PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce Refreshing, Thanks to Jay and Coca Cola

dplettn
07-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Perhaps Jay Bruce would be the perfect face for a Coca-Cola ad campaign titled simply “Refreshing”. In the midst of what has been a frustrating Reds season, Coca Cola today sponsored a Jay Bruce signing in Newport Kentucky. The signing was not 24 hours removed from Jay vocally praising the teammate hitting in (his) walk-off extra inning run.

All signing participants who lined up and were given wristbands were cautioned that Jay was only available for an hour, and that wristbands were no assurance of getting an autograph. Jay stayed past the hour (on a game day) and signed autographs for each and every wrist-banded fan.

I’m the kind of person that believes in observations. I don’t know Jay Bruce the human being but I can observe him just as I can observe subjects that appear far less honorable. Humble, approachable athletes achieve the support of fans that is more sustainable than a team’s moxy for earn post-season berth. Humility and kindness are character traits, much as an organization possesses a culture. Tonight, when my three year old vocally adored Jay Bruce on TV, Jay’s humility and human kindness of this afternoon were far more important to me than the 2 run 1st inning hit which followed my son’s first (of many) remarks while watching Jay.

In an era in which most athletes are correctly interpreted for their focus on self and money, and where many ball clubs hope to endear life-long fans with experiences, I found the minutes in front of Jay Bruce’s signing booth today ironic. Jay had the care for one common man (not myself) to casually apologize for minor omission in a requested “Player of the Month” inscription, then ask for the game used bat back to add the word “May”. My family had a bat to get signed as well, which he also inscribed with the utmost courtesy.

A promoter / onlooker asked about the Reds Pro Shop. Not wanting to say anything less worthy than Jay Bruce and Coca Cola deserved at the event, I bit my lip and said simply “you don’t want to know.”

To Jay Bruce and Coca-Cola, you are absolute class! Way to hold yourselves to high standards and exceed expectations! Its an honor and a pride each and every time I see my own or others' Jay Bruce game used items. Anybody have any cool Jay Bruce items to show off?

plettner@fuse.net

rchimes13@yahoo.com
08-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Dan...glad you had a great experience...more so for your son who can now draw on that day whenever he see Jay play. Here are my two favorite Bruce items...game used Old Hickory from his first Major League Spring Training and his 2009 Fielders Glove.

dplettn
08-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Both are fantastic, rchimes! (I'd greet you with your name if not for fear that someone else be mistaken for you)

Thanks for adding fantastic Jay Bruce items to the thread! I definitely understand your fascination with gloves and I'd love to add one of Jay's myself someday.

Also, what you are doing for my friend Rob (http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=45056) to help commemorate a first game is a fantastic act of kindness.

dplettn
09-22-2011, 09:48 AM
For those who have made similar observations as to how great Jay Bruce has been in the community (and very approachable with fans), please consider to vote for Jay for the Clemente award:

http://mlb.mlb.com/sponsors/chevy/clemente/y2011/?tcid=Club-EM-Clemente-2011&cmp=OLA_BRAND_5766580_0

Also, special thanks to fellow forum member Adam for the Game Used Jay Bruce cleats! I'm always interested in adding Jay Bruce items to my collection.

plettner@fuse.net

sox83cubs84
09-22-2011, 03:34 PM
I've written to the guy in care of the Reds twice, enclosing one card and a SASE. No response either time. He won't be getting my vote.

Dave Miedema

slambam
09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
I've written to the guy in care of the Reds twice, enclosing one card and a SASE. No response either time. He won't be getting my vote.

Dave Miedema

No offense, but I think the guy has better things to do that respond to fan mail, especially from people who aren't kids. I'm sure he gets more than his fair share of mail and could spend all day responding. Honestly if I was him, I probably wouldn't have sent anything back either. That's a terrible reason to dislike somebody IMHO.

dplettn
09-30-2011, 10:34 AM
No offense, but I think the guy has better things to do that respond to fan mail, especially from people who aren't kids. I'm sure he gets more than his fair share of mail and could spend all day responding. Honestly if I was him, I probably wouldn't have sent anything back either. That's a terrible reason to dislike somebody IMHO.

Everybody (including Dave) certainly should formulate their own opinion. Having said that, if Dave knew how much time Jay Bruce spends with fans and kids in the community (always with a positive attitude), I think even Dave would see Jay's glass as 99.9% full.

I have heard nothing but positive experiences from those (like myself and my family) who have had personal encounters. The funniest was one Dad who handed their child to Jay, who was happy to take a picture with the child. The child was less willing than Jay and yelled and screamed to get back to their dad. When the Dad argued with thier child "but that's Jay Bruce", Jay humbly returned, "Yes, but you are Dad".

That wasn't my kid (as you can see from the picture here, mine was thrilled to take his picture with Jay)... but the point is that it takes a great deal of patience and humility for a person with the demands of a professional athlete to present themselves so well in person. As for Baseball cards through the mail.... some athletes use ghost signers.

I am so very happy that Jay Bruce is a Cincinnati Red!

plettner@fuse.net

rchimes13@yahoo.com
09-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Everybody (including Dave) certainly should formulate their own opinion. Having said that, if Dave knew how much time Jay Bruce spends with fans and kids in the community (always with a positive attitude), I think even Dave would see Jay's glass as 99.9% full.

I have heard nothing but positive experiences from those (like myself and my family) who have had personal encounters. The funniest was one Dad who handed their child to Jay, who was happy to take a picture with the child. The child was less willing than Jay and yelled and screamed to get back to their dad. When the Dad argued with thier child "but that's Jay Bruce", Jay humbly returned, "Yes, but you are Dad".

That wasn't my kid (as you can see from the picture here, mine was thrilled to take his picture with Jay)... but the point is that it takes a great deal of patience and humility for a person with the demands of a professional athlete to present themselves so well in person. As for Baseball cards through the mail.... some athletes use ghost signers.

I am so very happy that Jay Bruce is a Cincinnati Red!

plettner@fuse.net
I SECOND THAT!!!....but hope he works on laying off the low and away breaking balls this offseason :)