PDA

View Full Version : Royals 2012 Fantasy Camp!!!

CampWest
07-22-2011, 10:15 AM
In January 2012, I will be fulfilling a decade-long promise to myself to attend and participate in a Royals Fantasy Camp. I purchased my spot in the Royals Fantasy Camp through the silent auction at a charity fundraising event (the price I couldn't pass up).

My participation is a bit tenuous due to some old injuries and ailments. As a child I had Perthes Syndrome, which essentially is a loss of blood supply to the hip which resulted in a weak and somewhat under-sized femural head. In high school, I fractured a piece off of my femoral ball and I have been living with pain and arthritis ever since. I have recently been consulting with surgeons on a full hip replacement. After the hip replacement, my doctor is strongly recommending I not play softball or baseball. Therefore I am kind of looking at this as my one chance to fulfill my desire to play in a baseball fantasy camp.

Also, I have what is referred to as a "snapping scapula" in my throwing shoulder. Basically the shoulder blade grinds, pops, snaps and there is significant loss of strength and range of motion to go with the pain and discomfort. I have been to two doctors so far and neither has been able to determine the cause for my snapping scapula. A third doctor is scheduled and hopefully we'll find a good treatment.

So now you know I am a 37yo with the hip and shoulder of a 65 year old. With luck (cortisone injections and pain killers), I hope to be able to hobble and limp my way through a week of baseball and not embarrass myself too bad.

Stay tuned. More to follow as I will track my progress in this thread from today through Camp which runs January 30 - February 3.

Shipp_96
07-22-2011, 10:51 AM
Good luck! I have always wanted to do one of those with the Pirates, or Steelers. I used to play sports up until my junior year in college, then "retired" from competitive scholastic sports. Though I continued going to the gym and lifting & swimming, age sucks!

I am now at the end of my 30s, much like yourself, and found out after joining a summer baseball league and a company softball league that being strong and fit does not account for: A) Older reflexes B) Trying to compete with guys who could be your kids C) PAIN.

It's not so bad now as the season/s progress, but before that I got skinned/blistered hands from hitting, a ball off the infield that bruised my calf and a bruised thumb and knee. All within the first month :confused:!

Like Indiana Jones said, "It's not the years, it's the miles".

CampWest
07-22-2011, 11:38 AM
First order of business is going to be deciding on a couple bats.

I am disappointed to see a lack of customization options from Louisville Slugger. I do not see a way to order a personalized and customized pro-stock bat. The personalized bats in the gift shop would not be suitable for what I want to take to fantasy camp.

Therefore, I am leaning towards Phoenix bats. Their bats are used by one of my favorite players can order specific models and sizes and they offer two lines of free engraving along with several finish options. And they offer both Ash and Maple at far better prices than the others I've looked at.

Leaning towards the W241, 33" 31oz, probably one ash and one maple. The maple will be royal blue handle and an unfinished barrel. Ash probably flame barrel and clear-finish handle. Custom engraving "Wes Campbell {} 2012 KANSAS CITY ROYALS FANTASY CAMP".

https://www.phoenixbats.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/967x214/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/f/i/file_4_46.jpg

WadeInBmore
07-22-2011, 12:47 PM
If you need/want Hoosier bat company info let me know and I will forward it onto you. The bat orders take about 2 weeks to fulfill and bats are available in 3 different types of wood (I think). For an additional $1 or 2 you can get a name laser engraved on the bats.

wade

freddiefreeman5
07-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Congrats to you! And I hope that your health improves in the future.

geoff
07-22-2011, 09:21 PM
Congrats Wes on the fantasy camp.

ferro39
07-22-2011, 11:01 PM
awesome, man...and dont feel bad. im 31 and my body is so screwed up, i couldnt even attempt to try one of these anymore. if i fall into money, maybe ill show up and be a 1st base coach or something :)

does brett show up for these? if so, that would be worth the price for me. he was my elvis growing up

eisenreich8
07-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Best of luck to you Wes!

I couldn't wait to turn 30 (the required minimum age) to attend Red Sox Fantasy Camp. Just never got there. Now 51 and can't wait till I'm 60 so I can attend, without so many damned distractions in life lol.

You're a great guy. How's about I send you a complimentary fresh game issued Jim bat to take along in your bat bag. Just lemme know!

Joe

gingi79
07-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Wes do me a favor. When Kansas City sends its scouts to this camp and signs you as their new utility infielder, make sure they spell all your ailments correctly. Nothing annoys me more than seeing Perthes Syndrome spelled wrong on the 15 day DL.....

Stretch as much as you can from now until then, keep the cortizone close by and breath deep when the experience becomes painful. Weeks later, all you will remember was how sweet the feeling of being a Kansas City Royal felt.

