PDA

View Full Version : Robert Edward Auctions Statement

Eric
12-05-2005, 11:47 PM
I received an email from Robert Edward Auctions regarding consignments. It contained text regarding trust and conflict of interest which should be interesting to everyone here. Read below
Eric

"What we do is even more remarkable than it seems, because every single item featured in our auctions is a consignment. Unlike our competitors, we don't buy material to auction at all, let alone present purchased material to the public as if it were consigned. We believe that collectors approach auctions very differently when they understand that material presented is often owned by the auction company, as opposed to being consigned as represented, and are much less enthusiastic about bidding on all lots (including those lots which are actually consigned) in any auction in which they feel they have been intentionally misled. When collectors learn the truth about this issue, let alone when they come to understand that at many auctions the auction company and its employees bid in their own auctions, they become less enthusiastic bidders in those auctions. We are seeing a MUCH greater awareness of these issues that affect ALL lots in auctions which combine secretly owned auction-house lots and consignments. These are issues THAT DO NOT EXIST at Robert Edward Auctions!

In the auction world, the integrity of the auction house and the bidding process are essential ingredients in promoting bidder confidence. This is just one of the many reasons why quality material brings such strong prices at Robert Edward Auctions. With good reason, collectors trust us. With so many auctions in the collecting world, it is all the more important to present your quality material in an auction where your items will not get “lost in the shuffle,” where they will be properly researched and highlighted, where they will be presented to the widest possible audience in an ideal manner that is trusted, in an auction that really stands out, that everybody receives, and in which everyone participates: Robert Edward Auctions."

WStiles
12-06-2005, 07:43 AM
I have dealt with most of the major auction houses at one time or another. I had my first encounter with Edward's auction earlier this year when I won two of their lots. I quickly got a certified check off to them and was very surprised when my items were shipped within 5 days of MY mailing. The items were very well packed, but never the less one item was damaged. I called immediately, explained the situation and I had a check in my hand three days later covering the loss. Some of the other auction houses, I would have still been waiting for the item. I have nothing but kudos for the professionalism with which I was treated and look forward to finding another item of interest for my collection. As far as the bidding went, it later turns out I knew my main opponent during the final bidding. We were able to compare notes and everything was totally above board from what we experienced.
Wayne