PDA

View Full Version : Introduction's

jetersbatboy
08-13-2011, 08:02 PM
We have a ton of new collectors on the forum, and everyday we seem to add a few more. This is just a suggestion, but how about a mandatory introduction? I belong to a couple other forums and that is what they do. It could be policed by the forum members, as that is how I see it done the other sites. Before any new members first post they would need to do this. Are forum members could remind the new members about a introduction before any question or comments are answered. It may help in the communications between members as we would know a little about one another's collecting interest. Just a quick description about your collecting habits, your first name, and maybe home state. Any thoughts?

gingi79
08-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Great idea. Your first post must be an introduction. Some people don't like giving their real names (although that post has had tremendous response) but I think telling people who you are, what you collect and maybe collecting goals or questions.

Number13
08-14-2011, 12:20 AM
As a newer member on here, I think that is a great idea. I think it would also make new people feel a bit more comfortable talking to others on here. I immediately dove right in, but I can understand how others might feel intimidated and not know what to ask or fell stupid for asking something that has been answered before. We were all newbies at one point, well I am still one, just sayin. :D

jetersbatboy
08-14-2011, 02:23 AM
Great idea. Your first post must be an introduction. Some people don't like giving their real names (although that post has had tremendous response) but I think telling people who you are, what you collect and maybe collecting goals or questions.

I have also noticed that, about people using there names. The real Name post does get a lot of traffic, and should be combined with the new Introduction thread, if we can get one started. I also would like to suggest, people signing there post with a name. maybe not your whole name, but at least a first name. I think if you feel strongly enough to post something, you should at least put your name to it.

jetersbatboy
08-14-2011, 02:23 AM
As a newer member on here, I think that is a great idea. I think it would also make new people feel a bit more comfortable talking to others on here. I immediately dove right in, but I can understand how others might feel intimidated and not know what to ask or fell stupid for asking something that has been answered before. We were all newbies at one point, well I am still one, just sayin. :D

Great Points.

geoff
08-14-2011, 02:39 PM
I like the idea

godwulf
08-14-2011, 11:14 PM
Before any new members first post they would need to do this. Are forum members could remind the new members about a introduction before any question or comments are answered.

Why, exactly, do you think it should be mandatory? Unless you're involved in a sale or trade with another forum member, why would you feel it to be any of your business?

jetersbatboy
08-15-2011, 02:51 AM
why would you feel it to be any of your business?

I figured, I'd get a response like this.

All I'm saying is like any conversation, you don't just jump in. Most would consider it rude, to join in in a conversation without a introduction. Isn't a forum some kind of a giant conversation? I know all won't agree with this, but it's just a suggestion and my opinion, just like you have expressed your.
Thanks Scott

jetersbatboy
08-15-2011, 04:08 AM
Why, exactly, do you think it should be mandatory

Maybe "mandatory" is a little strong, how about advised?

godwulf
08-15-2011, 09:47 AM
All I'm saying is like any conversation, you don't just jump in. Most would consider it rude, to join in in a conversation without a introduction.

I either start, join in, or engage in conversations with people all the time in real life - at games, card shows, signings, as well as in non-sports type venues and situations. I might offer some information about my collecting interests, if it seems appropriate or I'm asked, but I tend to think that most people are far more interested in what one has to say, or in attempting to answer somebody's question, than in trying to establish their bona fides as a fan or collector, or to gather personal information about them. As you say, just my opinion.