My father had a great comment for things like this. Rather than overstate or put pressure on me when great things happened, he simply whispered in my ear:

Enjoy this.

tigerdale
07-23-2011, 05:27 PM
Enjoy every minute...for sure!! I was lucky & went to the tigers camp in 1995...in my young 30's. It is still one of the best weeks I ever had!! Its your camp...your fantasy...play as much or as little as you wish. Do go there in some type of shape, as many people showed up & went all out & blew out there hammys from being inactive all winter & out of shape. The guys in there 60's has as much fun as guys in there 30's. Pick out your batting gloves, wristbands..everything!! I even bought my own tiger helmet to wear so I could bring home that memory too!! You will have a GREAT time!!!

CampWest
07-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone.

Wade, I'll look into Hoosier, thanks for the offer.

Joe, thanks for the offer, but I'd hate to waste an Eisenreich bat, but he does go to the Royals Fantasy Camp sometimes, so I might need something to get signed...

Gingi, I hope there are no scouts... I'd hate to see their notes. "Old. Slow. Weak. If he was a buffalo, he would sacrifice himself for the herd." - Something like that anyways. Regarding "Enjoy this", great advice. I have a tendency to put too much pressure on myself. I might just write that on the underside bill of my cap as soon as I get in the clubhouse.

Dale, I will play as much as they will let me. And I will definitely be "geared-up". Good call on the helmet, I'll have to figure out where to find an authentic helmet - I definitely want to take that home with me.

Also, I gotta say, my wife was incredible... We had talked before that I was going to do this at some point, but I bought this on a whim at the auction while she was home with family that was in from out of town. When I called and told her I spent a lot of money at the charity auction, she screamed "Yay" without hesitation. She's all for it and very encouraging.

jppopma
07-24-2011, 12:52 AM
Best of luck Wes! If you are looking for a pro stock bat, you can also try to look into BWP bats in Brookville, PA. I've toured their factory there a couple of times and they seem very accommodating.

Like others have said, get yourself ready for it. Visit the cages a few times here and there, or just go and play with the kids.

Regarding the personalization of the bat, I do not think that anything can have the full team name on it unless it is ordered by the team. That is why we see even pro players bats without a team name if they are ordered directly, by an agent, or others. That being said, you can always leave off the KC part and have the inscription read "2012 Royals Fantasy Camp", since Royal or Royals can be anything.

island_style
07-24-2011, 04:41 AM
Congrats on the Royals camp, Wes!

I did a Dodgers camp in Vero Beach and had a great time. The interaction between campers and instructors is just as fun off the field as it is on the field.

A few months before my camp the Dodgers sent me a chart of stretching exercises to do. It helped, but that's not to say that I didn't end up on the trainer's table a few times. The trainers were great, and they did a great job of getting the campers back on the field. It was especially helpful in-between doubleheaders.

Everyone took their turns at-bat, but some needed pinch runners. Those runners lined up by the first base line with their backs turned away from the plate. They ran when the batter made contact.

Definitely bring your own helmet. Otherwise, you need to use the ones provided by the camp, and you never know if one your size will be available when it's your turn at-bat. Try to check out southsportsinc on eBay. They have Royals helmets from time-to-time.

I ordered six ash bats from Carolina Clubs (they personalize...no team name, though), and the box of bats was waiting at my locker when I arrived.

Check to see if your Royals camp will provide a thumb protector (like Pro Direct). It's a rubber piece that slides over your thumb and rests in the palm of your hand. It will help against getting bruises while hitting with a wood bat.

Have fun, and please keep us posted!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

CampWest
08-12-2011, 06:32 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas everybody...

So, I've started getting stretched out a bit, played a couple softball doubleheaders and have been getting to the cages once or twice a week. Slowly I feel the swing coming back, though I cant handle anything above 70mph just yet. Hopefully won't run into much faster than that.

I had a conversation with the Royals coordinator a couple weeks ago.
I think she might be John Wathan's daughter. Anyhow. here are a couple of the details to come out of the conversation:

The Royals typically take 72 campers - split into 6 teams of 12.

They won't have the list of Alumni that will be in attendance finalized for a while, maybe another month or two. It sounds promising that all the "guys that always attend" should most likely all attend next year as they normally do. She said the core staple of guys that attend pretty much every year are George Brett, Frank White, John Wathan, Big John Mayberry, Dennis Leonard, Willie Wilson and Kevin Seitzer. Plus additional alumni.

I had heard that George Brett didn't attend all the time and I guess that was incorrect. George has only missed one year and that was because he was moving into a new house that week and couldn't make it. On the encouraging side, she made it sound like there was no reason to think George wouldn't be there this year. So, I am keeping the fingers crossed for that. Also, there may be a camp "rookie" in Mike Sweeney this year since he just retired this season.

Picked up some royal blue cleats, wristbands, batting gloves and a batting helmet to fill in some parts of the uniform. All from baseballexpress.com. And, Ron/IslandStyle, thanks for the advice on the Pro Hitter, thats been great in the cages.

http://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/bats/gear.jpg

CampWest
08-12-2011, 07:04 PM
I received the official registration form in the mail a couple days ago. Partly just name, contact infomation, and uniform sizes. More interestingly, I need to select my jersey number. I always wore #3, #9 or #39. I'm leaning towards #9. #3 has not been very good for the Royals in recent memory. And I think I am too skinny for two numbers. Using that logic I should probably go with #1 since it is the skinniest number.

