PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Jr Jersey

AWA85
07-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Was planning on going all in on this Griffey Jr. Reds jersey but wanted to see what the board thought of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230653547733&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It seems to match up with some of the 2001 photos, only issue is the year 01 was printed on the property tags. The only year it was left off was 2003. Any one have any thoughts on this jersey?

AWA85@live.com

AWA85
07-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Ok, I am ready to pounce on this jersey but need some reassurance.

I have been told the year was not left on 01, only on a later year. Is there anyway to confirm this jersey matches the photos and is form 2001?

Also the arching of the name on the back seems extreme, anyone have any photos of the back of a 2001 home jersey? Should be easy to match if can find a normal picture of the back?

Lokee
07-29-2011, 09:41 PM
IMO size is correct but should their not be -01 after the Property Of Cincinnati Reds tag ?

The seller is a member here so I hope you contact him and let him know your concerns.

I always say if an item has questions and you get a bad feeling don't bid.

trsent
07-29-2011, 10:14 PM
IMO size is correct but should their not be -01 after the Property Of Cincinnati Reds tag ?

The seller is a member here so I hope you contact him and let him know your concerns.

I always say if an item has questions and you get a bad feeling don't bid.

Adam and I have discussed the jersey. Only so much information I have available, but I am confident with the jersey as my source was solid. I couldn't find too many pictures from 2001, hopefully some can find more of them and add to the discussion.

trsent
07-29-2011, 10:35 PM
I have failed in finding Griffey's back from 2001. What I noticed is guys with two digits have more of an arch than guys with one digit, and the longer the name, the more of an arch. I couldn't find anyone with a two digit number with a seven letter last name, but I did find Cromer with six letters in his last name to show an arch.

I noticed guys like Deion Sanders who only had a single digit uniform number have less arch than guys with two numbers and longer names.

Lokee
07-29-2011, 11:40 PM
All the Reds jersey's that I have seen say on the front tag "Property Of Cincinnati Reds-01 or -02 ect.... I have not seen a blank date before on a legit gamer.

Also your A-Rod jersey we will not even get into that :rolleyes:

Lokee
07-29-2011, 11:51 PM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=42961&highlight=Griffey

This is what a 2001 griffey tagging should look like notice the "Property Tag".

trsent
07-30-2011, 01:26 AM
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=42961&highlight=Griffey

This is what a 2001 griffey tagging should look like notice the "Property Tag".

So there was never any issued any other way? Those tags look pretty identical, minus the "01" and this originated from a good source. I'll assume the superstar had more jerseys made than other players.

Lokee
07-30-2011, 03:01 AM
I am just stating my opinion from what I know and have seen. If it's questionable like it seems to be then obviously people are gonna talk about it and want to get to the bottom of the item at hand.

Maybe other collectors have seen this type of tagging on other legit Griffey's I know I have not.

trsent
07-30-2011, 06:29 AM
I just received the following email from a former member of this forum who is respected in many circles for his knowledge. I won't name him, but his last name rhymes with "gulf" -

"Joel-The Reds, like all teams, have extra jerseys. I have seen legit Reds gamers void of the year designation and featuring just the PROPERTY OF notation.

The Griffey you have does seem to have an arch that is too curved. Is it fake-we all know there are variations to jerseys including placement of names, numbers, font etc. I’d suggest digging deeper to try to locate a shot of the arch style you have to put it to rest."

I have had no luck finding any pictures of Jr. from the back from 2001, but I do like the picture I posted above as I really believe the arch is greater for players with longer names and 2-digit numbers.

Thanks for your email HBW.

djnos7
07-30-2011, 07:59 AM
:eek: Who is putting the letters on the back of that jersey??? -1

djnos7
07-30-2011, 08:01 AM
I think Dave M could add some useful info about this jersey?

djnos7
07-30-2011, 08:13 AM
Here is an example and card from 2002 NOB is not arched that significantly...http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2002-Upper-deck-Stat-Tribute-Ken-Griffey-Jr-Game-Jersey-/18/!B6zc-B!!Wk~$(KGrHqEOKpgEy+jC0furBMyck!gi0Q~~-1_12.JPG

Lokee
07-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Here is one from August 2001

http://apimages.ap.org/OneUp.aspx?st=k&kw=2001%20griffey&showact=results&sort=date&intv=None&sh=10&kwstyle=or&adte=1312058231&pagez=60&cfasstyle=AND&rids=da9a3de5eee6da11af9f0014c2589dfb&dbm=PY2001&page=1&xslt=1&mediatype=Photo

djnos7
07-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Nice!

trsent
07-30-2011, 04:28 PM
I can't read anything posted by djnos7 since he is on my ignore list and I don't understand why David Archibald is being allowed to post through another user's Game Used Universe ID but since he is now just out to personally attack me since I had concerns about inscriptions on items he previously owned so I am done with this thread.

