread, or simply ignore it.

MeiGray does not discuss or comment on any financial aspects of its business deals. As a private company, that is private information which is oftimes also contractually confidential information.

Respectfully,

Barry

weasel49er
08-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Ive always been a little curious about this stuff myself. its purely speculation but i ive just been under the assumption that certain companies offer a lump sum for a predetermined amount of jerseys which are split by tiers and sent out by the teams equipment manager at their discretion. It seems that they also have the abilty to purchase specific game jerseys when needed for customers which often command a higher premium cost. I could very well be completely wrong, thats why this thread is very interesting to me. I know financial specifics are off limits but any insight would be very cool to know. Thanks

mad87man
08-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Ive always been a little curious about this stuff myself. its purely speculation but i ive just been under the assumption that certain companies offer a lump sum for a predetermined amount of jerseys which are split by tiers and sent out by the teams equipment manager at their discretion. It seems that they also have the abilty to purchase specific game jerseys when needed for customers which often command a higher premium cost. I could very well be completely wrong, thats why this thread is very interesting to me. I know financial specifics are off limits but any insight would be very cool to know. Thanks
If i had to guess i would think that is what it is or close to how it works. I mean i am sure it is a lot more detailed and stuff but that is the basics of it. To the NFL team every jersey is the same to them, just a shirt. Now to the collector the better players are more in demand. SO i would think a lump sum would work well for both NFL and company FIgure you get 20 jerseys for 20,000$. They take the top 5 jerseys sell them at 4 grand each. That makes up your cost. Sell the lower tier guys that is your profit. I honestly have no idea and i am sure only JO Sports and Meigray know but it is interesting to think about and how someone would do it if it was them or try to do it.

I also don't think JO Sports or Meigrey is going to reveal their secrets for 2 reasons. 1 being they don't want that information leaked, 2 it might breach their contracts with the team.

mmonte4
08-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Hi everybody,

Out of respect for this Forum and the open communication that I steadfastly believe in, I did not want to make believe I did not see this thread, or simply ignore it.

MeiGray does not discuss or comment on any financial aspects of its business deals. As a private company, that is private information which is oftimes also contractually confidential information.

Respectfully,

Barry

Barry, welcome to the discussion!
I had hoped that you would give us something. I understand this is private information, but you can give away a little bit without mentioning specifics that would violate your contracts. What is in it for the team? I have to assume they are compensated in some way. How are they compensated (we aren't interested at all in the numbers, just the "how")?

Dolphins23
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Makes sence but I thought players got a certain revenue prospect from there own jersey sales. Dosn't this play into the Chad Johnson effect or (CJE) where the player had a name change and had to buy out every one of his jerseys before he could obtain ochocinco on the back of his shirt. Now what if Migray or JO took lets say 12 Johnson gamers (this is an example not factual numbers) would he have to buy them all from JO sports? or would he have to pay the team a certain amount since they have a contract with JO sports?

This is a whole different topic on itself, but it relates and I'm curious as to what would happen as far as the (CJE)

mad87man
08-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Makes sence but I thought players got a certain revenue prospect from there own jersey sales. Dosn't this play into the Chad Johnson effect or (CJE) where the player had a name change and had to buy out every one of his jerseys before he could obtain ochocinco on the back of his shirt. Now what if Migray or JO took lets say 12 Johnson gamers (this is an example not factual numbers) would he have to buy them all from JO sports? or would he have to pay the team a certain amount since they have a contract with JO sports?

This is a whole different topic on itself, but it relates and I'm curious as to what would happen as far as the (CJE)

I don't think this qualifies as much b/c that was retail jerseys. I don't think this has to do with that.

BarryMeisel
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi Mmonte4,

Based on my response that we don't discuss any aspect of our financial dealings, I don't understand your question, "How are they compensated?"

I don't want to sound disrespectful, but you are asking me for private information I cannot and will not discuss.

If I am misunderstanding your question, I apologize. But how can I answer that without disclosing information I cannot and will not disclose?

Barry

Jules9
08-16-2011, 01:53 PM

I think he had to buy the retail jerseys from Reebok, not the game jerseys. I believe the game jerseys are the property of the team.

Dolphins23
08-16-2011, 01:55 PM
to clear this up for the dealers that are coming in here.

We don't want your exact details. Just a bases answer of how you go about getting a contract with a team. Why do they want you when the NFL is a billion dollar industry that can auction them off themselves?

Its scary how the owners of these sports stores are stearing around the answer lol its a little shady if you ask me.

WadeInBmore
08-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Its scary how the owners of these sports stores are stearing around the answer lol its a little shady if you ask me.

Um...not shady but savy. Why would ANY business want to disclose bottomline and overhead expense with their potential clients?! Barry was nice enough to chime in and politely say, no can do. Let it be.

wade

mmonte4
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Um...not shady but savy. Why would ANY business want to disclose bottomline and overhead expense with their potential clients?! Barry was nice enough to chime in and politely say, no can do. Let it be.

wade

No one is asking for bottomline, overhead, or any specifics for that matter. We just want to know how the teams are compensated. Is it a lump sum, a % of sales, etc? What is the general arrangement?

Dolphins23
08-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Mmonte its an inside thing, there not going to tell the die hard fans and jersey collectors who keep them in business anything. So I'm over it.

P.S I will continue to buy from them, but it would have been cool to find out why them?

freddiefreeman5
08-16-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't care who gets the contracts to sell a teams merchandise as long as
I am happy with their service and prices.

BarryMeisel
08-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Dolphins,

I think I can answer why they want us ... and I use this analogy often ...

Anyone can paint his or her own home, probably for less money than a painter will charge. But many people hire painters because they value the expertise a professional painter brings. And some people know if they climb a ladder to paint, they might break an ankle.