Almost all of my favorite players wore #5 (Brett, Brooks, Bagwell, Pujols - Jim Thome wanted #5 but it was retired so he went with 5x5 for #25). I think I'll pass on #5, because that is George's number and the Royals retired it. It seems disrespectful for me to use his number even in a fantasy camp. #9 seems like a good number. Ted Williams wore #9.

Also, I need to select my top three position choices. Wow, thats a tough one. I've played every position. I'd love to play first to keep busy, but I think I should leave that for some 60 year old. I'll probably mark down Shortstop, Second Base, and 1st. I'll play anywhere though I think infield seems best to get more action, not sure how much hitting there will be.

Lastly, today I received an order of bats. I ended up getting my bats from Phoenix Bat Company. Their founder, Charley aka Lefty, was very friendly and responsive in helping me find a bat model that wasn't in their standard offering as well as confirming a powder blue finish that wasn't an online option.

I ordered three model RB27, which is equivalent to a Louisville Slugger B363. The B363 was created to specifications requested by Jeff Bagwell, basically an I13 with a slightly scaled down barrel and an enlarged knob. Yeah, an enlarged knob. I've always taped the knobs of my bats so I figure this big flared knob would be a comfortable fit. It came in handy being a game used bat collector, because I was able to pick up about 40 different models and find what felt most comfortable. The B363 felt great and very well balanced.

The first bat is made of maple finished with a Powder Blue (I refuse to call it Carolina blue) handle and a Natural/Unfinished barrel. Second is made of ash and has a Smoke Black handle and a Flame barrel. Finally, my wife's favorite, made of maple finished with an Antique Cherry handle and a High Gloss Black barrel. All three bats are 33" and engraved on the barrell with the model and length, followed by Wes Campbell, 2012 Royals Fantasy Camp.

Phoenix was awesome to deal with.

http://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/bats/full%20sm.jpg

happyyoungster
08-15-2011, 08:50 AM
Wow...this is a really cool thread. Love the personalized bats, Wes.
If I ever decide to do this, I'll be armed with a few great ideas!

Thanks, guys.

ferro39
08-19-2011, 04:19 PM
nice new set of equipment and brett is going to be there? id say that things are progressing nicely

id consider paying the fee to cheer from from the bench if i knew id be on the same squad as george

island_style
08-20-2011, 05:49 AM
Great gear, Wes! In addition to the bats I ordered, I brought a pair of blue spikes, left and right handed batting helmets, batting gloves and infield and outfield gloves that I used in a league before the camp.

I'm glad the Pro Hitter is working out for you. It really made a difference for me when hitting the ROMLB's at camp vs. the dimpled rubber batting cages balls.

A lot of campers wore the numbers of their heroes/favorite players. While walking through the clubhouse I saw many jerseys with #42 (for Robinson), #32 (Koufax), #14 (Hodges and Scioscia), #1 (Reese), #4 (Snider), #6 (Garvey), etc., hanging up in the lockers.

We were issued (and got to keep) two uniforms: home white and road gray jerseys and pants with our name and number, a blue belt, pair of white sanitary hose, blue stirrups (old school low-cut style) and a cap. I also picked up a blue mock long-sleeve turtleneck with the "Dodgers" script embroidered on the neck from the clubhouse.

Our jerseys were made by Goodman, and the pants were AIS. The names and numbers on the back of the jerseys were blue-on-white, and only the bottom white layer was sewn to the jersey. The pro-style stitching was a nice touch.

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

CampWest
09-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Not too much new since the last post...

However, this weekend the Royals announced a new benefit for Fantasy Campers... Every 2012 Royals Fantasy Camper gets the opportunity to buy two tickets to the 2012 All Star Game at Kauffman Stadium.

Sweet!

Keeps getting better.

OaklandAsFan
09-19-2011, 02:43 PM
I am thinking of going to next year's All Star Game, I have family in the area.

Can't wait for people to start comparing the humidity of the midwest to the heat of Phoenix!! :)

CampWest
10-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Just received an announcement that there will be a new rookie alumni/manager at camp... Gold Glove Winner, 2x All Star, World Series MVP... Jermaine Dye!

That's pretty sweet news.

cliffjmp33
10-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm getting excited for you! Awesome stuff and hope more fun surprises like this keep popping up for you!

CampWest
10-21-2011, 09:28 PM
One of the Royals media people tweeted today about 2012 Royals Fantasy Camp, "hangout in AZ with Brett, White, Sweeney, Dye, Mayberry, Wilson, etc."

