PDA

View Full Version : Call Me Crazy!!

Number13
08-14-2011, 01:11 AM
I've learned that there are endless GU items with the #13. So I started thinking about trying to be a bit more specific. One idea that I am debating is to try and collect a #13 jersey from every current Minor League team. Looking at the list of about 170 teams, I have some work cut out for me. If I took this one on, it would probably take me a while, just because of all the searching and communications with most of the teams. I know there are a few out here on the forum, but I might need a lot of help on this one. I wish I had enough cash to just tell people that if you come across one of your local teams jerseys snap it up and I'd buy it. But, I have to be realistic. I don't have the cash flow I want to have for this hobby right now.

So, I'm not sure about this idea, but I think it would be a lot of fun.

Thoughts?

sox83cubs84
08-14-2011, 01:28 PM
That's an awful lot to chew on in one bite. My suggestion, FWIW, is to pursue a smaller "set" first, and then expand. For instance, a #13 from each MLB team, or #13s from your favorite team and their farm clubs. Starting too big often leads to discouragement t some point. Sip your collecting Slurpee slowly, and avoid brain freeze by trying to gulp it down.

Dave Miedema

Number13
08-14-2011, 01:40 PM
That's an awful lot to chew on in one bite. My suggestion, FWIW, is to pursue a smaller "set" first, and then expand. For instance, a #13 from each MLB team, or #13s from your favorite team and their farm clubs. Starting too big often leads to discouragement t some point. Sip your collecting Slurpee slowly, and avoid brain freeze by trying to gulp it down.

That is a really good point. I've tried to take big bites before in life and it usually doesn't end up good. Thanks for the advice. That helps.

MMMMMMMMMMMMM......Slurpee:D

Shipp_96
08-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Not sure of you are staying with the NFL or not, but there are some decent priced Rams ones here:

http://www.josportsco.com/list_products.asp?CatID=5000000&TeamID=6000039&SubID=7000000&Page=6

Klattsy
08-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Keep in mind that MiLB teams come and go so you may not be able to get EVERY team...maybe start with 1 affiliate of each MLB team (that gives you 4 choices of teams). Or maybe make the #13 jersey's HAVE to have a name attached...

Skizzick
08-15-2011, 10:13 AM
You so crazy!

RJB44
08-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm in the process of collecting one road and one home jersey from each MLB team during the 1980-1989 era. This obviously won't include Marlins, Rockies, Rays, D-Backs or Nationals I started a couple of years ago and closing in on the half way mark. I knew this would be long term project,but that's OK, its been fun.

buckeyegamers
08-17-2011, 08:56 AM

Dave Miedema

Dave makes a great point. I started collecting game worn jerseys about 20 years ago with the intention of collecting a jersey of every NCAA D1 football team. What ended up happening was that I found it extremely difficult to find a small handful of teams (I got within 7 teams of my goal). In the mean time I was "jonesing" to add to my collection, so I ended up buying several jerseys of each team. This soon got out of hand. I have ended up selling over 300 of those jerseys (I still have about 100) and have changed the focus of my collecting to NFL jerseys of former Ohio State players (I'm an OSU alum). This allows me a fairly steady flow of different jerseys to collect from year to year without being so overwhelming. I wish this forum was around when I first started collecting, maybe I would'nt have made the mistakes that I did.

frikativ54
08-17-2011, 11:59 AM

Dave Miedema

I love the analogy, Dave! The only thing I will add is to not be intimidated or influenced by what other collectors are doing. When I started off, I got really discouraged when I saw how much some other forum members had. This kind of got me off track in my focus, as I was looking at collecting as a competition. This pretty much drained all the fun out of acquiring stuff.

However, now I'm just happy to add a few pieces that I like; I no longer feel the need to compete with the next guy. I also don't feel the need to needlessly focus on one part of my collection or have some kind of artificially designed focus. Hey, there's nothing wrong with randomly buying something because you want it, even if it doesn't fit with the rest of your items.

My main advice to you is "don't force it." You don't need to be the most focused when you're starting out. Don't let grandiose plans destroy the fun of collecting for right now and enjoying what you have today.

-Frik

sox83cubs84
08-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Those are additional good suggestions, Frik.

Dave Miedema

Number13
08-18-2011, 01:36 AM
Thanks so much for the input so far.

Now. Another question in relation to this topic.

Game Used vs Game Issued? Now I am not in this at all to try and flip items. I am purely collecting and having fun. So with that in mind, is there much of a difference? I know the differences between the two, just looking for more opinions?

I think I am going to take some advice and start with the Major League teams as a goal. I'm not saying I won't pick up Minor Leagues here and there, but need to start my goals a bit smaller.

LostExpo
08-19-2011, 06:15 AM
WELL Frik, I will never have that problem that you had because as soon as i find that 30th ann. 1998 expos patch and have it proffesionally sewn on my authentic 2001 vlad guererro grey expos jersey my epic life-quest will be complete and ill just sit back and it still wont matter to me how big my collection is because i freakin got that epic quest done. MUAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHA,
MUAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHA
and
MUAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAH MY EPIC QUEST WILL SOON BE COMPLETE AND I WILL BE RELAXING LAUGHING AND YELLING "IT IS COMPLETE FRIK MUAHAHHAHA IT IS FINALLY COMPLETE"

....man i really need to go to bed

sox83cubs84
08-19-2011, 06:05 PM
....man i really need to go to bed

+1.

Dave Miedema

Number13
08-28-2012, 04:57 AM
I've learned that there are endless GU items with the #13. So I started thinking about trying to be a bit more specific. One idea that I am debating is to try and collect a #13 jersey from every current and defunct Minor League team.

I am debating on taking this one up again. I think it would be a great lifelong quest.