PDA

View Full Version : A fun night of free Baseball

godwulf
07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
After putting it off for a couple of years, I finally got around to checking out Arizona League baseball, last Friday night, and now I regret waiting so long. These are teams formed of very low level minor leaguers, guys just signed, Dominican players, and the occasional minor league or even Major League rehab player, and they play from the middle of June to the end of August, in the various teams' Spring Training facilities around the Phoenix area. Admission is free, and since there is no concession stand they don't care what food or drinks you bring in. The players and coaches on the field probably outnumbered the spectators in the stands.

The game I watched was played at Scottsdale Stadium, between the Arizona League Diamondbacks and the Arizona League Giants. The DBacks were skippered by former utility infielder Andy Green, who played for Arizona five or six years ago, then went to Japan, the Reds, and finished up with the Mets minor league organization. I used to love to watch him play Third, and I got the chance to tell him that, and to get him to sign one of his old Carolina Clubs gamers. The PC was Jeff Bajenaru, who bounced around in the minors for a number of years; I think he pitched one inning for Arizona back in the day and gave up four runs, giving him a lifetime Major League ERA of 36...but we didn't talk about that. The Batting Coach was Abraham M. Nunez, who was up briefly with Marlins and Royals back in the '02-'04 time frame.

The hitting was decent, the fielding not very impressive - the occasional flash of brilliance, but a lot of errors. The Diamondbacks were up 8 to 1 in the first frame, 11 to 1 in the second. In the bottom of the eighth, with the score 13 to 5, the DBacks pitchers seem to lose all control and started giving up hits, walks, hit batters, wild pitches like there was no tomorrow, and the Giants scored six runs, to pull within two. I'd been talking with a young player named Elroy Urbina before the game - his family was sitting in the stands near me - and he'd talked like he didn't expect to be in the game that night. But out he came in the bottom of the eighth, with the bases loaded and nobody out, to "restore order", as they say, and he ended up pitching a two-inning save; he gave up three runs over two innings, but the Diamondbacks scored two more in the top of the ninth, so the final score was 15-14. It took almost four hours to play this classic pitcher's duel. :rolleyes:

In addition to getting my Andy Green bat signed, I also got DBacks prospect Wagner Mateo to sign one of his Spring Training Maruccis, and I managed to talk one of the coaches out of the dugout lineup card. Before the game, one of the Dominican players - they tend to be a little on the rowdy side - threw a ball from the dugout at one of his friends in the stands, and missed, and the ball just rolled away, so I went and picked it up and put it in my bag, thinking it was just a minor league practice ball or whatever. Looked at it a couple of days later, and saw that it was a Golden Baseball League ball - no doubt left over from back in May, when the Calgary Vipers were having ST there in Scottsdale. Weird.

One other thing of note: I had an old roster that I'd gotten off the Internet a month or so ago, and a couple of the players on the field were not on it. The first baseman, wearing number 21, I couldn't ID. Later, at home, I checked the lineup card, and it gave his name as "J. Williams". So I checked the current roster online, and it listed him as "Jacob Williams". Did a little more checking, and - sure enough - it's Matty's son. So next Friday, I'll be getting a ball single-signed and adding to my "Seeds of Greatness" collection!

OaklandAsFan
07-27-2011, 01:12 AM
I didn't realize you never did this before. I usually spend my nights that aren't at the Dbacks games at Papago Park watching the AZL Athletics play (I was actually up there when the major dust storm rolled through a few weeks ago and waited it out in their locker room)

Last night was the last night game of the year I believe that all games have been moved to 11AM for the rest of this season though. Too damn hot in AZ to play in the middle of the day in July and August IMHO.

coxfan
07-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Your description remins me of when my wife and I went to University of Georgia baseball games in the 1970's. A typical "crowd" might be 30 people, with about 15 of those being friends of the players. Although they used the same field as they do now, there was no stadium; only temporary bleachers. (The 1970's home plate was roughly where today's first-base dugout is at Foley Field.) Now SEC baseball games draw thousands, with South Carolina averaging over 7,000 fans per game this year.

We also had season tickets to Class A minor-league baseball here in Columbia for years. At times, our seats were near the wives of two former major-leaguers, including Tim Blackwell and Jack Fisher ( who threw Maris's 60th and Ted Williams' last HR.) Major-league scouts would often sit right behind us and share their thoughts on players.

Sio going to these lower-classification games can be unique experiences.

godwulf
07-27-2011, 08:55 AM
I didn't realize you never did this before. I usually spend my nights that aren't at the Dbacks games at Papago Park watching the AZL Athletics play (I was actually up there when the major dust storm rolled through a few weeks ago and waited it out in their locker room)

Last night was the last night game of the year I believe that all games have been moved to 11AM for the rest of this season though. Too damn hot in AZ to play in the middle of the day in July and August IMHO.

Yeah, well, it's definitely gonna be sunscreen and bottled water time. I'm taking off work this Friday, so I'll be out at Talking Stick (great name for a ballpark, if you think about it) for that day's game against the Dodgers, then Saturday back at Scottsdale.

We play the A's at Phoenix Muni on August 12th, and I have to be at that game to show the AZL A's skipper, Marcus Jensen, something from my collection. I was checking out the other AZL teams' rosters, and looking up their managers' and coaches' records, and I noticed that Jensen played for the Phoenix Firebirds in '96. That rang a bell, and I checked out my collection inventory list, and then found the actual bat I had in mind. I've got two dozen old Firebirds team bats, and one of them has "Jensen 40" written on the knob. Marcus was the only Jensen to play for the team, so the bat had to be his. I've got a '96 Firebirds Yearbook around here somewhere, and when I find that I can confirm that he wore '40'.