Hopefully that means that George Brett, Frank White, Willie Wilson, and Big John Mayberry have all officially committed to join camp rookies Mike Sweeney and Jermaine Dye.

murfsteve25
10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Congrats! make sure you take a lot of pictures! i would love to see some

CampWest
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Update on the Alumni list... Confirmed so far are the following, 5 or 8 more alumni will join this 10 depending on how many campers get signed up. Royals carry 3 Alumni per camp team.

1. George Brett
2. Frank White
3. Willie Wilson
4. John Mayberry
5. Mike Sweeney * rookie
6. Jermaine Dye * rookie
7. Dennis Leonard
8. Joe Randa
9. John Wathan
10. Mike Montgomery

Also, I decided I need another bat, one that is a little smaller and lighter to allow me a little more bat speed. Plus it was a chance to get a nick name bat... So this is on its way...

MichaelofSF
11-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Application for camp just got accepted today. Can't wait to join Wes out there in Surprise.

frikativ54
11-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Update on the Alumni list... Confirmed so far are the following, 5 or 8 more alumni will join this 10 depending on how many campers get signed up. Royals carry 3 Alumni per camp team.

1. George Brett
2. Frank White
3. Willie Wilson
4. John Mayberry
5. Mike Sweeney * rookie
6. Jermaine Dye * rookie
7. Dennis Leonard
8. Joe Randa
9. John Wathan
10. Mike Montgomery

Also, I decided I need another bat, one that is a little smaller and lighter to allow me a little more bat speed. Plus it was a chance to get a nick name bat... So this is on its way...

With a lineup like that, you must have paid a small fortune to attend.

OaklandAsFan
11-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Maybe I'll swing out to Surprise and watch you guys one day. It would make sense for Dye to join in seeing as he lives a half hour from Surprise Stadium.

CampWest
11-17-2011, 12:20 AM
Application for camp just got accepted today. Can't wait to join Wes out there in Surprise.

Great news, Michael!

We're just 2.5 months away. Should be a blast. This might be the first time two forum members attended the same fantasy camp.

One other new piece of news, I am on the "preferred" alumni flights in and out of KC. Any KC based alumni will probably be on the same flights.

CampWest
11-23-2011, 05:57 PM

1. George Brett
2. Frank White
3. Willie Wilson
4. John Mayberry
5. Mike Sweeney * rookie
6. Jermaine Dye * rookie
7. Dennis Leonard
8. Joe Randa
9. John Wathan
10. Mike Montgomery

11. Willie Mays Aikens
12. Jaime Bluma
13. Jim Eisenreich
14. Brian McRae
15. Bill Pecota
16. Greg Pryor
17. Kevin Seitzer
18. Jerry Terrell
19. Jon Warden

Looks like all the slots are filled and the alumni set. They're sending out jersey orders early next week.

CampWest
01-10-2012, 03:22 PM
We depart/start camp in just 20 days...

Final training and preparation is underway. Mostly batting cages and stretching - and XBox Kinect with the 6yo makes for some cardio. ;) Hoping to meet up with some other campers at an indoor facility to do a little throwing over the next couple weeks, but no luck as of yet with scheduling. And lots more stretching. Taking inventory of the gear and hope to get a new prescription for glasses at the end of this week, I never wear glasses, but found I can see a baseball much better when I put them on, go figure.

And the coaching teams have been announced... We find out team assignment the first night of camp, January 30th. Team 6 is loaded.

1. George Brett, John Wathan, Bill Pecota
2. Jermaine Dye, Joe Randa, Mike Sweeney
3. Kevin Seitzer, Jon Warden, Willie Wilson
4. Willie Aikens, Jamie Bluma, Greg Pryor
5. Brian McRae, Jeff Montgomery, Jerry Terrell
6. Big John Mayberry, Frank White, Dennis Leonard

Anybody interested in live tweets from camp can follow: twitter.com/ladyduke12 <--- Royals Media Services Coordinator

tigerdale
01-11-2012, 07:39 AM
you're going to have such a great time!! I'll be anxious to hear all about it!! Jon Warden does the Tigers camps too, as he was on the 1968 world series team, and he is just awesome. He has to be one of the funniest guys out there....he's not a big name, but I bet he leaves a big impression on you.

CampWest
01-23-2012, 09:41 AM
One week until camp!

Last couple weeks I have been pretty focused on stretching and clearing my desk of to do items so I can get out of the office for a week during our busy year end reporting cycle.

I neat little perk started up two weeks ago. One of the alumni, Greg Pryor, has organized a few workouts locally, in KC area, for campers and alumni. We've been holding some informal workouts at a facility owned by all-pro former Chiefs OL Will Shields.

The first practice, last week, was Pryor, Bluma and about 20 campers. Consisted of some very high level coaching, tee work, soft toss, live bp, stretching, throwing, some camp stories and tips for surviving the week.

A second practice this past weekend was hosted by Pryor, Bluma, McRae and even Big John Mayberry joined in the fun. Again more stories, stretching, throwing, cage work, and a little infield practice on the astroturf.