As many collectors on this Forum have said numerous times, teams are not experts in the field of game-worn authentication of memorabilia. Some teams are shrewd enough to let experts, who understand the needs and desires of clients like you, who pay good money for these items, do the work in this highly selective marketplace.

Hope this explains,

Barry

jhunt28
08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
I hope this post isn't taken the wrong way by the people asking all of these questions...

but what does it matter how JO Sports Co./MEIGREY/STEINER etc... obtain their business contracts with other teams? Just know that all parties benefit from the transaction, or else it wouldn't be happening. These companies do a ton of legwork as far as negotiating, networking, building client bases, and closing deals. You will pay a premium fee to get their product because you know that it's 100% legit. I think it's foolish to ask them to divulge their business models to the public. Your time is probably better spent asking Colonel Sanders for his secret recipe.

BU54CB
08-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Mmonte its an inside thing, there not going to tell the die hard fans and jersey collectors who keep them in business anything. So I'm over it.

P.S I will continue to buy from them, but it would have been cool to find out why them?

Why is it an inside thing when a company doesn't share the way they obtain their business? They work hard for that business and aren't going to give away the process and the way they make money to anyone.

I'd venture to say that the NFL does not want to police nor regulate what the teams do with their jerseys as the jerseys/equipment are property of the team. Sure, they auction off jerseys on the NFL site for various causes, but I'm sure its up to the team to give those jerseys to the NFL.

BU54CB
08-16-2011, 03:21 PM
I hope this post isn't taken the wrong way by the people asking all of these questions...

but what does it matter how JO Sports Co./MEIGREY/STEINER etc... obtain their business contracts with other teams? Just know that all parties benefit from the transaction, or else it wouldn't be happening. These companies do a ton of legwork as far as negotiating, networking, building client bases, and closing deals. You will pay a premium fee to get their product because you know that it's 100% legit. I think it's foolish to ask them to divulge their business models to the public. Your time is probably better spent asking Colonel Sanders for his secret recipe.

Well said

Dolphins23
08-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Dolphins,

I think I can answer why they want us ... and I use this analogy often ...

Anyone can paint his or her own home, probably for less money than a painter will charge. But many people hire painters because they value the expertise a professional painter brings. And some people know if they climb a ladder to paint, they might break an ankle.

As many collectors on this Forum have said numerous times, teams are not experts in the field of game-worn authentication of memorabilia. Some teams are shrewd enough to let experts, who understand the needs and desires of clients like you, who pay good money for these items, do the work in this highly selective marketplace.

Hope this explains,

Barry

Yeah makes sence. There a billion dollar industry and they bank on the success of business that sell there GUM. So I see where there coming from for makin contracts with these sports memorabilia companies. They are the experts. I like the NFL auction concept though, so I hope they still continue to post up cool phins gear. We'll just have to wait and see what happens with JO and NFL auctions. I'm sure JO will have plenty of jerseys I'm interested in for a good price.

P.S who gets preseason jerseys?

Dolphins23
08-16-2011, 03:44 PM

I already obtained sanders secret chicken recipe. I just don't find it good enough to exploit it to other companys. I prefer Pop-eyes. Just like I prefer NFL auctions over Stiener.

J.O could be an easy front runner though, just because I like how they run things over there. And the staff is really cool as well.

mad87man
08-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Why is it an inside thing when a company doesn't share the way they obtain their business? They work hard for that business and aren't going to give away the process and the way they make money to anyone.

I'd venture to say that the NFL does not want to police nor regulate what the teams do with their jerseys as the jerseys/equipment are property of the team. Sure, they auction off jerseys on the NFL site for various causes, but I'm sure its up to the team to give those jerseys to the NFL.

I'm sure the NFL can over ride much of the stuff. If they say i want the jerseys from the super bowl they are 99.9% chance they are getting them. They might not get them all but they will get the ones they want.

Dolphins23
08-16-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm sure the NFL can over ride much of the stuff. If they say i want the jerseys from the super bowl they are 99.9% chance they are getting them. They might not get them all but they will get the ones they want.

Who gets the pre season jerseys? Can I obtain them? The reason I ask is because I want a Patty Devlin jersey but doubt hel even be in the NFL when the regualr season starts. I'm hopeing he is but you never know. The dolphins only keep 3 QB's and its Henne, Moore, and Devlin or O'connell. I always found pre-season worn jerseys to be a good buy for the price. They don't play in games long and the ones that do are rookies or 3rd stringers who may never get a taste of the NFL, maybe practice squad at best.

as for superbowl jerseys do those even hit the market? I thought players kept there super bowl jerseys to frame in there multi million dollar homes. The only super bowl jersey I've ever seen hit the market was the Marshall Faulk player issued and it was around 10K easily. He never actually wore it in the game vs patriots. Its funny because the market for Marshall Faulks jersey is so low! before he hit the hall of fame I would see his authentic jerseys sell for 30-50$. I think its just the Rams jersey that no one likes because the've been bad for so long just like my Dolphins. But people think the Dolphins jersey is one of the best looking in NFL so the market for phins jerseys is super super high. and they sell out very quickly!

JO sports can you get me a Devlin pre-season worn jersey vs falcons? I will paypal you 300$ right now!

josportsco
08-16-2011, 08:28 PM
LOL I am working on a Pat Devlin for you now but it will not be $300!! It could be close though. Guys if you have needs you should email the needs to us so we can start the search for you and build the relationship. Why post a needs list on this thread/forum. Just call or email and we will try to help. Keep the threads on the subject. Although this subject is actually DEAD and Barry spoke for JO as well. Hope to hear from everyone soon.

JO

dcgreg25
08-17-2011, 08:20 AM
This thread has long since run its course and wandered far from its original topic so I am going to go ahead and lock it.