PDA

View Full Version : Quick heads up for Mets and Red Sox fanss

gingi79
08-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Don't know the rules about mentioning other sites but a 1973 Mets and a 77 Red Sox jersey came up for sale on another board. I am going to post it here (Never dealt with the seller or have details) If I am breaking rules or it is deleted, email me at gingi79@aol.com and I'll tell you there

http://www.gameworn.net/cgi-bin/GW/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=020682

metsmetsmets
08-12-2011, 11:35 PM
That Mets jersey is not a '73. In '73, the Mets road jerseys had the city instead of the team name on the front. Beginining in '74, the Mets road jerseys had the team name on the front. The '74's and '75's were made by Rawlings; the '76's and '77's were made by Goodman & Sons -- the word "Mets" appeared in that oddly slanted script. The seller's uni is a Wilson and lacks the odd-slant script.

sox83cubs84
08-13-2011, 12:02 PM
That Mets jersey is not a '73. In '73, the Mets road jerseys had the city instead of the team name on the front. Beginining in '74, the Mets road jerseys had the team name on the front. The '74's and '75's were made by Rawlings; the '76's and '77's were made by Goodman & Sons -- the word "Mets" appeared in that oddly slanted script. The seller's uni is a Wilson and lacks the odd-slant script.

I disagree. The jersey likely is a 1973 (assuming the seller can read the strip tag correctly). However, for the 1972-73 Mets road "NEW YORK" front jerseys from Wilson, most that are in hobby circulation made a side trip to the minors first, where the city name was removed and the team nickname was put in its place. Still originally a Mets gamer, but of a reduced value due to the change for the minor league team.

Your manufacturer breakdowns for Rawlings and Goodman are both correct.

Dave Miedema

metsmetsmets
08-13-2011, 01:34 PM
I did not consider that the jersey might have been refurbished. Here is the Mets jersey in question.

sox83cubs84
08-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Looks like I expected. There are few 1972-73 Mets road greys with the original NEW YORK on the front, and, of the few I've seen, most are coaches.

BTW: the jersey was made for Joe Nolan, a bespectacled catcher who played in 4 games for the 1972 Mets, but did not play for the Mets in '73. He later played several years in the late 70s/early 80s for the Braves and Reds. (Number sourced from Street & Smith 1973 Yearbook).

Dave Miedema

metsmetsmets
08-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Good points but technically, and to split some hairs, I could say that we're both right. If the "New York" was stripped from the front and replaced with "Mets", then it's no longer a NY Mets jersey, as advertised, but a minor league jersey.

BTW, if you are right, then that jersey had to have been modified for one of the Mets lower minor league clubs. Their AAA team in 1973 was the Tidewater Tides; their AA team was the Memphis Blues; one of their A Ball teams was the Batavia Trojans.

This leaves the Visalia Mets (A), Pompano Beach Mets (A) and the Marion Mets (Rookie League) as candidates for team to match that jersey.