We have one final organized practice this coming weekend. Based on what I have seen so far from the guys in camp I have learned two things... First, I think the alumni are going to be a lot of fun to spend a week with. Second, the campers are not going to put up much of a fight in the games against the alumni.

ethanoah
01-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Looking forward to more updates!

Ethan

CampWest
02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Well, it was an incredible week. I am stiff sore and tired, but as long as there were games to play, it was mind over matter. Now that the games are over and the adrenaline is worn off, the aches and pains are much worse...

Anyhow, not a ton of time to give a full recap, but here's a shot of my postings to my family and friends over the course of the week.

+++++++++

And I am off to play baseball for a week... — at Kansas City International Airport (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kansas-City-International-Airport/245867218757801).

Landed in Phoenix. Luggage did not get lost. On bus on way to stadium. — at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (http://www.facebook.com/PHXSkyHarbor).

George Brett took my bags off the bus... #kindofabigdeal

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/416807_2759780472474_1196644229_32342550_106557108 0_n.jpg

Awesome first day. Sweeney said I'm a good athlete, Mayberry loves me. Brett asking me what positions I can play. Threw 5 strikes in 5 pitches and Leonard loved it. George just told me I'm on his team!

That's me to the right of Dye during outfield drills (Mike Chu on Dye's left)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/401476_2762260614476_1196644229_32343211_569556293 _n.jpg

Apparently my nickname is kaczynski. Somebody thinks I look like a serial killer. Might be time to shave the beard...

Rosters...
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417750_2765691820254_1196644229_32344381_619024532 _n.jpg

Rode to stadium with Seitzer and Jerry Terrell. Pictures this morning followed by games at 10 & 2. Then we are all going to NHL game tonight. — at Surprise Stadium (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Surprise-Stadium/146050978764512).

First game down. Lost 9-6, against a good young team. My at bats; hard liner right at left fielder, roped liner single straight up middle, then lasered a ball past diving 3rd baseman for a single (normally a double but they had a shift on me with 4 outfielders). Now just gotta get the glove and the legs working. Hit every ball solid, so pretty happy about that.

Second game we won 6-1. K'ed my first at bat, college pitcher throwing 80ish, weak grounder, and hard liner at 3rd baseman. Glove worked better though, no errors recorded a few outs and playing second base threw a runner out at third on a perfect throw from deep cut-off - a strike to 3rd baseman - one of my best throws ever.

Visited in clubhouse by Eric Hosmer, Johnny Giavotella, Sal Perez, Greg Holland, Joakim Soria, Jarrod Dyson, David Lough.

Game 3 won about 12-9. RBI single on a beautiful swing took a low pitch stayed level kept the barrel back and flipped a liner over short, didn't see a strike in 7 pitches that at bat, lined out to left center and hard ground ball fielders choice to 3rd. Caught 5 innings and now hip is sore...

Best game yet. 12-4 win. Went 3-4 at plate, couple RBI shoulda been 4 but runner pled hammy halfway home. Made a few nice plays in the field. Got a game co- MVP award signed Hosmer ball. Team Blue now 3-1.

Team dinner with George Brett, John Wathan, Bill Pecota, the campers, trainers, and Brett's nephew.

At dinner last night we got another little taste of the big league life and what George goes through on a regular basis, drunk tough guy interrupted our team dinner. Kept grabbing Pecota by the shoulders, insulted Wathan numerous times, told George he loved him but hated him and that he could probably beat George in a fight or arm wrestling. Long story short, dude refused to leave, took 6 of us an...d 2 restaurant staff and several minutes to get him to leave. So if you are ever out and see George and think he seems unfriendly or unapproachable or surly, keep in mind that he is a nice funny guy but constantly aware that eventually some jerk will start a fight with him and refuse to leave when asked nicely several times.

Awesome ball and nickname from a truly great guy, Mike Sweeney, nicknamed me "Camp Serial Killer".
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429221_2780126021100_1196644229_32349238_141599952 6_n.jpg

Through 4 games 6 for 13 for .462 average. Today we play against the alumni In the big stadium.

Phone went dead. Took trainer Nick Schwartz to fix it. Anyhow great alumni game today. Went 1-1 another punching Judy single. Pitched second inning. First time I have pitched since I was 16. First batter I face is Jermaine Dye. 6'4" 235 lbs. Double to right center. Had Willie Aikens down 1-2 but he moved Due to third on a groundout. Seitzer lasered a single rocket 6" away from my beautiful face fo...r an RBI single. Pryor weak fly ball then ended inning on a weak Frank White groundout. I'd been telling George all week I was ready to pitch whenever he needed me and he never gave me the call. After I grooved 6 strikes, he said "Teddy, where ya been hiding that arm?". I said " I told ya I was ready to pitch." And George said "Yeah, but I didn't effin believe ya could actually do it" then gave one of his big belly laughs. Jon Warden on PA announced me as " Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, steps to the plate, oh wait no, that's Wes Campbell, but I still would not open any mail from him."

