PDA

View Full Version : American Memorabilia - Solicitation Practices

sportscentury
09-10-2006, 06:43 PM
What do forum members think of American Memorabilia's practice of solicting items for their auctions by contacting sellers about the items that are in the sellers' live eBay auctions? In the past, I was contacted many times by AMI regarding items in my ongoing eBay auctions. Here is a recent example of what I'm talking about (note: Tony AMI is Tony Giese from American Memorabilia):

http://contact.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShowAllQuestions&requested=nleet&iid=320024350046&frm=284&redirect=0&ShowASQAlways=1&SSPageName=PageAskSellerQuestion_VI

I'm trying to picture Keith Vari (from Lelands), Brian Marren (from Mastro), or Robert Lifson (from Robert Edward Auctions) engaging in this practice ... somehow I'm having difficulty imagining this. Call me nuts, but I don't think this is exactly what eBay had in mind when they set up the "Contact Member" mail system. Though I admit that it is nice to be reminded of the class and ethics by which AMI operates.

As always, I welcome the commentary of war hero James A. Rast or any of AMI's other fraudulent representatives to provide comment.

Reid

P.S. Being that this is a very high end Clemens jersey (one of the finest I've seen), I can't help but wonder how often this kind of solicitation has led to high end auctions being ended early. I guess there is only one entity that knows for sure.

suave1477
09-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all its just business!!!

Its not like he asked you to close your auction now and consign to them he just merely stated if it doesnt sell through ebay to consider them. From what he wrote he was polite and not arrogant about it.

This is how business works you can't wait for it to come to you, you have to go out there and get it!!!! and thats just what TonyAMI did.

allstarsplus
09-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Call me nuts, but I don't think this is exactly what eBay had in mind when they set up the "Contact Member" mail system. Though I admit that it is nice to be reminded of the class and ethics by which AMI operates.

As always, I welcome the commentary of war hero James A. Rast or any of AMI's other fraudulent representatives to provide comment.

Reid
Reid - You are correct. That question to the seller is a serious violation of eBay rules:

Offers to Buy or Sell Outside of eBay

Offers to buy or sell listed items outside of the eBay site are not permitted. Offers of this nature are a potential fraud risk for both buyers and sellers and circumvent eBay's fees.
Some examples of offers outside of the eBay site include:

Using member contact information obtained from eBay or using any eBay system to offer to sell any listed item outside of eBay
Sending unsolicited (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/privacy-spam.html) (without prior permission) commercial email offers to bidders for the same or similar products that they have bid on in the pastViolations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation
Limits on account privileges
Account suspension
Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
Loss of PowerSeller status

ironmanfan
09-10-2006, 08:35 PM
Coaches Corner did a similar thing with me a few years back (not sure if they still continue this practice).

sportscentury
09-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Nothing wrong with it at all its just business!!!

Its not like he asked you to close your auction now and consign to them he just merely stated if it doesnt sell through ebay to consider them. From what he wrote he was polite and not arrogant about it.

This is how business works you can't wait for it to come to you, you have to go out there and get it!!!! and thats just what TonyAMI did.

Jason,

I am not at all surprised by your perspective on this rule-violating business practice. In fact, it is entirely consistent with my other observations. Please notice how I did not list Jason Edelman (from GameUsedDirect.com) among the likes of Vari/Lelands, Marren/Mastro, and Lifson/REA. You see, Jason, there are two kinds of business ethics...

As a side note, please do let me know when I can catch your next guest lecture at Wharton.

Reid

suave1477
09-10-2006, 09:57 PM
Reid I do take offense to your comments regarding me. I never said these particulary practices were my own I just said I didn't feel they were so bad. I hate to be the one who tells you this but solicitation is the key to success in sales. You are really turning a mole hill into a mountain.

