PDA

View Full Version : Need help making local connection

Number13
08-02-2011, 02:26 AM
I'm new to the GU world and need some advice on trying to make a connection with a local team. I sent them an email stating if they sell GU items. They got back to me stating they sell the jerseys at the end of the year. They also told me that they have never sold bats or helmets, but would if I was interested.

I sent an email back stating I would be interested in helmets and bats. The question I now have is, where do I go from here? I offerred to meet with them to talk with them about it. Is that a good idea? What would be fair prices if I bought jerseys, bats or helmets in volume? Since I would be the first to purchase their helmets and bats am I at an advantage or no?

Also, since I collect only a specific #, do people in the GU world do trades?

Any advice would help. And if I missed anything please let me know.

coxfan
08-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Meeting face-to-face is always a good idea. You can't lose from friendly communication. I'd think that you'd probably have an advantage because they're just as new to selling as you are to buying. Just as new buyers often overpay because they don't know cheaper prices are available, new sellers may undercharge for analogous reasons. In other words, you won't have competing buyers to give them a clearer idea of the prices they might get.

However, I missed in your post what level your local team is. If they're a low-level minor-league team, prices should be very low. I bought minor-league cracked g-u bats years ago from a Class-A team for around $5, though they had the player's numbers. About four years ago, I bought a AAA team's uncracked g-u bat for $25.

Number13
08-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the insight. The baseball team is from the Northwest League which consists of teams in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota.

Number13
08-02-2011, 01:58 PM
I just got an email back from the GM stating that he has forwarded our emails to the person in charge of merchandise and is looking forward to seeing me after the season ends on August 20th.

So, I'm not sure if that means I would be able to negotiate prices, especially on the jerseys. What stinks for me is that there was not a player that wore #13 this season, so hopefully they might have some stuff from past seasons or I would be able to trade the jerseys. Hopefully, there are collectors that are willing to do that.

Also, does anyone on this forum know of anyone who collects just a specific number like I do?

Thanks

brewcrew
08-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Eric,
If the team you're in contact with is the Wausau Woodchucks, let me know. My husband grew up there and he'd be interested in picking up a jersey if the price is right. :D

Number13
08-03-2011, 12:16 AM
Eric,
If the team you're in contact with is the Wausau Woodchucks, let me know. My husband grew up there and he'd be interested in picking up a jersey if the price is right.

It's not the team from Wausau, but I do occassionaly go up that way because my wife is from Marshfield and I could always check it out for you. I'm not sure if I will get up there in the near future. Would it matter who the player was if I come across them?

pags13
08-03-2011, 06:05 AM
I just got an email back from the GM stating that he has forwarded our emails to the person in charge of merchandise and is looking forward to seeing me after the season ends on August 20th.

So, I'm not sure if that means I would be able to negotiate prices, especially on the jerseys. What stinks for me is that there was not a player that wore #13 this season, so hopefully they might have some stuff from past seasons or I would be able to trade the jerseys. Hopefully, there are collectors that are willing to do that.

Also, does anyone on this forum know of anyone who collects just a specific number like I do?

Thanks

Eric:

I collect strictly #13 game used jerseys, have done so since about 1990, and I still have quite a few. I sent you an email early last week regarding a few Detroit Tigers #13 jerseys that I have with pics, but I never got a reply acknowledging the email, figured maybe you would get back to me after your visit to the National this weekend. I have around 15 #13 jerseys remaining in my collection, also have a few bats, a helmet, hat and wristbands that were all worn by a player who wore #13. At your convenience, you can contact me at jspayd@hotmail.com with any interest you may have, or to just discuss #13 jerseys.
Hope to hear from you eventually.

Jody

Number13
08-03-2011, 01:25 PM
I collect strictly #13 game used jerseys, have done so since about 1990, and I still have quite a few. I sent you an email early last week regarding a few Detroit Tigers #13 jerseys that I have with pics, but I never got a reply acknowledging the email, figured maybe you would get back to me after your visit to the National this weekend. I have around 15 #13 jerseys remaining in my collection, also have a few bats, a helmet, hat and wristbands that were all worn by a player who wore #13. At your convenience, you can contact me at jspayd@hotmail.com with any interest you may have, or to just discuss #13 jerseys.
Hope to hear from you eventually.

Sorry about that. :eek: I responded to a bunch of emails that day in regards to GU and I thought I responded back. Low and behold, I found that I did not. I will be going to the National Saturday and Sunday. Then I will take stock of what I picked up and will get back to you either way by midweek.

Number13
08-04-2011, 02:34 AM
I'm trying to figure out what would be a good price for jerseys, helmets, and bats if I bought them in bulk...ok maybe not bulk but multiples...from the connection I'm making up here in Wisconsin. I know I haven't stated what team it is. I'm just trying to make my first connection. Is it wrong for me at this point to not be specific on the team? If I am please tell me, I'm trying to learn things.
Thanks