PDA

View Full Version : If a forum member won't pay you back...

treant985
08-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Maybe some of you can offer some advice on a problem I'm having.

About a year ago, I sent two nice bats (trade value $1750) and $1250 cash to a well-respected forum member. I was going to buy one of the rarer bats he had. It was all subject to me getting another $800 or so, which I told him would be difficult since I was in school and not really making any money.

He said he would always buy back the bat (or the portion I'd paid so far) if necessary. Eventually it was obvious that I just wouldn't be able to get the remaining $800, so we agreed that he would just refund the money I'd sent and the trade-value of the two bats I'd sent (which he had already sold).

He said it wouldn't be a problem to refund the $3000 by the end of 2010.

Of course, 2010 came and went with not even a dollar paid back.

But I gave him the benefit of the doubt and kept emailing every now and then, asking when he would be able to start sending some money.

In early May he finally sent $600 (when I sent an email saying I needed some money right then because of an emergency), but he hasn't sent any of the other $2400, even though it's approaching 1 yr.

He occasionally answers emails (and says he'll pay me back soon) but sometimes ignores them.

I really need the money because now I've finished law school and spent a LOT of money studying for the bar exam and moving to another state.

He's a well-respected person (which was the only reason I did the deal in the first place), but I just don't know what else I can do.

Any ideas?

BULBUS
08-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Wow, you're patient! I'd be calling the person everyday if someone owed me that much money!

Also, if someone sent me a down payment on something, I would give a time frame, and set the money (trade items) aside. Then, I would return the money (trade items) if you couldnt meet the terms in the agreed time frame.

Not Cool!

yanks12025
08-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I say out the member, then get law enforcement involved.

CollectGU
08-12-2011, 08:52 AM
Let us know who the member is.

Dave

Lokee
08-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I have a feeling I know who it is but out the cat anyway.

MLB~NUT
08-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I agree about getting law enforcement involved if they won't pay!

frikativ54
08-12-2011, 08:02 PM
Naming the member would assert pressure on the guy to reimburse you. We should all be warned, so we can have all the information before making deals. I sure would like to know if there are guys on here who aren't playing it straight.

Preston
08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I completely agree with everyone - out the guy. There's too many good, honest people on this board to have bad eggs, whether they're "well-respected" or not.

scootmagroot
08-13-2011, 02:50 AM
I say pass the BAR, take dude to court, and make him pay lawyer fees once you've won (you'll get to name your own price obviously after passing the BAR).........

But first, you should definitely out the dude so he doesn't screw over other people.

mmonte4
08-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I would tell him you've taking this issue to the forum, give him a five day deadline to pay and tell him if you don't receive the money by then you will out him on the forum.

1929tudor
08-13-2011, 11:30 AM
If your a law student and pass the bar I would think you have the upper hand since you know law and what rights you have and other options you can use. Use them