I've had no fewer than six people come up to me in the last two hours and tell me how awesome my pitching was today. Crazy, can't wait to see some video of it, because from where i was standing, it didn't seem all that great... Just back from dinner with a few teammates. We are trying to keep it pretty low key tonight and get some good rest without too many drinks. Big game tomorrow morning, if we win we go to championship game, lose and we play for third, hopefully.

Me and my main man Mike "Two Time" Chu in a dizzy bat race after Alumni game, Mike beat me by half a step. He ran to 3rd, I ran to 1st.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/402661_2786829668687_1196644229_32351562_352074268 _n.jpg

Woke up early again today. 5:00 sharp. Too geeked up for this morning's championship play-in game to fall back asleep. Basically a 2 game playoff for us today. Awards Banquet tonight at the AZ Cardinals football stadium.

Last ride to the clubhouse

Frank White just put on his Royals jersey for last day of camp, sadly, probably the last time he ever suits up for the Royals. Likely his last Royals camp.

Phew.. Hydrocodone is not on the banned list, no asterisk on my stats...

Lost the play-in game. Lunchtime. ‎1 for 3, tough at bat vs another college pitcher, fouled a liner 2 foot foul down rightfield line, fouled liner 3 foot foul down left field tipped a couple more before he caught me out in front of a great changeup, routine groundout to third, then a great line drive single up the middle. 3rd place game at 2:15.
Dominating finish for the Lofters (team Blue) 15-3. Finished Camp in 3rd place. Caught the last game, was supposed to be starting pitcher but other team had a gob of injuries and requested coach pitch. As consolation I got to catch the full game pitched by opposing coach Frank White, which was pretty special. Went 3 for 4 at the plate and got robbed on a 4-4. Diving catch by third baseman on a scorched ground ball in hole at short and force out at second, only ball he fielded all game. Oh well. Coaches named me "inspirational player of the game" and awarded me with the lineup card signed by both teams coaches; Brett, Wathan, Pecota, White, Mayberry, Leonard.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/423711_2789463774538_1196644229_32352527_158866154 3_n.jpg
Packing up the locker and leaving the stadium is depressing as hell. But leaving with so many memories and new friends, that takes the edge off.

Banquet dinner at AZ Cardinals Football Stadium.

Campers and alumni on the plane heading home to see our families after a fantastic week of baseball. — at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (http://www.facebook.com/PHXSkyHarbor).

Heading back home today a common question was "what was your one favorite thing?". Answers were varied, some said getting to meet and be social with the Alumni players, being treated as part of the fraternal family of major leaguers, some said the clubhouse Bull Sessions, some said it was the alumni game and playing against the legends we grew up watching on TV. For me, I loved it all, but my one ...thing was simply being on that field. I would summarize it as a week of pure baseball. A week with no deadlines, no work, no stresses, no worry, just you, your teammates, the green grass, a bright sunny day and a little white ball. Just living a week of carefree baseball with a great group of like-minded guys, playing for no other reason than to test yourself and play for the love of the game.

frikativ54
02-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Sounds like you had a lot of fun. Congrats on such a great experience and so many hits and RBI. :)

CampWest
02-05-2012, 05:12 PM
recreated a locker in my built-in media center shelves ...

http://home.everestkc.net/wescampbell/bats/Wes%20locker%20sm.jpg

tigerdale
02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
wow....sounds like you had a fantastic week...I enjoyed reading every word what you wrote!!

gingi79
02-05-2012, 10:21 PM
Wes Campbell is so underrated as a hitter and a pitcher. The guy hit .500 in his pro career and HOF George Brett was impressed by his pitching. It's nice to see someone smart enough about baseball to know enough to collect his stuff. :D

CampWest
02-18-2012, 08:49 AM
One of my fantasy camp teammates works for an NPR affiliate out of Columbia Missouri... He put together this spot that aired yesterday, check out the audio just to the right of the picture.

http://kbia.org/post/baseball-fans-fantasy-week

or click this link to get just the audio.

http://cpa.ds.npr.org/kbia/audio/2012/02/OTC021712.mp3

rufusandherschel
02-18-2012, 05:31 PM
Well, it was an incredible week. I am stiff sore and tired, but as long as there were games to play, it was mind over matter. Now that the games are over and the adrenaline is worn off, the aches and pains are much worse...

Anyhow, not a ton of time to give a full recap, but here's a shot of my postings to my family and friends over the course of the week.

+++++++++

And I am off to play baseball for a week... — at Kansas City International Airport (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kansas-City-International-Airport/245867218757801).

Landed in Phoenix. Luggage did not get lost. On bus on way to stadium. — at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (http://www.facebook.com/PHXSkyHarbor).