Let me give you some examples:
Have you ever gotten a phone call about you buying a newspaper, phone service, travel plans?? These are solicitations
Have you ever received a flyer in the mail from your local supermarket about sales, electronic stores or other company?? These are solicitations
How about a CD in the mail from aol for a 1000 hours of internet?? Thats a solicitation also!!!

As far as violating ebays rules yes thats wrong, but as far as soliciting thats just business.

But your right I guess we should take a class from you about business over Fortune 500 companies, What do they know???

jessicawinters
09-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Offers to buy and sell outside of Ebay is against Ebay's rules, but I believe AMI did not violate this policy. He asked you to consider him IF the jersey does NOT sell in the end, meaning that Ebay would be out of the picture. If he asked for the item to be sold right then outside of Ebay, then it is a violation.

nate
09-11-2006, 12:27 AM
I actually have to defend Tony on this. We have communicated through ebay many times in the past which has never led me to end an item early and he did say "if your item doesn't sell". Reid does know my current frustration with AMI about calling and not getting an answer about a jersey I consigned. I've received a few offers on the jersey and it may sell as early as tomorrow. I also received emails from buyers asking "what is the lowest you will take?". I always want to email back "what is the highest you want to pay?"

Best Regards,

Nate

sportscentury
09-11-2006, 08:33 AM
Interesting feedback from everyone (some of it a bit more than interesting). I appreciate everyone's responses.

Nate, I was not going to bring up the other issue of AMI blowing you off after you consigned your jersey to them. If you look at some older GUF threads, you'll see that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Good luck with it and let me how it goes.

Jessica, welcome to the forum! I appreciate your response. However, I am confident that eBay would strongly disagree with your interpretation of their rules. Andrew's post hit the mark.

Cheers,
Reid

suave1477
09-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Sportscentury heres what I dont understand you post here to get our opinions and yet you dont like some of our opinions, if you feel that what was done was wrong as you mentioned about "Andrew hitting the mark". You already have your mind made up then why are you positing here take your gripe up with ebay and AMI.

sportscentury
09-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Jason,

I thanked everyone for their feedback - I truly appreciate it and I did learn from it. I have my mind made up about AMI, you are correct. I have my mind made up about some other businesses and individuals, as well. I think that many of us do. But I don't think that this precludes me from asking others what they think about an issue. This is a forum for discussion.

Take care,
Reid

allstarsplus
09-11-2006, 09:36 AM
if you feel that what was done was wrong as you mentioned about "Andrew hitting the mark". You already have your mind made up then why are you positing here take your gripe up with ebay and AMI.

In terms of business ethics, the jury is out, but I am in agreement with Reid as there are other ways to solicit business. As far as eBay ethics, it is a clear violation.

eBay set their rules to protect their members and their own profitability. We sell a dozen items a month on eBay and every once in a while we get an email from one of our bidders that some scumb-g scammer has contacted them thru the eBay system that they can "sell them the same/similar item at a lower price".

Is that good business ethics too in your eyes?

Andrew

CollectGU
09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm trying to picture Keith Vari (from Lelands), Brian Marren (from Mastro), or Robert Lifson (from Robert Edward Auctions) engaging in this practice

Reid,

I know for a fact that Keith Vari did indeed contact an ebay member regarding a Frank Robinson jersey that they offerede for sale. He offered to purchase it from him or to have him consign with a large advance whle the ebay auction was ongoing....Feel free to ask him, he'll porbably thank you for dragging his name into this...

**Content Removed*** There is nothing wrong with letting someone know that if their item doesn't sell, they have another avenue to choose to sell it through.

Dave

eGameUsed
09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I personally don't think what Tony did was wrong! He said if it didn't sell on eBay, would he consider consigning to them. Again, he removed from the picture. eBay has had the opportunity to list the item and get big fees for it, but if they don't bring the audience for this type of item, maybe AMI can.

I have done the same thing in the past! If a seller had an item listed at a price I thought was high, I e-mailed and asked if they would consider selling at a lower price if they did not get what they were looking for. Just because the initial listing was on eBay, if it doesn't sell, eBay can't tell you what to do with it once it has ended! No eBay rules have been viloted!

