PDA

View Full Version : Game Worn Items On Paragon Auctions!

fbchiefs879
08-11-2011, 07:00 PM
Anyone have any insight on the walter payton, dan marino, and ladainian tomlinson jerseys? Thanks!

Tallyman77
08-11-2011, 07:53 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there knows why so many lots have been withdrawn from Paragon Auctions? :)

-Walt

Tallyman77

Evergreen7777@att.net

fbchiefs879
08-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Bump!

1929tudor
08-17-2011, 10:48 AM
I think before these auction houses list these game used items they should have expert people and be at least 100% sure they are game used. and get collectors opininons to that are knowledgable. Some posts I have read the past few weeks with some of the auctions when someone questions them they don't care because they think they know it all. Don't just accept this crap and throw it on your auction site and play stupid like I didn't know. You should know or don't be in the auction business. They all seem to want to deal in the volume of there auctions instead of quality. Like saying we have 500 lots in out auction. Who cares if 250 of them are fake. My whole thing is be totally sure before you put out a catalouge or start your auction. You have plenty of time to make sure.

BostonSportsFan
08-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Im sick of fake Game Worn Items on these random auction sites. Are there any honest dealers left on earth? Vintage Sports Authentics just got raided and the owner was arrested by the FBI at the National...... If you like Game Used Items please become a student before you buy anything. If I cant photo-match or get a Team Letter then I dont buy.

That is all well and good with current stuff, but good luck photo matching or getting a team letter with vintage stuff. Anything pre 1980 in most cases you are out of luck.

Joe

VerifiedAutographsCom
08-17-2011, 04:59 PM
That is all well and good with current stuff, but good luck photo matching or getting a team letter with vintage stuff. Anything pre 1980 in most cases you are out of luck.

Joe

The best thing that you can do for buying game used vintage items is get out here in the hobby community and talk to the top collectors of that particular team from that era. Make a post on GUU with photos and see what collectors have to say. I almost purchased 5 different fake vintage jerseys and after reading the thoughts of another GUU expert member who owns about 200 jerseys from that particular team and era I received an abundance of knowledge and I would never be fooled again on any jersey from that team and era.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ra/raretech/Barry-SandersSig.jpg
info@verifiedautographs.com

BostonSportsFan
08-17-2011, 05:06 PM
The best thing that you can do for buying game used vintage items is get out here in the hobby community and talk to the top collectors of that particular team from that era. Make a post on GUU with photos and see what collectors have to say. I almost purchased 5 different fake vintage jerseys and after reading the thoughts of another GUU expert member who owns about 200 jerseys from that particular team and era I received an abundance of knowledge and I would never be fooled again on any jersey from that team and era.

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/ra/raretech/Barry-SandersSig.jpg

info@verifiedautographs.com

I would most likely call good friend Howard Wolf and industry expert or others that I know. To your point, I personally won't make a purchase without doing a ton of research or calling on the proper person or persons. My point was, you will not be able to photo match vintage except in a one in a million chance and team letters forget it in most cases. I like to consult guys like Taube, Kinnunen, Grob etc. when making large purchases.

mmonte4
08-17-2011, 08:19 PM
please give him some time to provide evidence. i was planning to bid on several items, but they were taken down. i'd like to know what was wrong with them so that i can avoid purchasing in the future.

allstarsplus
08-17-2011, 09:08 PM
mmonte4, if they have taken down items it could be because a consignor pulled it. I don't think there is reason to panic. I called Keith Vari and he said 2 items were pulled due to issues.

mmonte4
08-17-2011, 09:41 PM
mmonte4, if they have taken down items it could be because a consignor pulled it. I don't think there is reason to panic. I called Keith Vari and he said 2 items were pulled due to issues.

I'd like to hear the specific items and what was wrong with them.

allstarsplus
08-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I'd like to hear the specific items and what was wrong with them.

Tomlinson jersey and Tug McGraw cleats were the 2 that were questioned and removed from what Keith told me.

Seems that unless you can show other items have problems, what is the issue here?

mmonte4
08-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Tomlinson jersey and Tug McGraw cleats were the 2 that were questioned and removed from what Keith told me.

Seems that unless you can show other items have problems, what is the issue here?

check out their basketball stuff, there were a number of items removed.

allstarsplus
08-17-2011, 10:57 PM
check out their basketball stuff, there were a number of items removed.

So what's your point? We can all see that. You can't make assumptions and my other point before to you was "mmonte4, if they have taken down items it could be because a consignor pulled it."

metsbats
08-18-2011, 10:33 PM
A fellow Met collector just alerted me to the Lenny Dykstra 86 World Series game used bat on Paragon Auctions this evening knowing I'm a big collector of 86 Met bats. Upon reviewing the auction bat I decided to view each of Dykstra's ABs during each game of the 86 World series. The photos in the link are the Paragon Auction bat and screen shots from each game showing the different Dykstra ABs during the WS. As you can see unlike the auction bat almost all the bats have light to heavy applications of pine tar. The exception is the bat which was used in Game 5 when Lenny struck out to end the game. However you can clearly see that the auction bat has a different grain pattern than the bat used during that AB.

Photographic evidence

http://www.freewebs.com/ward49/photos/ldparagon.jpg

So my conclusion is that the auction bat despite the inscription probably never saw any WS game use. In fact the bat is at best a game issue or game prepped bat as I don't see any evidence of hit marks or ball marks on it.

I've contact Paragon and have sent them the photographic evidence.

This is not the first time that a bat was inscribed as being used or implied as being used in the 86 WS but really was not.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=37077&highlight=Mookie+wilson+bat

Birdbats
08-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Paragon had a Pujols jersey at the National that was supposed to be in the auction. I examined it and saw that the name plate and the numbers were not sewn on correctly, and the fabric was exceedingly soft and dirty. Based on my experience with Cardinals jerseys, I have no doubt it was a fake. But, unless you knew what little things to look for, it was close enough to fool most people. I don't know why it was pulled, but am happy that nobody will get ripped off bidding on it.

metsbats
09-16-2011, 03:14 PM
A fellow Met collector just alerted me to the Lenny Dykstra 86 World Series game used bat on Paragon Auctions this evening knowing I'm a big collector of 86 Met bats. Upon reviewing the auction bat I decided to view each of Dykstra's ABs during each game of the 86 World series. The photos in the link are the Paragon Auction bat and screen shots from each game showing the different Dykstra ABs during the WS. As you can see unlike the auction bat almost all the bats have light to heavy applications of pine tar. The exception is the bat which was used in Game 5 when Lenny struck out to end the game. However you can clearly see that the auction bat has a different grain pattern than the bat used during that AB.

Photographic evidence

http://www.freewebs.com/ward49/photos/ldparagon.jpg

So my conclusion is that the auction bat despite the inscription probably never saw any WS game use. In fact the bat is at best a game issue or game prepped bat as I don't see any evidence of hit marks or ball marks on it.

I've contact Paragon and have sent them the photographic evidence.

This is not the first time that a bat was inscribed as being used or implied as being used in the 86 WS but really was not.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=37077&highlight=Mookie+wilson+bat

Keith from Paragon emailed me acknowledging the research and Paragon modified the auction to state that the bat could not be photo matched to any 86 World series use.

The bat did not sell.

http://www.paragonauctionsite.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=659&searchby=3&searchvalue=lenny&page=0&sortby=0&displayby=2&lotsperpage=25&category=1&seo=1986-Lenny-Dykstra-NY-Mets-Autographed-Game-Used-World-Series-Bat