George Brett took my bags off the bus... #kindofabigdeal

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/416807_2759780472474_1196644229_32342550_106557108 0_n.jpg

Awesome first day. Sweeney said I'm a good athlete, Mayberry loves me. Brett asking me what positions I can play. Threw 5 strikes in 5 pitches and Leonard loved it. George just told me I'm on his team!

That's me to the right of Dye during outfield drills (Mike Chu on Dye's left)

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/401476_2762260614476_1196644229_32343211_569556293 _n.jpg

Apparently my nickname is kaczynski. Somebody thinks I look like a serial killer. Might be time to shave the beard...

Rosters...
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417750_2765691820254_1196644229_32344381_619024532 _n.jpg

Rode to stadium with Seitzer and Jerry Terrell. Pictures this morning followed by games at 10 & 2. Then we are all going to NHL game tonight. — at Surprise Stadium (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Surprise-Stadium/146050978764512).

First game down. Lost 9-6, against a good young team. My at bats; hard liner right at left fielder, roped liner single straight up middle, then lasered a ball past diving 3rd baseman for a single (normally a double but they had a shift on me with 4 outfielders). Now just gotta get the glove and the legs working. Hit every ball solid, so pretty happy about that.

Second game we won 6-1. K'ed my first at bat, college pitcher throwing 80ish, weak grounder, and hard liner at 3rd baseman. Glove worked better though, no errors recorded a few outs and playing second base threw a runner out at third on a perfect throw from deep cut-off - a strike to 3rd baseman - one of my best throws ever.

Visited in clubhouse by Eric Hosmer, Johnny Giavotella, Sal Perez, Greg Holland, Joakim Soria, Jarrod Dyson, David Lough.

Game 3 won about 12-9. RBI single on a beautiful swing took a low pitch stayed level kept the barrel back and flipped a liner over short, didn't see a strike in 7 pitches that at bat, lined out to left center and hard ground ball fielders choice to 3rd. Caught 5 innings and now hip is sore...

Best game yet. 12-4 win. Went 3-4 at plate, couple RBI shoulda been 4 but runner pled hammy halfway home. Made a few nice plays in the field. Got a game co- MVP award signed Hosmer ball. Team Blue now 3-1.

Team dinner with George Brett, John Wathan, Bill Pecota, the campers, trainers, and Brett's nephew.

At dinner last night we got another little taste of the big league life and what George goes through on a regular basis, drunk tough guy interrupted our team dinner. Kept grabbing Pecota by the shoulders, insulted Wathan numerous times, told George he loved him but hated him and that he could probably beat George in a fight or arm wrestling. Long story short, dude refused to leave, took 6 of us an...d 2 restaurant staff and several minutes to get him to leave. So if you are ever out and see George and think he seems unfriendly or unapproachable or surly, keep in mind that he is a nice funny guy but constantly aware that eventually some jerk will start a fight with him and refuse to leave when asked nicely several times.

Awesome ball and nickname from a truly great guy, Mike Sweeney, nicknamed me "Camp Serial Killer".
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429221_2780126021100_1196644229_32349238_141599952 6_n.jpg

Through 4 games 6 for 13 for .462 average. Today we play against the alumni In the big stadium.

Phone went dead. Took trainer Nick Schwartz to fix it. Anyhow great alumni game today. Went 1-1 another punching Judy single. Pitched second inning. First time I have pitched since I was 16. First batter I face is Jermaine Dye. 6'4" 235 lbs. Double to right center. Had Willie Aikens down 1-2 but he moved Due to third on a groundout. Seitzer lasered a single rocket 6" away from my beautiful face fo...r an RBI single. Pryor weak fly ball then ended inning on a weak Frank White groundout. I'd been telling George all week I was ready to pitch whenever he needed me and he never gave me the call. After I grooved 6 strikes, he said "Teddy, where ya been hiding that arm?". I said " I told ya I was ready to pitch." And George said "Yeah, but I didn't effin believe ya could actually do it" then gave one of his big belly laughs. Jon Warden on PA announced me as " Ted Kaczynski, the Unabomber, steps to the plate, oh wait no, that's Wes Campbell, but I still would not open any mail from him."

I've had no fewer than six people come up to me in the last two hours and tell me how awesome my pitching was today. Crazy, can't wait to see some video of it, because from where i was standing, it didn't seem all that great... Just back from dinner with a few teammates. We are trying to keep it pretty low key tonight and get some good rest without too many drinks. Big game tomorrow morning, if we win we go to championship game, lose and we play for third, hopefully.

Me and my main man Mike "Two Time" Chu in a dizzy bat race after Alumni game, Mike beat me by half a step. He ran to 3rd, I ran to 1st.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/402661_2786829668687_1196644229_32351562_352074268 _n.jpg

Woke up early again today. 5:00 sharp. Too geeked up for this morning's championship play-in game to fall back asleep. Basically a 2 game playoff for us today. Awards Banquet tonight at the AZ Cardinals football stadium.

Last ride to the clubhouse

Frank White just put on his Royals jersey for last day of camp, sadly, probably the last time he ever suits up for the Royals. Likely his last Royals camp.