Now, As for someone e-mailing a bidder during the auction and offering the same item for less or off-eBay, that is against eBay rules. There is no questions that is wrong!

Thanks,

suave1477
09-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Dave I agree with you 100%!!!

No wrong was done!!!

sportscentury
09-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the additional feedback and information. I didn't realize that this practice was common among auction houses and companies. I have learned a lot and I thank everyone for their feedback.

Reid

sportscentury
09-11-2006, 12:36 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the update and your insight. I very much enjoy reading your posts.

Did you ever get a chance to respond to Rudy's question for you on the David Ortiz 2006 jersey thread? For your convenience, here is the link: http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=4448 ... I have learned a great deal from your insight and expertise and I look forward to reading more of your informative posts.

As for AMI, some of us are close friends with Victor and his crew and some of us are not. Some of us have a financial stake in AMI's success, and some of us do not. Likewise, some of us are comfortable with their business practices, and some of us are not. I would bet that these three variables are highly correlated.

Thanks again for sharing your conclusion about the status of this thread.

Reid

trsent
09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Reid, it is an odd practice, but even if it is against the eBay rules, it is a practice that is done in this industry. People will end auctions, ask questions about buying, etc. through the eBay system because of the exposure it brings.

I do not cry every time someone drives over the speed limit. It happens, and it is against the rules also.

Does eBay approve? No, they hate losing sales commissions. Do they turn their other cheek on the practice? Yes, because some of the customers do spend good money and they don't want to lose their business.

**COMMENT REMOVED***.

CollectGU
09-11-2006, 01:58 PM
"Thanks again for sharing your conclusion about the status of this thread."

Reid

Reid,

***CONTENT REMOVED*** I have no financial interest in them, except that I will consign to them from time to time as well as Grey Flannel & Mastro, among others...I buy from all of them as well...Which auction houses do you do business with?

Dave

skipcareyisfat
09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Peanuts! Cracker Jacks! Ice cold Millaaa!

both-teams-played-hard
09-11-2006, 03:06 PM
How's the team look this season?
THE SHIP BE SINKING.
How far is it going to sink?
SKY'S THE LIMIT...

ChrisCavalier
09-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Hello Gentlemen,

I know Eric is traveling today so I am going to make a post here. I am going to ask everyone to take a step back here and refrain from making posts that achieve very little beyond the personal challenges. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment and I don't think this thread is achieving that goal. Here is the forum rule in case you have any questions:

No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.

Please note that if posts that fall into the "personal attacks" category continue on this thread or any other, we reserve the right to enforce the forum policies outlined in the "Administration" section of the forum rules linked here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=99

Sincerely,
Christopher Cavalier
CEO - Game Used Universe

trsent
09-11-2006, 04:08 PM
TRSENT THAT IS CALLED HARASSMENT, SPEAKING OF WHICH TO HELP YOU OUT HERE IS THE MERIAM WEBSTERS DICTIONARY DEFINITION.

Harassment - 1 a : EXHAUST (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/exhaust), FATIGUE (http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/fatigue) b (1) : to annoy persistently (2) : to create an unpleasant or hostile situation for especially by uninvited and unwelcome verbal or physical conduct

Jason, I am sorry.

I do not want to harass you.

Please forgive me.

Then again, was it me about six months ago offered you a truce and you declined. Oh well, I tried to be a Mensch and you decided you'll hold a grudge because I wrote the truth.

I do not want you as a friend, I just thought being on better terms would have helped more.

Again, sorry, I do not want to harass you, but I will continue to post in treads where I see my input is useful.

Eric
09-11-2006, 06:31 PM
Well children, you've really done it this time. I just got into my hotel and spent the last half hour trying to clean up your mess. Everyone stop, you're making yourselves look like fools.

Hey, have a great day! I know I am!
Eric