I do appreciate your posts Lokee, but I will no longer read this thread. I will not post anything more that David Archibald is involved with. I previously proved that he is posting with djnos7's account and I cannot play these immature games that the moderators took zero action over in the past.

I see a slant in the picture posted by Lokee, I am not sure what the difference is. They are pretty close thus proving my theory. I will no longer read this thread since David Archibald's using someone else's account to post and I will not play the games of any personal attacks.

If anyone wishes to further contact me about this jersey (except for djnos7 and David Archibald since I have blocked their emails) please email me at the email address below but I am not playing these silly, immature games when my jersey is properly tagged, has a slant similar to the picture posted by Lokee and came from a honest source originating from within the Reds origination.

Lokee
07-30-2011, 08:06 PM
Well I do not know the history (and don't care to) between the people you mentioned. I was simply voicing my concerns over your Griffey jersey.

I am still concerned over you passing off clearly questionable item(s) as game used. Especially from a person (like yourself) who is quick to call other people on "questionable" items. I have no problem with you as a person just a problem with your ethics.

Lokee
07-30-2011, 11:20 PM
I am done with this post. This was not intended for certain individuals to come out and bash Joel. We where having a civil discussion about a questionable item. Trying to make some sense of the jersey.

djnos7
07-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Lokee, despite what Joel believes, my main objective is to find the truth about this questionable Griffey piece, seeing as i am a big Junior collector and own 3 jersey's and his family trio of bats. I agree, that just because one says it came from a reliable source, doesn't mean much, like everything else in the past the, you have to do your leg work, which JA fails to do every time! And once again i'm not da, so let it go already, i have 0 affiliation with that person and i stand by my words!

trsent
07-31-2011, 02:39 PM
Lokee and I have been discussing this topic via email now that two brothers with David Archibald have attacked a once mature thread. I have no clue what they are posting as I have blocked all their posts but I do find it funny that a 30 year old adult can be so immature.

A wise man once told me when someone questions someone over something and instead of discussing the situation that he person attacks the questioner's credibility - The person is showing their guilt.

If anyone else other than the two brothers and a stranger has anything to add to this discussion, please privately email me at the email address below as I am not going to play these games with these people.

AWA85
07-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Want to thank you everyone who has emailed me about this jersey including Joel. He has been nothing but open and cooperative on this whole situation and is having the jersey reviewed right now.

While it is still posted, I think some of the concerns should be shared as it is still on ebay.

- First off, it is not a 2001 jersey. The year was listed in 2001 on property tags, but for some reason for a majority of the year of 2002 the year was left off. The pictures that look to be close to matching are from 2001.

- As others have mentioned the arch of the name seems to be extreme. Look at Griffey's road jersey photos and the name is not arched nearly to that extreme. Could this vary from jersey to jersey, yes. But it is a little questionable.

- The fraying on the back lettering and numbers with loose strings is something that does not look normal and has been pointed out by many Reds collectors. Jerseys that are worn throughout a season do not show those drastic threads. It almost looks like somebody took a brush to it, to make them loose. Also if it was worn that often to have threads and letters coming apart on the back, the property tag on the front would be much more faded and washed away. The use does not seem to match up.

-The final and most confusing part of the jersey is the property tag stitching. This has drawn many red flags from others and I would be curious to see photos of the inside of the jersey and the sewing of the tag. It almost looks rounded, something I have never seen on any Reds jerseys.

Once again, Joel is having the jersey reviewed and states that it comes from a great source. He says he will do what is best with the jersey once the research is found and I am sure it will all work out. I just wanted to share what numerous Reds collectors have shared with me as well as looking at countless Reds jerseys.

trsent
07-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Jersey has been pulled from eBay and more homework will be conducted. Thanks to everyone who emailed me privately and all I can do is try to work with everyone to educate myself and to keep the industry standards up to what we all expect.

Tallyman77
08-01-2011, 08:41 PM
WAY TO GO JOEL! Sorry you had to go through all that junk. :) .

-Walt

Tallyman77