Phew.. Hydrocodone is not on the banned list, no asterisk on my stats...

Lost the play-in game. Lunchtime. ‎1 for 3, tough at bat vs another college pitcher, fouled a liner 2 foot foul down rightfield line, fouled liner 3 foot foul down left field tipped a couple more before he caught me out in front of a great changeup, routine groundout to third, then a great line drive single up the middle. 3rd place game at 2:15.
Dominating finish for the Lofters (team Blue) 15-3. Finished Camp in 3rd place. Caught the last game, was supposed to be starting pitcher but other team had a gob of injuries and requested coach pitch. As consolation I got to catch the full game pitched by opposing coach Frank White, which was pretty special. Went 3 for 4 at the plate and got robbed on a 4-4. Diving catch by third baseman on a scorched ground ball in hole at short and force out at second, only ball he fielded all game. Oh well. Coaches named me "inspirational player of the game" and awarded me with the lineup card signed by both teams coaches; Brett, Wathan, Pecota, White, Mayberry, Leonard.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s320x320/423711_2789463774538_1196644229_32352527_158866154 3_n.jpg
Packing up the locker and leaving the stadium is depressing as hell. But leaving with so many memories and new friends, that takes the edge off.

Banquet dinner at AZ Cardinals Football Stadium.

Campers and alumni on the plane heading home to see our families after a fantastic week of baseball. — at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (http://www.facebook.com/PHXSkyHarbor).

Heading back home today a common question was "what was your one favorite thing?". Answers were varied, some said getting to meet and be social with the Alumni players, being treated as part of the fraternal family of major leaguers, some said the clubhouse Bull Sessions, some said it was the alumni game and playing against the legends we grew up watching on TV. For me, I loved it all, but my one ...thing was simply being on that field. I would summarize it as a week of pure baseball. A week with no deadlines, no work, no stresses, no worry, just you, your teammates, the green grass, a bright sunny day and a little white ball. Just living a week of carefree baseball with a great group of like-minded guys, playing for no other reason than to test yourself and play for the love of the game.

Fabulous summary of a fantastic experience ! Thanks for sharing !

mwbosoxfan
02-18-2012, 06:55 PM
One of my fantasy camp teammates works for an NPR affiliate out of Columbia Missouri... He put together this spot that aired yesterday, check out the audio just to the right of the picture.

http://kbia.org/post/baseball-fans-fantasy-week

or click this link to get just the audio.

http://cpa.ds.npr.org/kbia/audio/2012/02/OTC021712.mp3

Holy smokes... that is priceless, absolutely priceless! Congratualtions, Wes. Those top tier lifetime memory opportunities only come around, well, sometimes once in a lifetime. Great commentary by you and unbelievable radio piece. Thanks for sharing.

John

CampWest
06-03-2012, 09:19 PM
today we had the Alumni Camp reunion... Went on the field for pre-game and first pitch, then went up on the party deck in right field with a bunch of the campers and their friends and family for a private party. Royals won 2-0.

It was a lot of fun seeing all the guys and several of the alumni players were there as well. We got our baseball cards today too. Got most of my team set completed, just missing a few who were not there today.

Also earlier this week we got our camp video and team photo. I'm going to try to rip a couple clips and upload, I'll post a link if I succeed.

I should see most of the guys again in a little over a month as most of us will be at the All Star Game in July.

gingi79
06-03-2012, 11:29 PM
So what brand of wax pack do I have to buy in bulk in hopes I get a Wes Campbell rookie? What happened, did his success go to his head and he wouldn't sign your card? :p

CampWest
12-20-2013, 12:45 AM
I felt like sharing this, but didn't want to create a thread just for this or drop it in the December pickups, so here we are. Over the past couple years, I've picked up a couple custom Rawlings gloves. Its a little silly perhaps, but I find playing catch or softball with a nice glove a little more enjoyable. I have always been drawn to gloves and I decided it was time to treat myself to a couple premium gloves while I'm still young enough to get a decade's worth of use out of them.

The first one is a St Louis Custom Shop infield glove with incredible Horween leather in a classic tan and black finish that I picked up a little over a year ago. The second is a Philippines custom I just received today. This one is inspired by my home team Kansas City Royals and the mitt used by gold glove first baseman Eric Hosmer, though obviously in OF pattern rather than 1st base pattern. Absolutely smitten with this new Royal Blue and Grey/Silver outfield mitt...

Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking.

http://i.imgur.com/xEwNUPa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/od9L8lx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ijWM3od.jpg

+++++

http://i.imgur.com/SKl9JvH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/G5Npx26.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/in1iQhO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VsTXekc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wyhHCnt.jpg

tigerdale
12-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Awesome gloves Wes!!!!!

TNTtoys
12-27-2013, 12:24 PM
Wes,

It took me long enough to get to this thread but I finally did today and am glad I did. Great story... thank you very much for sharing with all of us.

Nick