PDA

View Full Version : what i dont get about fake jerseys

LostExpo
08-10-2011, 01:28 AM
ok so its 2011 and there are people making quality well made and durable fake baseball jerseys......... now don't get me wrong some fakes are not well made, but some are very well made......... why dont these overseas fakers bother to match up the correct sizing charts? For example majestic athletics baseball sizing chart for authentics is 44L 48XL 52XXL 56XXXL and 60XXXXL, but all these fakes have size charts like this 48M 50L 52XXL 54 XXXL, can anyone explain why they do that? Also how come the well made fakes bother to get the embroidery down to a "T" but dont even bother to use the same sewing method as for example Majestic Ath. or Rawlings........... Like it seems like the legit baseball jersey makers like Rawlings, maj ath, russell all have the same thread patterns when u turn the jersey inside out but on the overseas jerseys most of the threads have a different "Z" pattern?

TY, and i am sorry for the confusing wording of my question

The Lost Expo

jshortt
08-10-2011, 01:52 AM
Near as I can tell, they use the old Reebok NFL size chart. For some reason, they used to list 48 as M, etc.

hth,
J

LostExpo
08-10-2011, 02:12 AM
OK i did a little research and i worded part of my second question wrong............ How come when you turn the jersey inside out the shape of the seams of the numbers and letters sewn by the stiches is different than all those legit. baseball jersey company makers such as Maj., Rawlings, Russell, etc.

commando
08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
It doesn't matter what kind of fakes they are (pottery, jewelery, artwork, etc.), the details are usually the giveaway. A con artist typically looks for the quick score with an unsuspecting, novice collector who thinks he's getting a bargain. Most illegal manufacturers don't want to waste the time, effort or expense to make their fakes look "perfect."

With that being said, occasional fakes show up that DO look and feel just about perfect. The market for Michael Jordan's 1986/87 Fleer card has been fraught with peril for a few years now thanks to a group of fakes that are very difficult to distinguish from the real thing.

DeacDoug
08-10-2011, 11:51 AM
A think a lot of these fakes are sold mainly for wearing or autograph purposes. The real villains are the people getting hold of authentic blanks in various sizes and then replicating game jerseys.

xpress34
08-10-2011, 12:25 PM
You should be glad they don't 'get the details' right... if they did, the market would be more of a minefield than it already is in determining the REAL deal...

As far as the Jordan RC comment - same thing happened with Big Mac's Team USA RC's... lots of fakes once he hit 70 HRs in '98.

A local shop had a stack of McGwire RCs recently and I wanted one to display with my Big Mac baseball. The shop owner told me honestly that he was not sure if some of them may be fakes or not, so I went through the stack and got him to discount one even further that had pack wax on the back. Why buy one with wax stains on it? Because forgers try to make as perfect a copy as they can - they don't duplicate wax stains from packs, so I'm certain it's the real deal.

- Smitty