OaklandAsFan
07-27-2011, 10:22 AM
The A's don't play at Phoenix Muni, they play at the minor league complex about a mile north. Papago Park. It's nice cause you sit in the small little bleachers with the other players who aren't playing that night. Good way to get to know these guys.

That's a pretty nice find on the Jensen, I'm sure he will get a kick out of it.

Whenever I see the A's pitching coach Arial Prieto I feel like kicking him because the A's took him over Todd Helton back in the day :)

godwulf
07-27-2011, 12:08 PM
The A's don't play at Phoenix Muni, they play at the minor league complex about a mile north. Papago Park. It's nice cause you sit in the small little bleachers with the other players who aren't playing that night. Good way to get to know these guys.

Good to know - I would have been pretty lonely, all alone at Phoenix Muni. So where is this minor league complex, exactly? Is it still south of McDowell Road, or is it on the north side?

I was kind of looking forward to being at Phoenix Muni, to tell you the truth, 'cause I like the way you can sit out in the right field bleachers, and all the foul balls hit into that whole section roll down into "the trough" down at the bottom - saves having to run them down. The year the Diamondbacks played with the Desert Dogs, and I went to so many games there, I ended up with fifteen foul balls in as many games, and got them all signed by the hitter. We old ballhawks have to conserve our energy. :rolleyes:

godwulf
07-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Whenever I see the A's pitching coach Arial Prieto I feel like kicking him because the A's took him over Todd Helton back in the day

Is that Alex Prieto's brother? I'm trying to figure out where I know that name from. I know he played a half dozen games for the Yuma Scorpions last year, but I don't think I saw a Scorpions game till they played in the AWL, and I'm pretty sure he'd moved on to another team by then.

Okay, I just figured it out. I've got an Augie Ojeda Twins bat from '04, and the seller advised me that Prieto had used and put his number on it; that's why the name was so familar.

OaklandAsFan
07-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Good to know - I would have been pretty lonely, all alone at Phoenix Muni. So where is this minor league complex, exactly? Is it still south of McDowell Road, or is it on the north side?

I was kind of looking forward to being at Phoenix Muni, to tell you the truth, 'cause I like the way you can sit out in the right field bleachers, and all the foul balls hit into that whole section roll down into "the trough" down at the bottom - saves having to run them down. The year the Diamondbacks played with the Desert Dogs, and I went to so many games there, I ended up with fifteen foul balls in as many games, and got them all signed by the hitter. We old ballhawks have to conserve our energy. :rolleyes:

The complex is on the NW corner of Mcdowell and Galvin Pkwy. pull all the way into the players lot and you can walk between the clubhouse and the batting cages to get to the field. The normal gates they open during ST and the lot you park in during ST are not used for AZL games.

Nobody chases down the foul balls at Papago, the players go fetch them to reuse later. Thats part of the fun of AFL, the first year I went to a game a ball was hit down the RF line into the stands in Scottsdale and not one person budged to get the ball. An inning later I decided screw it and walked over and picked it up.

Oh and FYI they moved the Rafters from Surprise to Salt River this AFL season (they also updated all the team logo's) and moved the Saguaros from Peoria (where they shared a stadium with the Javelinas) to Surprise so now there are 6 teams in 6 stadiums.

This info isn't released just yet I believe, I got it from the AFL booth at Fanfest.

The teams this year are:
Javelinas- Brewers, Mets, Padres, Mariners,Cardinas
Desert Dogs-Reds, Indians, Yankees, A's, Blue Jays
Saguaros-Braves, Marlins, Royals, Rays, Rangers
Solar Sox-Orioles, Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Pirates
Rafters-Dbacks, Rockies, Tigers, Astros, Dodgers
Scorpions-Red Sox, Angels, Phillies, Giants, Nationals

godwulf
07-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Nobody chases down the foul balls at Papago, the players go fetch them to reuse later.

Bummer.

Thats part of the fun of AFL, the first year I went to a game a ball was hit down the RF line into the stands in Scottsdale and not one person budged to get the ball. An inning later I decided screw it and walked over and picked it up.

Yeah, day games in the Fall League are usually like that...unless some guy has his kids out there (playing hooky or home-schooled, I guess) and is egging them on to run down as many foul balls as they can get. Don't get me started.

Oh and FYI they moved the Rafters from Surprise to Salt River this AFL season (they also updated all the team logo's) and moved the Saguaros from Peoria (where they shared a stadium with the Javelinas) to Surprise so now there are 6 teams in 6 stadiums.

Yeah, I visited that booth, myself. Was surprised to see the schedule out so early. I'd expect to start hearing the beginnings of roster rumors in just about a month, around the first of September. (Hoping to see Goldschmidt and Skaggs, on the DBacks side.) I have to say, the Rafters logo is pretty lame - a crossed boat oar and baseball bat? I bought the hat, but I already miss the scorpion.

godwulf
07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Rafters-Dbacks, Rockies, Tigers, Astros, Dodgers

Detroit...the DBacks' natural geographic rival. (Interleague play joke.)

Good to see we'll still be playing with the Rockies - their prospects are nearly always some really nice guys. I'm not crazy about cheering for anybody in a Dodger uniform, but we'll see.

Thanks for the directions. I've been at that corner a hundred times and never noticed there was a ballfield nearby.