PDA

View Full Version : Keith Hernandez Jersey

metsmetsmets
08-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Anybody here have any opinions on the Keith Hernandez Mets jersey that I've attached pictures of? The lack of any tagging at the collar/inside back of the neck suggests that the jersey was a batting practice jersey, if that. But the sleeve ends have but one orange stripe -- and all of the Mets alternate jersey variations that I've seen from that era ('81-'86, but '83-'86 in this case since Keith didn't join the Mets until mid-'83) that resemble this style had three stripes at the sleeve ends --usually orange/gray/orange? What do you think?

sox83cubs84
08-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Looks off to me, as well...I don't recall the Mets using NOBs on 1983-86 BP jerseys. Nick (TNT) could offer additional insight as well.

Dave Miedema

TNTtoys
08-13-2011, 08:49 PM
I have seen several of these 80's era Mets jerseys with a single orange sleeve stripe, and they are minor league jerseys. Attached is a photo showing several cards from the 1985 Lynchburg Mets team set. While the jersey in the photos is not exactly the same as Paul's Hernandez, you can clearly see the single orange sleeve stripe. I am sure if we dig deep enough (minor league programs, team sets, etc.), we will probably find the exact jersey.

Regarding the Mets BPs from 1981 to 1986 -- while 1981-1983 a solid (though lightweight) polyester was used to make these jerseys, 1984-1986 jerseys were made of mesh. If this jersey had any chance of being a team jersey, based on the material alone it could only have been a 1983, but the sleeve stripe rules it out.

Doodles
08-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Because it has a name, it cannot be any NY Met BP jersey that Keith would have worn. It most likely represents the 1983-1984 road alt. To be a Mets road alt though, it would need the three sleeve stripes as you noted. So I'm at a loss...perhaps a minor league jersey of a guy named Hernandez who wore 17, or draw your own conclusion. Did Keith do a minor league rehab assignment at anytime?

sox83cubs84
08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Because it has a name, it cannot be any NY Met BP jersey that Keith would have worn. It most likely represents the 1983-1984 road alt. To be a Mets road alt though, it would need the three sleeve stripes as you noted. So I'm at a loss...perhaps a minor league jersey of a guy named Hernandez who wore 17, or draw your own conclusion. Did Keith do a minor league rehab assignment at anytime?

It's most likely a minor league jersey that someone (not necessarily the seller) has unethically doctored to try and pass of as a Hernandez. There are things that hands-on inspection would tell us that can't be gleaned from photos, but that's where I'd lay my wager.

Dave Miedema

Doodles
08-15-2011, 08:23 AM
It's most likely a minor league jersey that someone (not necessarily the seller) has unethically doctored to try and pass of as a Hernandez. There are things that hands-on inspection would tell us that can't be gleaned from photos, but that's where I'd lay my wager.

Dave Miedema

I'm new here and don't know all the etiquette yet...but since you said it, I agree totally. The lettering is off as well...the Mets used a thinner letter on a long name like Hernandez.

metsmetsmets
08-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Here's why I started this thread.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-80s-Authentic-METS-BP-Hernandez-Jersey-44-J-/220834441767?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item336ac22a27

I told this seller that the jersey was Minor League and that the Mets of NY never wore that style jersey.

Here's the seller's title description:

Vintage 80s Authentic METS BP Hernandez Jersey 44 J

!RAREST METS AUTHENTIC ON EBAY THE 83 BP ALTERNATE WOW!

Doodles
08-16-2011, 08:59 PM
At least he's nice enough to show a picture of Keith that invalidates his own claim of authenticity.

metsmetsmets
08-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Now the auction is revised -- references to Keith Hernandez have been removed from the item description. But the jersey is still described as a Mets BP jersey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-80s-Authentic-METS-BP-Hernandez-Jersey-44-J-/220834441767?pt=US_Baseball_Fan_Shop&hash=item336ac22a27

cerr0ne5
08-17-2011, 10:18 PM
there is so much confusion regarding the mets alternate blue uniform during the period of 1982-1985.
what years did they actual wear a blue alternate?
was there a road version and a home version of the alternate?
what is the actual version or versions of the alternate?

i am talking about an actual regular season game uniform....not spring training or batting practice.

i believe it to be ONLY A ROAD VERSION. with GREY METS OUTLINED IN ORANGE. with ORANGE GREY ORANGE NECK AND SLEEVE TRIM. 1982-1983?

however i have heard it described as grey mets with orange outline. with orange WHITE orange neck and sleeve trim. also have heard it as grey mets orange outline with orange BLUE orange neck and sleeve trim. i have also heard of a home version with orange mets white outline with orange white orange neck and sleeve trim......

i am confused. does anyone know for sure?
thanks

Doodles
08-17-2011, 10:49 PM
cerr0ne5,

Read this recent thread. There was a 1982 road alt used in regular season games...a different 1983-1984 road alt used in regular season games...and a 1983 home alt which exists, yet I clearly do not recall ever seeing it used at Shea and even people who own them can't seem to find photo or video that they were ever used. So there is a bit of mystery to it.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=44905

Doodles
08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Now the auction is revised -- references to Keith Hernandez have been removed from the item description. But the jersey is still described as a Mets BP jersey.

Revised again to Minor League Jersey

cerr0ne5
08-18-2011, 12:36 AM
so in 1982 mets wore a road alternate..........orange mets/ grey outline. with orange blue orange neck and sleeve trim?

in 1983-1984 they wore a road alternate.......grey mets/ orange outline. with orange grey orange neck and sleeve trim?

and a home alternate exists with orange mets/ grey outline. with orange grey orange sleeve and neck trim.........may or may not have entered a home game at shea?

did i get it right? am i leaving anything out?

thanks

Doodles
08-18-2011, 08:59 AM
so in 1982 mets wore a road alternate..........orange mets/ grey outline. with orange blue orange neck and sleeve trim?

in 1983-1984 they wore a road alternate.......grey mets/ orange outline. with orange grey orange neck and sleeve trim?

and a home alternate exists with orange mets/ grey outline. with orange grey orange sleeve and neck trim.........may or may not have entered a home game at shea?

did i get it right? am i leaving anything out?

thanks

You have it right, as I see it...I have no evidence or recollection of any alternate used in 1985 and all the way till the late 90s.